This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 10 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 15 Mar 24, 13:35 Last Post By: JeffTucker Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
gerbrandy6

Which skin is most useful to be wachted at on smartphones
Posted: 13 Mar 24, 20:31

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi,

Most people use their smartphone nowadays so which skin is most suitable for that?
None of my used skins are really "easy to watch at" on smartphones.
I tried several ones and the latest I used was Tiger, but even that one is not really suitable for smartphones. Photo's are not re-sized correctly, compared with normal desktop screens or some of the layout disappears or is shown too big.

Is there a solution without adding extra scripts or other drastic measures?

Thank you.
RobM

Re: Which skin is most useful to be wachted at on smartphones
Posted: 13 Mar 24, 20:48   in response to: gerbrandy6 in response to: gerbrandy6

All skins on the skins page, except Minimal, are responsive designs and so should all work on mobile phones. Try making a few test albums using different skins and use the preview function to open the album on a smart phone or other mobile device

Have you a recent album made with Tiger that shows what you are not happy about? If so post a link so others can try on their phones.
davidekholm

Posted: 13 Mar 24, 22:02   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Yes, please post a link to a Tiger gallery that doesn't deliver a good experience on mobile devices.

I personally find the "Plain" skin to deliver the best mobile experience on my iPhone 12.
JeffTucker

Posted: 13 Mar 24, 22:18   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
I personally find the "Plain" skin to deliver the best mobile experience on my iPhone 12.

You need to broaden your horizons.

https://jefftucker.jalbum.net/skins/neptune/light/

ETA: Oh, and iPhone 12? How quaint. ;)
mrag

Posted: 13 Mar 24, 23:05   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Don't mind me, just playing. But, besides 'smartphones,' how about albums that play nicely on big screen TVs? (Amazon's FireStick has a built in browser)

For those that don't like keying/typing in URLs, this might help . . .

Edited by: mrag on 13 Mar 2024, 18:06
JeffTucker

Posted: 13 Mar 24, 23:10   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag

Thanks for the assist!

With sufficiently large image bounds, almost any skin will behave on a large TV, as long as the browser is reasonably standards-compliant. But we all know how dodgy integrated browsers can be. Wink-wink, nudge-nudge.
davidekholm

Posted: 15 Mar 24, 10:20   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

ETA: Oh, and iPhone 12? How quaint. ;)

Yes, the mini fits perfectly in my front pocket ;-)
davidekholm

Posted: 15 Mar 24, 10:24   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

You need to broaden your horizons.

https://jefftucker.jalbum.net/skins/neptune/light/

Fairly fine experience aside from the fact that one doesn't get rid of the large white borders around the images in the lightbox when pinch-zooming. I prefer the image to occupy as much as the phone's screen real estate as possible. Can that be addressed?
JeffTucker

Posted: 15 Mar 24, 13:18   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Fairly fine experience aside from the fact that one doesn't get rid of the large white borders around the images in the lightbox when pinch-zooming. I prefer the image to occupy as much as the phone's screen real estate as possible. Can that be addressed?

In a word, no. One fundamental difference between a Laza lightbox and the lightbox script I'm using is that, in my skins, nothing ever overlaps the slide images - no controls (except for some optional hover arrows), no captions, no image counters, etc. But that also means that once the lightbox frame (and its aspect ratio) has been established, the image can't "bust out" of that frame and go truly fullscreen.

That demo album is a very lean, stripped-down experience, but the skin has to accommodate more complicated things. An example, which will perhaps give you the flavor of the problem:

https://jefftucker.jalbum.net/LBframe/

Notice the borders, the metadata popup, etc. Imagine what would have to happen if you suddenly wanted to show the image in a different aspect ratio. The script would need to completely repaint the frame in response to every user interaction. It's just not geared to that.

The Floatbox developer is, like me, now over 70. I managed to drag him out of retirement to address a few things a while back, but he has now irrevocably washed his hands of it. I don't blame him - I'm rapidly heading in that direction. Who wants to spend his final years engaged in thankless tasks? ;)
davidekholm

Posted: 15 Mar 24, 13:22   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Uh, that hurt :-(. I'm sorry we're not compensating a hero like you economically, or a pony... ;-) You should have a lot of credit for doing what you do.
JeffTucker

Posted: 15 Mar 24, 13:35   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Oh, it's not jAlbum AB that's thankless - it's the users.

Check your email....
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums