This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 31 Jul 23, 19:07 Last Post By: JeffTucker Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
nigel-aves

Web Site redesigned using WebSite X5 and jAlbum
Posted: 28 Jul 23, 01:03

Click to reply to this thread Reply
As I'm sure many of you have seen there seems to be a tie up / collaboration between jAlbum and WebSite X5.

I've just finished redesigning one of my photography websites using both programs, with WebSite X5 being the front end, and jAlbum being second level down with tons of my photographs that you can get to via links or menu.

Link: Nigel Aves Photography

It's hard to fully test this from home, and I am unable to test on a Mac. If you see something that is wrong or just doesn't look right, please screenshot it and send me an Email: nigel.aves@gmail.com

Take Good Care, Stay Safe Out There .... Nigel.

p.s. WebSite X5 has a reasonably tough learning curve. We also need a way of getting better integration between the programs!
JeffTucker

Re: Web Site redesigned using WebSite X5 and jAlbum
Posted: 28 Jul 23, 14:38   in response to: nigel-aves in response to: nigel-aves

Attachment ss011063.png (966.6 KB)
There's a broken header.jpg image on almost every page, top left. See screenshot.

And why have you decapitated Jessikah? ;)
JeffTucker

Posted: 28 Jul 23, 14:42   in response to: nigel-aves in response to: nigel-aves

nigel-aves wrote:
As I'm sure many of you have seen there seems to be a tie up / collaboration between jAlbum and WebSite X5.

I'm unaware of any connection between jAlbum and WebSite X5.
nigel-aves

Posted: 28 Jul 23, 15:56   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Jeff,

Interesting! Just over one month ago I had a message from jAlbum that was offering a discount on WebSite X5, I had a look and liked it (going back "old school"). One week ago I had another email but from WebSite X5 offering a discount on jAlbum.

I therefore may have assumed incorrectly! Which would not be the first time.

Anyways, if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, but having the two programs "talking" to each other would actually make a wonderful design suit.

Nigel.
JeffTucker

Posted: 28 Jul 23, 16:00   in response to: nigel-aves in response to: nigel-aves

Sounds like just a little cross-marketing, not any sort of technical collaboration. jAlbum offers its own discounts from time to time, and I'm sure WebSite X5 does the same. Swapping with another software vendor would increase exposure for both. "You advertise our discount, and we'll advertise yours."
davidekholm

Posted: 31 Jul 23, 12:53   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker wrote:
Sounds like just a little cross-marketing, not any sort of technical collaboration. jAlbum offers its own discounts from time to time, and I'm sure WebSite X5 does the same. Swapping with another software vendor would increase exposure for both. "You advertise our discount, and we'll advertise yours."

Yes, that's how it's done. As I wrote in the newsletter, we are both desktop software developers, appealing to users that are skeptical about depending on centralized cloud services. As jAlbum and WebSite X5 complements each other, it felt natural to do a mutual deal. There's nothing else going on here.
davidekholm

Posted: 31 Jul 23, 12:54   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

By the way, good to see you use both software titles Nigel. Thanks for sharing! I hope we see more of this. If you have concrete suggestions on how to simplify integration, let either of us know!
nigel-aves

Posted: 31 Jul 23, 19:02   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

David,

Because we will never get matching templates ( :) ) probably the easiest way would be to add a section in jAlbum settings, maybe looking like this.

Integrate with WebSite X5 yes/no

If yes

First level directory name jAlbum-(name of project) ## allow keyin.
Home button to top level yes/no ## up arrow appears even though at top of jAlbum.
Name of top level HTML index.html (default) ## allow keyin

This is very similar to what I've done by hand, except I've had to add an icon with the name "Home" (takes you to top level) in the topmost level of jAlbum.

Just a thought. Nigel.
JeffTucker

Posted: 31 Jul 23, 19:07   in response to: nigel-aves in response to: nigel-aves

nigel-aves wrote:
...I've had to add an icon with the name "Home" (takes you to top level) in the topmost level of jAlbum.

Virtually every skin takes care of that automatically. Enter the target URL (use an absolute URL) and the text you want (the tooltip) under Settings > Pages > Link to external homepage.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums