Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 43 - Pages: 3 [ 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: 23 May 23, 16:15 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
davidekholm

jAlbum 31 beta for testing
Posted: 15 May 23, 16:00
jAlbum 31 is around the corner now. I dare to claim that this update is the most important one in years. So what have we done? We've integrated jAlbum with mobile phones using clever QR codes!

Changes:
  • New "Add from phone" button to allow direct and fast transfer of images and videos from mobile phones and tablets to the current jAlbum folder. Simply point your phone's camera onto the displayed QR code and follow the link
  • The embedded browser now has a "Phone previewer" button that allows you to preview and view galleries on your phone using a QR code
  • SHIFT-click either preview button to preview galleries on your phone
  • Collaborative albums now has a "QR-invite" option, allowing people to contribute to an album with their phone images through QR codes
  • The full screen review mode now scales-up images that are smaller than the screen
  • The full screen review mode now displays the image dimensions as well

Ensure that both your phone and jAlbum is on the same network and that you haven't blocked jAlbum from network access in your software firewall.

How does it work?
When you wish to add images or videos from your phone, use the "Add -> From phone" button. This will pop up a QR code that prompts you to point your phone's camera onto the displayed QR code. When following the link now showing in your phone, your phone will now browse to an "uploader page" provided by jAlbum. Now simply use the "Select photos" button to add photos and videos from your camera library. When done, hit the "Upload" button to have these files transferred to jAlbum.

The "Add from phone" dialog closes automatically, but the "Add from phone" service continues to work until it's been idle for 5 minutes. To restart it, just click the "Add from phone" button again.

The "Upload page" can be bookmarked and even saved to your phone's home screen for fast access. "Add from phone" works on both iOS and Android devices.

Installers:
Windows: https://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum-install.exe
Mac: https://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum.dmg
Zip: https://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum.zip
JeffTucker

Re: jAlbum 31 beta for testing
Posted: 15 May 23, 16:34   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Working like a champ on my Win11 machine. But on my ancient Macbook Air (macOS 11.7.6), I'm getting a consistent *ERROR 500" on upload. The console coughs up this:
java.io.IOException: Read-only file system
	at java.base/java.io.UnixFileSystem.createFileExclusively0(Native Method)
	at java.base/java.io.UnixFileSystem.createFileExclusively(Unknown Source)
davidekholm

Posted: 15 May 23, 17:42   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
Thanks Jeff, I happened to bump into that one just a few minutes earlier (didn't happen during development). Now fixed. I've updated both the jalbum-core.jar file and the jAlbum.dmg archive.
JeffTucker

Posted: 15 May 23, 18:07   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
That's better. :)

Unintended side-effect: this is a faster way to get images from my iPhone to my PC than waiting for them to upload to iCloud, and then synch to iCloud for Windows, which sometimes doesn't work until I give it a swift kick. ;)
mrag

Posted: 15 May 23, 18:31   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
Attachment jA31b7-1.jpg (46.8 KB)
FWIW, minor initiation issue on Win10
davidekholm

Posted: 15 May 23, 18:52   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
mrag wrote:

Odd. I'm not seeing that odd version number. I can't even locate it within the parameters for the installer. I'll check with the installer maker whether one can configure the firewall during installation.
davidekholm

Posted: 15 May 23, 18:53   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
JeffTucker wrote:
That's better. :)

Unintended side-effect: this is a faster way to get images from my iPhone to my PC than waiting for them to upload to iCloud, and then synch to iCloud for Windows, which sometimes doesn't work until I give it a swift kick. ;)

Yes. I asked one friend how he gets his iPhone images into his PC, and he used a cable. Now there is an easier way :-). I'm pretty stoked about this addition.
RobM

Posted: 15 May 23, 19:15   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
mrag wrote:
Have you still got two versions of jAlbum installed? Just wondering if that might be the cause.
mrag

Posted: 15 May 23, 22:51   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
No second version. An install on Win11 laptop went much better. The initiation screen had the correct box check and referred to jAlbum 30.0.0

I have another Win10 somewhere (don't ask why) and I'lll give that a try.

The old Win 10 laptop with Windows Defender now reports version jAlbum 30.34
It also leaves checked the box on "public networks" and leaves unchecked the "private" box

Edited by: mrag on 15 May 2023, 17:26
JeffTucker

Posted: 15 May 23, 23:30   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
  • The embedded browser now has a "Phone previewer" button that allows you to preview and view galleries on your phone using a QR code

Works very well, but as long as it's shackled to the integrated/windowed browser, it's of limited utility. I can't, in good conscience, recommend that anyone use the integrated/windowed browser. It just has too many problems (one of which I just stumbled on - I'll test a bit more, and post about it if I can nail it down).
davidekholm

Posted: 15 May 23, 23:46   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
I know the embedded browser lags behind but this button makes it a bit better anyway. I’ll soon move to Java 20. This will give us an updated browser component but sadly also require Java 17 minimum, so we will have to say good bye to some older OSes.

Shift click the preview button to see the phone preview QR code
JeffTucker

Posted: 15 May 23, 23:50   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Shift click the preview button to see the phone preview QR code

Used that way, it is very handy. The device simulators in the various browsers are pretty good, but not really a substitute for the real thing. This saves the laborious steps of uploading the test album, then entering the URL into the phone browser to go look at it. I like it. :)
RobM

Posted: 16 May 23, 00:54   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
When I shift click on the preview I get the QR code and it works, but with a warning the connection is not secure and the identity of the website hasn't been verified. Strange since it from local host ;)
davidekholm

Posted: 16 May 23, 09:48   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
When I shift click on the preview I get the QR code and it works, but with a warning the connection is not secure and the identity of the website hasn't been verified. Strange since it from local host ;)

I guess we have to live with that
JeffTucker

Posted: 16 May 23, 14:43   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:

What browser? Brave doesn't complain about it (I use it everywhere - desktop, laptop, phone).
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums