This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 67 - Pages: 5 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ] - Last Post: 4 Dec 23, 12:11 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
davidekholm

Re: ANOTHER all images rebuilt upon upload thread.
Posted: 1 Dec 23, 17:23   in response to: SharpByCoop in response to: SharpByCoop

Click to reply to this thread Reply
SharpByCoop wrote:
I had sent you log in info early yesterday. I have sent it again. It's probably in your SPAM folder and so now I sent it from my reliable personal account. Please check...

I've got it now :-).

1. So....If the 'manifest' file is the information grand overlord, would it be a workaround for me to DUPLICATE and rename that file before I begin an upload?

No, as it won't contain the newly added/changed files then.

As soon as it begins, and subsequently HANGS and ABORTS, that file is now deleted and gone. Right?

Yes, and that's correct behavior.

This is why I can't find it after the problem occurs... And then it's lost it's record and reformats EVERY file.

jlbum shouldn't re-upload everyfile anyway. This is what I'll be looking into with the help of your account.

But if I have a copy and then rename it BACK to the original, and begin anew, I get a second chance? Fingers crossed.

Please don't try anything at the moment. Well, you can try one thing and that's to switch the ftp connection type from "ftp (edtftpj)" to "ftp (ftp4j)". That MAY help the upload behavior. (It's using another ftp client library for communication then)
JeffTucker

Posted: 1 Dec 23, 17:27   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
...you can try one thing and that's to switch the ftp connection type from "ftp (edtftpj)" to "ftp (ftp4j)". That MAY help the upload behavior.

Even better, switch to SFTP. You'll have to check with your web host to get the settings right (they often use a nonstandard port number).
SharpByCoop

Posted: 1 Dec 23, 18:38   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Thank you BOTH. I will await your prognosis.

I'm all set for a while anyway.

Jim
davidekholm

Posted: 2 Dec 23, 17:04   in response to: SharpByCoop in response to: SharpByCoop

Thanks Jim,

I can reproduce this problem. There is an incompatibility problem between your ftp server and the "ftp (edtftpj)" ftp client library we're using in jAlbum. I'll see if I can fix it, given that I get to continue having access to your server for a while.

In the meantime, there is a perfect workaround and that's to either use the "sftp" connection type (preferred) or the "ftp (ftp4j)" type (i.e. ftp client library). You set the connection type under Tools->Upload/Manage

Regards
/David
SharpByCoop

Posted: 2 Dec 23, 17:12   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Wow... WOW!

I will do nothing for a week as I complete new work, but I am SO relieved that a solution (obscure as it was ) is apparent to you. I sure did not have further insight.

Jeff has suggested a change in FTP all along. OK, there I am.

Keep me posted. I appreciate you.

(I hope this helps someone else as well. That's the overarching reason we make this public.)

Jim
davidekholm

Posted: 3 Dec 23, 10:28   in response to: SharpByCoop in response to: SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop wrote:
(I hope this helps someone else as well. That's the overarching reason we make this public.)

It sure does. This elusive bug has been haunting jAlbum for years, but I've never been able to reproduce it, until now :-)

When I can reproduce a bug, chances are really high that I can fix them as well.
SharpByCoop

Posted: 3 Dec 23, 23:29   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

OK!

I got the Jalbum Update notice, and downloaded/installed that (Ver. 33.3)

I then added a dozen new files, rebuilt the album on my Mac and then hit 'Upload'.

It processed MORE than the files I added. It was processing 688mb of files. Many were OLD files I had not added, and methinks they were possibly messed up in the previous attempts?

It took some time, and THEN it stopped halfway and gave me this error: 'Operation Timed Out'. Huh?! Oh no.....

So I went ahead and hit 'upload' again. (This is where it would begin to rebuild ALL 16gb of files before.)

Not so. It resumed at the halfway mark from previous attempt and completed 299mb of upload. Done! Showed the website and it was ALL GOOD.

As another trial I went in and simply repositioned ONE image. I hit rebuild and then uploaded. This time it went through it quickly, and yet still processed 18mb of old image files. But.... it cruised through them to completion.

I am SO thankful. It even provided a hiccup, yet it took over where it left off. Perfecto!

Thank you.

Jim
davidekholm

Posted: 4 Dec 23, 12:11   in response to: SharpByCoop in response to: SharpByCoop

Great! If you also are able to replace that modem you might have a more stable connection as well. I think the fix (moving to the newer "MLSD" command instead of the "LIST" command) will work for all ftp servers today. I read in an old FileZilla forum from 2015 that they decided to stop supporting LIST already then . That's a clear indication that we can expect the new fix to kick in for all servers (we still support "LIST" for ancient ftp servers, but should probably dump it as well)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums