This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 25 - Pages: 2 [ Previous | 1 2 ] - Last Post: 22 Sep 22, 18:52 Last Post By: MarkusD Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
RobM

Re: Variant image debugging problem
Posted: 20 Sep 22, 18:47   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Click to reply to this thread Reply
davidekholm wrote:
I've adjusted the console window now to allow selected expressions to be executed from either the upper or lower panel of the system console.
Is there then a reason to have two panels?
AndreWolff

Posted: 20 Sep 22, 19:13   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
I've adjusted the console window now to allow selected expressions to be executed from either the upper or lower panel of the system console.
Thanks!

The first thing I do if I open the console window is removing the text:
jAlbum 29b12 system console running Groovy (Groovy Scripting Engine)
This section captures debug prints sent to System.out and System.err
The top section evaluates expressions.
Press Ctrl+E to evaluate an expression. (Evaluates selected text if selection is active)
You have access to the basic jAlbum implicit objects such as engine and window

Sample expressions:
4*(3+2); // Basic calculations
engine.getSkin(); // Use of implicit object
for (AlbumObject ao : selectedObjects) System.out.println(ao); // Iterate over selected objects
window.messageBox("You can interact with any Java object");
so that is easier to see what is really important.

You could do me a favour to remove this text always and explain this in the help if I click the help button!
JeffTucker

Posted: 20 Sep 22, 20:11   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
davidekholm wrote:

I'd prefer to have it stick to input in the top panel, and output in the bottom panel. Otherwise, you'd have to select text before executing something, which wouldn't be very convenient if you're tinkering with multiple lines of code.
davidekholm

Posted: 20 Sep 22, 22:05   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker wrote:

I'd prefer to have it stick to input in the top panel, and output in the bottom panel. Otherwise, you'd have to select text before executing something, which wouldn't be very convenient if you're tinkering with multiple lines of code.

You don't have to select anything. If you don't, jAlbum executes everything entered in the upper panel.
davidekholm

Posted: 20 Sep 22, 22:08   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:

You could do me a favour to remove this text always and explain this in the help if I click the help button!

You wouldn't had had the initial confusion on where to enter code had you just read that text :-)

I think it is a great help to see some samples to get people started. I don't see what harm those sample expressions cause. It's far more inviting to explore scripting if you see some scriptlet examples right away than having to hunt for them in the help documentation.
davidekholm

Posted: 20 Sep 22, 22:11   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
davidekholm wrote:

Yes, it's more convenient to put small scriptlets in the upper panel and have the output go in the lower panel. The output is sometimes lengthy, and if we would force users to mix input and output on the same panel, then they'd need to scroll back and forth between the input script and the generated output. It becomes pretty much like the old BASIC nightmare from the early 80's ;-). But now you CAN actually select and execute statements from the lower panel too, as a quick convenience, so it's up to you.
RobM

Posted: 20 Sep 22, 22:21   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
RobM wrote:
davidekholm wrote:

Yes, it's more convenient to put small scriptlets in the upper panel and have the output go in the lower panel. The output is sometimes lengthy, and if we would force users to mix input and output on the same panel, then they'd need to scroll back and forth between the input script and the generated output. It becomes pretty much like the old BASIC nightmare from the early 80's ;-). But now you CAN actually select and execute statements from the lower panel too, as a quick convenience, so it's up to you.

OK. I've got it.
RobM

Posted: 20 Sep 22, 22:25   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
Thanks!

The first thing I do if I open the console window is removing the text...

The documentation already explains the use of the two panels. It needs updating now but it described how it was working perfectly well.
JeffTucker

Posted: 20 Sep 22, 22:25   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
You don't have to select anything. If you don't, jAlbum executes everything entered in the upper panel.

Yes, I get that. But if there were only a single panel, you would have to select something. And if your code was faulty, and dumped 50 lines of error messages, you'd have to scroll back up to find and modify the code you were messing with.
davidekholm

Posted: 21 Sep 22, 12:37   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker wrote:
davidekholm wrote:

Yes, I get that. But if there were only a single panel, you would have to select something. And if your code was faulty, and dumped 50 lines of error messages, you'd have to scroll back up to find and modify the code you were messing with.

Exactly. 2 panels is a good thing, but it doesn't hurt that jAlbum now allows code to be selected and executed in the lower panel too. I've added a comment to the upper panel: // Code input area. This will hopefully make its use a bit more clear
MarkusD

Posted: 22 Sep 22, 18:52   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Thanks David and Jeff for fixing this!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums