This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 15 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 6 Sep 22, 03:24 Last Post By: allenhuffman Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
allenhuffman

Sorting albums/files by name broken if using LINK/MIRROR CONTENT
Posted: 5 Sep 22, 21:06

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I have used Jalbum for many years (since around 2006, version 6.x), and have always done the:

How do you wish to add these items? LINK
and
Choose folder linking behaviour: LINK TO FOLDER

This creates a ton of .jalbum folders where my master photo files are, and also means if I try to make a different gallery using the same photos, they use the original settings.

The other day, I decided to RTFM a bit and discovered I could make it so .jalbum files go in My Albums instead, which is much better for me, so now I try:

How do you wish to add these items? LINK
and
Choose folder linking behaviour: MIRROR CONTENT

When I do this way, photo/folder sorting no longer works. It changes back to CUSTOM sorting. I can manually select:

View->Order by : Name
and
View->Order folders by : Folders first / Name

That will sort the CURRENT folder properly... But then I'd have to do it for thousands of subfolders to get them sorting correctly.

Since I have never used this MIRROR CONTENT option before, can anyone confirm that it works for them, or has ever worked for them? I have a support ticket, and now have the steps to produce the issue and thought I'd share here.

Thanks...

Edited by: allenhuffman on 5 Sep 2022, 14:57
allenhuffman

Re: Sorting albums/files by name broken if using LINK/MIRROR CONTENT
Posted: 5 Sep 22, 21:30   in response to: allenhuffman in response to: allenhuffman

I see there is a "Tools -> External Tools -> Apply ordering to subfolders" but that doesn't seem to do anything.
allenhuffman

Posted: 5 Sep 22, 21:47   in response to: allenhuffman in response to: allenhuffman

I'll add another note... while the above Tools did NOT change the sort order shown in the left column, it DOES effect the preview folder order. That's probably good enough, but it's clearly out-of-sync visually.
RobM

Posted: 5 Sep 22, 21:54   in response to: allenhuffman in response to: allenhuffman

If I am in the root folder and set ordering to say 'Last modified' then run the tool all the contents of all subfolders are now ordered by last modified.
RobM

Posted: 5 Sep 22, 21:56   in response to: allenhuffman in response to: allenhuffman

allenhuffman wrote:
I'll add another note... while the above Tools did NOT change the sort order shown in the left column, it DOES effect the preview folder order. That's probably good enough, but it's clearly out-of-sync visually.
Try refreshing the view, F5 or Menu>View>Update

Edited by: RobM on 5 Sep 2022, 20:57
Or save and reload the project
JeffTucker

Posted: 5 Sep 22, 21:57   in response to: allenhuffman in response to: allenhuffman

Just my two cents....

I'm sure David or RobM will be along shortly to describe how to do something like ALT-CTRL-SHIFT-drag while balancing a chocolate chip on the tip of your nose. I've never been able to sort out any of that.

I choose to avoid all of that folderol. I have my default set to copy images into the project, but this works equally well if you choose to link the images used in the project. How do I stay out of trouble? I never add a folder to a project. If I want the images that are sitting in a folder, like somewhere in Pictures, I choose Add, then select those images. If I want folders in the project, I create them in the project, then add images to them.

Hey, presto, all of the jAlbum control files stay in the project in My Albums, and there are no sorting mysteries.

The downside, of course, is that if you make changes to the source folders, those changes don't magically appear in the project. But I don't think I've ever had occasion to do that. Once I've created a project, I don't want changes elsewhere to suddenly appear in it. If you're linking to the source images, changes to the original images will transfer to the project, however.
allenhuffman

Posted: 5 Sep 22, 22:00   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

I started taking digital photos in 1996. I've gone through dozens of different gallery programs over the year, each time having to move on when my library got so large it broke them. I landed with Jalbum in 2006 and this is really the first issue I've had with it. This one gallery is over 50,000 images and hundreds and hundreds of folders.

The bug of it working differently will hopefully be something they can fix, and the extra manual step of using the Tools->External Tools is good for me for now, though the display column being out of order still bugs me. At least I know, for now, not to trust it :)
RobM

Posted: 5 Sep 22, 22:03   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker wrote:
Just my two cents....

I'm sure David or RobM will be along shortly to describe how to do something like ALT-CTRL-SHIFT-drag while balancing a chocolate chip on the tip of your nose. I've never been able to sort out any of that.

I made an external tool that does the ordering in a slightly different way. You select the ordering method, for the whole project, from a dropdown menu. Select reverse if you want it reverse sorted and folders first if you want that too. AFAIK there is no secret handshake, gesture or key combination to make it easier.
JeffTucker

Posted: 5 Sep 22, 22:09   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

I'm sure your excellent tool performs as advertised. I'm talking only about the process of adding things to a project. In fact, if pressed, I wouldn't even be able to describe to someone how to end up being prompted to choose "mirror." I never see that option.
RobM

Posted: 5 Sep 22, 22:29   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker wrote:
I'm sure your excellent tool performs as advertised. I'm talking only about the process of adding things to a project. In fact, if pressed, I wouldn't even be able to describe to someone how to end up being prompted to choose "mirror." I never see that option.
With the preference setting set to use copy you won't ever see the mirror content option. If it is set to ask or link then a user would select empty project, add or drag/drop a folder of objects, confirm project name add album description if desired, click 'OK'. You can now choose either 'Link to folder' or 'Mirror content'. With an existing project the option to mirror will show with any added folder.
JeffTucker

Posted: 5 Sep 22, 22:35   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

So when does the chocolate chip enter into it?
RobM

Posted: 5 Sep 22, 22:49   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker wrote:
So when does the chocolate chip enter into it?
That's for dunking it your tea after making the album ;)
allenhuffman

Posted: 6 Sep 22, 03:06   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
If I am in the root folder and set ordering to say 'Last modified' then run the tool all the contents of all subfolders are now ordered by last modified.

Yes, it 100% has worked that way for me since I started using this at version 6.1 back in 2006. And it works for me that way, too, if I am not using "Mirror Content." I can delete, add them the old way, and all is good. I delete, add them and use Mirror content, and scrambled.

It appears to be related to whatever is different about Mirror Content.
allenhuffman

Posted: 6 Sep 22, 03:18   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker wrote:

You get this when creating a new project. You may have clicked the "don't ask me again" checkbox long ago so you won't see it.
JeffTucker

Posted: 6 Sep 22, 03:21   in response to: allenhuffman in response to: allenhuffman

allenhuffman wrote:
You get this when creating a new project. You may have clicked the "don't ask me again" checkbox long ago so you won't see it.

Only if you're linking, and only if you're adding entire folders. I never add entire folders, so I never get that prompt.

And given what I'm doing with jAlbum, no "don't ask me again" setting lasts for long. I'm routinely running beta versions (and sometimes alpha versions), deleting default settings, and so on. I'm not a typical user, by any stretch of the imagination.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums