Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 150 - Pages: 11 [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] - Last Post: 27 Sep 22, 21:55 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
davidekholm

jAlbum on Java 18
Posted: 25 Aug 22, 17:20
Woohoo, we now have jAlbum 28.2beta running on Java 18 with an updated external Nashorn JavaScript engine. We've been historically blocked from moving beyond Java 14 due to the lack of the Nashorn JavaScript engine, but we were now able to integrate an external open source fork of the Nashorn JavaScript engine into jAlbum running on Java 18.
Moving to Java 18 from Java 14 will open up more abilities:
  • Ability to use modern libraries that integrate with native code, for instance for reading RAW files
  • Support for Apple's M1 CPU architecture
  • Enjoy Java language updates
  • Enjoy Java library updates, for instance use of Apple's "Metal" graphics library.

Please try it out. It also has the updated JSCH library that connects to GoDaddy ftp hosting.

Installers:
Mac: https://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum.dmg
Mac M1: https://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum-M1.dmg
Windows: https://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum-install.exe
Linux (Debian): https://jalbum.net/download/jalbum.deb
JeffTucker

Re: jAlbum on Java 18
Posted: 25 Aug 22, 18:27   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
No immediate smoke or flames, but my skins don't use Nashorn, I don't have an M1 chip, and I wouldn't be caught dead using GoDaddy hosting. ;)

I tried using one of scuba-fan's DNG files, and that still crashes jAlbum instantly, so I'm guessing you haven't rolled any new RAW libraries into this beta.
davidekholm

Posted: 25 Aug 22, 18:29   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
JeffTucker wrote:
No immediate smoke or flames, but my skins don't use Nashorn, I don't have an M1 chip, and I wouldn't be caught dead using GoDaddy hosting. ;)

I tried using one of scuba-fan's DNG files, and that still crashes jAlbum instantly, so I'm guessing you haven't rolled any new RAW libraries into this beta.

That's correct. That will be the next step.
RobM

Posted: 25 Aug 22, 21:09   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Tried it with Tiger - with .htt (JavaScript) templates and widgets. No issues.
ctwist

Posted: 25 Aug 22, 21:22   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
I installed this in a new folder. I didn't rename this folder. While starting up, it crashed. The event log contained this.
Faulting application name: jAlbum.exe, version: 28.1.9.0, time stamp: 0x5b97ec0e
Faulting module name: jfxwebkit.dll, version: 8.0.2810.9, time stamp: 0x5fd0a880
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\jAlbum28.2\jAlbum.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8\jre\bin\jfxwebkit.dll
jAlbum is getting some Java executables from another Java instance.

When I run jAlbum 28.1.5, the Help screen shows that java.library.path starts with
java.library.path=C:\Program Files\jAlbum;C:\WINDOWS\Sun\Java\bin;;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8\jre\bin;
Shouldn't this be
java.library.path=C:\Program Files\jAlbum\jre64\bin;C:\WINDOWS\Sun\Java\bin;;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8\jre\bin;
davidekholm

Posted: 25 Aug 22, 22:36   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist
Thanks for this report Chris. You're right, something is wrong with java.library.path. It's missing the bin folder of the Java engine as the primary entry which leads to it loading the webkit dll from your Java 8 installation. I have to investigate how java.library.path is set up.

I suspect a bug in Advanced Installer. We might need to update it.
davidekholm

Posted: 25 Aug 22, 22:47   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Chris, what if you edit jAlbum.ini and edit the line "Virtual Machine Parameters", add the following just after the -Xmx setting:
-Djava.library.path="C:\Program Files\jAlbum\jre64\bin"

Save and run jAlbum again. Any change?
ctwist

Posted: 25 Aug 22, 23:41   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
That fixed it. It starts without any errors.

The help window shows
java.library.path C:\Program Files\jAlbum28.2\jre64\bin
davidekholm

Posted: 26 Aug 22, 10:03   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist
Great. I'll modify the installer script to include this. I suspect a bug in the installer (incompatibility with Java 18)
ctwist

Posted: 26 Aug 22, 14:47   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
But I diagnosed this in jAlbum 28.1.5, so the problem also affects Java 14.
davidekholm

Posted: 26 Aug 22, 15:26   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist
ctwist wrote:
But I diagnosed this in jAlbum 28.1.5, so the problem also affects Java 14.

Ok, good to know.
JeffTucker

Posted: 26 Aug 22, 15:45   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
FWIW, I've never encountered this issue, and I've got JDK 18, JavaFX 18, and JRE 1.8 all installed on my system. My java.library.path looks like this (with some line breaks, for readability):
C:\Program Files\jAlbum;
C:\WINDOWS\Sun\Java\bin;
C:\WINDOWS\system32;
C:\WINDOWS;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath;
C:\Program Files\jAlbum\jre64\bin;
C:\Windows\system32;
C:\Windows;
C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;
C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;
C:\WINDOWS\system32;
C:\WINDOWS;
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;
C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;
C:\WINDOWS\System32\OpenSSH\;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;
C:\Program Files\dotnet\;
C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;
C:\Users\jefft\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;;.
ETA: What's interesting is what's not in the list. JRE 1.8 plants itself in C:\Program Files\Java, and I've stuck the JDK stuff in the same place.
ctwist

Posted: 26 Aug 22, 17:04   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
I didn't encounter this problem until the latest jAlbum beta.

Maybe Java 14 tolerates old versions of some Java DLLs, but Java 18 doesn't.
JeffTucker

Posted: 26 Aug 22, 17:09   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist
But I'm not running into it with the latest beta, either.
ctwist

Posted: 26 Aug 22, 17:18   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
It's likely that my Windows java.library.path is not correct. Should it really contain a path to the Java 8 installation? Maybe not, but the Java installer constructed this, so maybe other users have a similar issue.
In any case, it seems prudent to ensure that the jAlbum Java path is at the beginning of its modified java.library.path.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums