This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 38 - Pages: 3 [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: 7 Oct 22, 18:30 Last Post By: scuba_fan Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
RobM

Re: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION When Browsing a folder from JAlbum
Posted: 5 Aug 22, 23:14   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Click to reply to this thread Reply
JeffTucker wrote:
Nice detective work. Sounds like the library that jAlbum is using needs some updating, since Apple is using the new, problematic version of DNG. Not exactly a fringe case. ;)
As far as I can tell LibRaw has not been updated for six years (installed version is 0.17), the current beta version is 0.21.

Until an update the only fix looks like converting the DNG to a more backward compatible version.

Edited by: JeffTucker on 5 Aug 2022, 17:25 - jAlbum installed version is, I believe, 0.17, not 0.71. It must be Dyslexic Friday!
scuba_fan

Posted: 8 Aug 22, 22:47   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

I used Adobe DNG Converter to do the same as you noted and yup, that works. I did not try to embed the original DNG using the convert options.

Great detective work, and thank you.
I'll have to temporarily add a step in my flow to convert first until this is resolved natively inside jAlbum.

For the time being, I can work with this...Thank you!
davidekholm

Posted: 9 Aug 22, 18:12   in response to: scuba_fan in response to: scuba_fan

Back from vacation.
You're right, we need to update to the latest libraw libraries. I tried downloading the "binaries" for various OSes, but there are no precompiled files (".dylib" on Mac) available, and when compiling I end up in a never ending list of errors due to missing 3:rd party build tools. I'll eventually get there, but if anyone can manage delivering precompiled ".dll", ".so" and ".dylib" files for Windows, Mac and Linux, it will save me a lot of time.
RobM

Posted: 9 Aug 22, 20:33   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Sorry, I don't have Xcode installed and my download speed is too slow for the file size (12.3GB). I doubt there are many (any?) other jAlbum users that have installed Xcode and do active builds.
scuba_fan

Posted: 10 Aug 22, 05:30   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

I have xcode installed on my mac but I'm leaving tomorrow for two weeks. if this is still open when I return, we can catch up and I'll jump in to assist.

Edited by: scuba_fan on 9 Aug 2022, 23:30
JeffTucker

Posted: 10 Aug 22, 14:40   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Attachment libraw.dll (1,011.0 KB)
davidekholm wrote:
...if anyone can manage delivering precompiled ".dll", ".so" and ".dylib" files for Windows, Mac and Linux, it will save me a lot of time.

Can't help you with macOS and Linux, but the Windows dll is in the downloadable zip file. Attached.

ETA: This is from LibRaw v. 0.20.2.
RobM

Posted: 10 Aug 22, 14:44   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

I suspect the Mac files might exist in other applications, like gimp, dark table etc. Though what version they use I wouldn’t know.
davidekholm

Posted: 10 Aug 22, 14:56   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
...if anyone can manage delivering precompiled ".dll", ".so" and ".dylib" files for Windows, Mac and Linux, it will save me a lot of time.

Can't help you with macOS and Linux, but the Windows dll is in the downloadable zip file. Attached.

ETA: This is from LibRaw v. 0.20.2.

Thanks. I recompiled lib/jlibraw-all.jar using your updated dll, but it still crashes (Windows 64 bit). Can you pass the images in this thread to the libraw developers for inspection?
JeffTucker

Posted: 10 Aug 22, 15:11   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Can you pass the images in this thread to the libraw developers for inspection?

Sorry, but I'm not the right person to tackle this. I know nothing about RAW images, and nothing about LibRaw. I'm pretty sure that they would immediately try to engage me in a conversation in which I wouldn't have the slightest idea what they were talking about, or in which they would want to know things like how my iOS device is configured (a challenge, since I don't own one), or how I'm compiling this into my application (another challenge, since I'm not doing that, and wouldn't know how to).

I'm going to have to leave this to someone else. Perhaps the OP would like to venture into it?
davidekholm

Posted: 10 Aug 22, 15:32   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker

Posted: 10 Aug 22, 15:42   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Hope you have a good time in the rabbit hole. ;)
JeffTucker

Posted: 11 Aug 22, 18:16   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

See? What did I tell you?

Every time I wade into some GitHub application, it's the same story. The people producing this stuff just have no clue about how to package it.

Me: The download doesn't appear to include the Javascript file I would need to load on my page.

Developer: Oh, you need to compile it with MakeGitHubNode with these twelve flags, which may or may not be needed, depending upon what version of MakeGitHubNode you're using.

Me: I just get an endless collection of error messages.

Developer: Obviously you also need to have the Zovuvazz Framework available, and your PATH environment variables need to point to it.

There's one simple script that I use for going fullscreen, which conveniently takes care of all the browser variation. There's a new version, accompanied by this release note:

This package is ESM. Please familiarize yourself with what that implies.
If you cannot use ESM or need to support older browsers without using transpilation, use version 5.2.0.

Transpilation, Gracie? Time to find something else....
scuba_fan

Posted: 17 Aug 22, 19:34   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

okay, this made me laugh out loud for real. I'm still out of the country on holiday so haven't had a chance to grab the compiled dll and give it a try. will reengage next week!

Thanks for jump in...
JeffTucker

Posted: 24 Sep 22, 16:37   in response to: scuba_fan in response to: scuba_fan

I haven't forgotten about this one, and I still have a folder with a few of your "problem" DNG files.

Using the latest jAlbum beta, v. 29b15, things have changed. Still not great, but usable for your purposes. I suspect that's how it will be in the final jAlbum 29 release, coming soon to a theater near you.

Here's what happens.... If you add one of those DNG's to a project, there is a console error message, and you get a "red X" thumbnail, but nothing else goes wrong. Now, if you try to build the album at that point, it will crash. However, you can use an ignore pattern to avoid having the core try to process those files. Under Settings > Advanced > General > Ignore pattern:
\..*|.*\.DNG
That's telling jAlbum to ignore files whose names start with a "dot," and also to ignore any file that ends with ".DNG". Once the album is built, the "bad" thumbnails vanish from the Explore view (ETA: on the Mac, is seems to need a "save, close, reopen" before the bad thumbnail goes away).

So, less than perfect, but probably good enough to let you continue your current workflow.
scuba_fan

Posted: 29 Sep 22, 19:28   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Definitely a step forward. At least I can preserve the folder structures and workflows. So thank you!

I don't see the beta listed for download tho...

Edited by: scuba_fan on 29 Sep 2022, 14:30
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums