This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 38 - Pages: 3 [ 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: 7 Oct 22, 18:30 Last Post By: scuba_fan Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
scuba_fan

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION When Browsing a folder from JAlbum
Posted: 2 Aug 22, 00:14

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I just got back from Hawaii, great trip by the way. Took lots of photos and some nice drone video as well. I've added the folder to JAlbum, and when I go to browse it, the application crashes and toss the attached error log. Everytime I attempt to access this folder, same error comes up and the app quits...

Thanks for any guidance.

1. A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
  1. EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x00007ff9fe0a4007, pid=49320, tid=45648
#
  1. JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (14.0.2+12) (build 14.0.2+12-46)
  2. Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (14.0.2+12-46, mixed mode, tiered, compressed oops, parallel gc, windows-amd64)
  3. Problematic frame:
  4. C 0x00007ff9fe0a4007
#
  1. No core dump will be written. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows
#
  1. If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
  2. https://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
  3. The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
  4. See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#
scuba_fan

Re: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION When Browsing a folder from JAlbum
Posted: 2 Aug 22, 02:12   in response to: scuba_fan in response to: scuba_fan

Further investigation from trial and error. There is a folder of Camera Raw images inside the main Hawaii folder. When I move the raw images out, then Jalbum doesn't crash. Soon as I put the folder with Camera Raw back in the main Hawaii folder, the app crashes. So either there is a corrupt Camera Raw file, or jAlbum is having issues with Camera Raw in general...
RobM

Posted: 2 Aug 22, 11:41   in response to: scuba_fan in response to: scuba_fan

If you can narrow it down to specific files and then add an image to a post, that would help.
If it is all of the raw images then just post any one. If the files are too large make the raw file available via a link to a web location.
scuba_fan

Posted: 3 Aug 22, 17:18   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Trying to post a raw file is tough since they're so large...

Edited by: scuba_fan on 3 Aug 2022, 11:19
JeffTucker

Posted: 3 Aug 22, 17:20   in response to: scuba_fan in response to: scuba_fan

scuba_fan wrote:
I'd love to post one but I get file too large.

Just upload the file to your server, and give us a link to it.
scuba_fan

Posted: 3 Aug 22, 17:25   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Sure enough...

Camera Raw Samples
JeffTucker

Posted: 3 Aug 22, 17:51   in response to: scuba_fan in response to: scuba_fan

Well, it's not something unique to your PC! If I try to add one of those images to a project, jAlbum instantly shuts down. There's not even time to see an error report.

Definitely one for David (he's away this week, however).

ETA: Just as an experiment, I opened one of the images in Photoshop Elements, and saved it as a JPG. jAlbum had no problem with the JPG version, of course.

But it did reveal why one shouldn't use RAW images in jAlbum - the photo needed lots of adjustment to look good. The white balance was off, it was underexposed, etc., etc. But if jAlbum uses a RAW image, it just converts it to JPG, without doing any correction at all.

This is why I've always been a little mystified by jAlbum users wanting RAW support in jAlbum. It's almost guaranteed to produce a much worse result than a JPG, one that you've exported after doing the corrections to the RAW image in the photo processing app of your choice.
scuba_fan

Posted: 3 Aug 22, 19:14   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Agreed!

My workflow has my source RAW files within the same folder structure as my edited jpg output.

To be more clear. I maintain a subfolder of "Camera Raw Originals" below the directory containing the finished photo. In JAlbum, I just minus out that folder so it doesn't show when I build. But now, JAlbum just crashes so I'd have to move the folder out of the way, which breaks my flow.

I definitely dont put raw into an album build. lol. But using JAlbum as an image manager along side it's publish ability is where great value is found... That's broken at the moment...

Edited by: scuba_fan on 3 Aug 2022, 13:15
JeffTucker

Posted: 3 Aug 22, 20:47   in response to: scuba_fan in response to: scuba_fan

Yes, I figured that's what you were doing. Alas, unless I'm forgetting about something, there's no way simply to turn off RAW support entirely, so that jAlbum would just ignore the RAW files. There probably should be, precisely because a workflow like yours is fairly typical.
RobM

Posted: 3 Aug 22, 21:03   in response to: scuba_fan in response to: scuba_fan

Some more information for David.
Going back to jAlbum 25B12 does not crash jAlbum but the image does not display correctly, see attached. There is no error message in the system console either. Versions newer than 25B12 do crash jAlbum.

Once 25B12 has run and there is a thumbnail in the cache folder newer versions of jAlbum no longer crash - until you delete the cached thumbnail.

Some other old photo software I have also crash, whilst some run ok.
RobM

Posted: 3 Aug 22, 21:08   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker wrote:
Yes, I figured that's what you were doing. Alas, unless I'm forgetting about something, there's no way simply to turn off RAW support entirely, so that jAlbum would just ignore the RAW files. There probably should be, precisely because a workflow like yours is fairly typical.
If you put a RAW file in a folder jAlbum will convert it to a jpg in the output directory. If you add your own converted jpg to the same folder as the RAW file, then jAlbum will ignore the RAW file and use the jpg instead. jAlbum>Edit>Raw
scuba_fan

Posted: 5 Aug 22, 20:42   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

I generated the JPG files for each RAW and placed them into the same folder. JAlbum still bombs out as soon as it encounters the folder.
JeffTucker

Posted: 5 Aug 22, 20:54   in response to: scuba_fan in response to: scuba_fan

scuba_fan wrote:
I generated the JPG files for each RAW and placed them into the same folder. JAlbum still bombs out as soon as it encounters the folder.

I'm not surprised. I tried a similar trick by using the "ignore pattern" to tell jAlbum not to include the DNG files. But in both cases, jAlbum ignores the DNG only when it's building the album. In the Explore view, it's still trying to examine the file, which is what's killing it.
RobM

Posted: 5 Aug 22, 22:37   in response to: scuba_fan in response to: scuba_fan
Helpful
scuba_fan wrote:
It works with other RAW files, that jAlbum doesn't crash with - like .CR2 and DNG from other sources.

The problem is with the current version of DNG

I downloaded another sample photo from photographyblog.com, apple_iphone_13_pro_03.dng

It too crashes jAlbum. The above image is a slightly earlier camera software version, 15.0.1 instead of 15.5. Both use DNG version 1.6.0.0 and DNG Backward Version 1.3.0.0. DNG 1.6 introduces new tags.

I then converted the two problem dng images using version 13.2 of Adobe DNG Converter to give dng images with Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw 14.4.1. They work without issue in jAlbum.

You can get one of your images, converted to ACR 14.4.1 at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bkdvb7xlg87ho6v/test3.dng?dl=0

Edited by: RobM on 5 Aug 2022, 21:39
Added DNG version is still 1.6.0.0 but the DNG Backward Version is 1.1.0.0
JeffTucker

Posted: 5 Aug 22, 22:42   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Nice detective work. Sounds like the library that jAlbum is using needs some updating, since Apple is using the new, problematic version of DNG. Not exactly a fringe case. ;)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums