This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 13 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 2 Aug 22, 14:28 Last Post By: JeffTucker Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
galleryexplorer

Album of Albums sub-folder access to res folder
Posted: 1 Aug 22, 05:29

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi, I have created my web page design by personalising the various page inc files in a skin folder, and it works fine for a single level album of images.

I now want to create nested album of albums, all with the same design, but the res folder doesn't get copied to the sub-folders which contain images.

How do I ensure that both the parent album and sub albums all either

1) contain a copy of the res folder
or
2) link back to the res folder in the parent directory, eg. ../res in code for sub-folders

I am using the FancyBox skin.

Thanks.
galleryexplorer

Re: Album of Albums sub-folder access to res folder
Posted: 1 Aug 22, 06:29   in response to: galleryexplorer in response to: galleryexplorer

I think I have figured it out. Was struggling to find any working examples showing albums of albums to refer to.

Thanks.
JeffTucker

Posted: 1 Aug 22, 12:43   in response to: galleryexplorer in response to: galleryexplorer

Glad you figured it out.

If you make one large album project with a bunch of folders in it, there is only one res directory, at the top level of the album. There's no need for additional copies of it anywhere.

If you make a bunch of separate album projects, then point to all of them with an album of albums, each album has its own res directory. The individual albums have no idea that there are other similar albums elsewhere. There isn't really anything to be gained by forcing the individual albums to share some sort of "master" res directory - it's just a few very small files, so there's no penalty for having multiple copies of it.
galleryexplorer

Posted: 2 Aug 22, 02:05   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Thank you for your reply. I find that JAlbum and the skins are very powerful tools, but figuring out what to do is difficult as the information is spread around.

Can I please confirm that there's no automatic way yet to place the resource folder in the output directory and that we have to do that by hand each time?

Have been working between older and new versions of Jalbum and the skins and that may be confusing matters.

Now hitting a problem where the footer I place in "page-footer_all.inc" is appearing in the top level parent page, but not in the sub-folder pages. Headers appearing fine, but not the footer. Seeing as they use the same index.htt, not quite sure why this would be happening.

Doing some experiments to try and figure this out.

Thanks again.
JeffTucker

Posted: 2 Aug 22, 02:27   in response to: galleryexplorer in response to: galleryexplorer

galleryexplorer wrote:

Can I please confirm that there's no automatic way yet to place the resource folder in the output directory and that we have to do that by hand each time?

No. You never have to place the resource folder anywhere manually. The album build process always puts it where it belongs.

To confirm that, make the album, and then preview it locally. If it works properly, everything is where it needs to be.

I suspect that you are seriously over-thinking this. ;)
JeffTucker

Posted: 2 Aug 22, 02:40   in response to: galleryexplorer in response to: galleryexplorer

galleryexplorer wrote:
Now hitting a problem where the footer I place in "page-footer_all.inc" is appearing in the top level parent page, but not in the sub-folder pages.

What skin are you using? I can't recall ever seeing an include file by that name.
galleryexplorer

Posted: 2 Aug 22, 03:51   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Using FancyBox as wanted a skin that picks up the title and comment/description in image IPTC etc.

Have been starting afresh and trying 2 things:

1) a Jan 22 version of JAlbum and FancyBox and it does include my footers in the sub-directory, but isn't picking up my CSS files and header images which I have in the skin folder "res/files". "res" does get copied to the main output folder (great), but for some reason not picking it up correctly in my additional skin files page-header_1.inc and page-header_00.inc.

and

2) the latest versions of JAlbum and FancyBox which pick up res correctly then lose the footer in the child albums.

I am pointing to my CSS etc in the res/files by putting ${resourcePath}/files in the page-header_1.inc and page-header_00.inc files etc, but that only translates as "files" in my output parent and child index.htm files in the Jan 22 version whereas in latest JAlbum/FancyBox translates as res/files in parent album and ../res/files in child albums.

As you say, I may be over-thinking this, but that's because I haven't found any examples showing how to link all of this. It could be there have been some subtle changes that haven't been documented somewhere between JAlbum/skin versions that are affecting the child album getting the footer.

Will continue investigating.

Thanks.
JeffTucker

Posted: 2 Aug 22, 04:10   in response to: galleryexplorer in response to: galleryexplorer

galleryexplorer wrote:
Using FancyBox as wanted a skin that picks up the title and comment/description in image IPTC etc.

Unless there's something in FancyBox that I'm not aware of, this is a jAlbum core function. See Settings > Advanced > Metadata. Those are not skin settings.

The rest of this, I'll leave for the FancyBox developer, as I know nothing about his template coding.

But one observation:

...whereas in latest JAlbum/FancyBox translates as res/files in parent album and ../res/files in child albums.

You need to understand the distinction between two very different things. If a folder is pointing to something in ../res, that is not a "child" album. That's just how a folder within a project points to the res files - they're one level up from the current location. There is only one project and one album. But it has folders within it.

Quick example: say you have a Pets project with three folders: Dogs, Cats, and Birds. There will be exactly one res folder in the album, at the top level. On the Pets index page, resources will be linked as, e.g., res/cursor.png. In any of the three folders, resources will be linked as, e.g., ../res/cursor.png. There is only one copy of res, and the album uses relative links to access its contents.

But if you create three entirely independent projects - one for Dogs, one for Cats, and one for Birds, each of those albums will have its own res folder, linked to by, e.g., res/cursor.png. The parent "album of albums" will have no folders - it will just have three web locations, each of which points to one of the three independent albums. The parent will also have its own res folder.
galleryexplorer

Posted: 2 Aug 22, 04:25   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

When I say child, I am really meaning child folder (used the term child album as the parent shows a gallery of albums, and the child shows a gallery of images, probably just that I am coming from a different area of science and using words differently).

I am creating a gallery like the Pet album with sub-folders dog, cat etc. thus needing only one res.

Am I correct in pointing to the res/files in the parent folder as: ${resourcePath}/files in the page-header_1.inc and page-header_00.inc files?

Was using 2 different versions of JAlbum on different computers and am now updating the older one to the latest so anything I research is all based on the latest version.

I use FancyBox because it provides the option to display IPTC/Exif etc. Don't think all skins do so out of the box. Trying to find something that looks reasonable when viewed from both a monitor and a phone.

I am going to look again at Tiger skin as have seen some very clean looking examples with that.

Thanks.
JeffTucker

Posted: 2 Aug 22, 04:57   in response to: galleryexplorer in response to: galleryexplorer

galleryexplorer wrote:
Am I correct in pointing to the res/files in the parent folder as: ${resourcePath}/files in the page-header_1.inc and page-header_00.inc files?

I'll have to leave that to AndreWolff, but that should work, though it's ${resPath}. But I don't know when and how you're processing those inc files, so the relative paths might be wrong.

I use FancyBox because it provides the option to display IPTC/Exif etc. Don't think all skins do so out of the box.

Almost all skins provide for that, though the method of specifying which metadata you want will be very different from one developer to the next. In most of my skins, you can display absolutely any metadata as part of the slide image caption (or as a popup from an icon in the caption), and provide your own labels for them. Most of Laza's skins support metadata, as well, though one's ability to provide one's own labels for things is very limited. And I have to confess that I've always found Laza's technique for letting you define the fields you want to use to be rather confusing.

Trying to find something that looks reasonable when viewed from both a monitor and a phone.

These days, almost all skins are fully responsive, on everything from a large monitor to a phone. There are links to demo's of each of Laza's skins on the various skin repository pages, and all of mine are in one place: https://jefftucker.net/
galleryexplorer

Posted: 2 Aug 22, 06:05   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

From looking at other skins, I think different developers use different variables to point to the res folder. Wasn't quite sure how it is done with the Tiger skin. Took a quick look at some of your galleries. Very neat.

Have been comparing between old and new versions of the software and skins I have been trying out, and think some of the issues arise from changes over time.

Going to do more exploration. Thanks again.
JeffTucker

Posted: 2 Aug 22, 06:21   in response to: galleryexplorer in response to: galleryexplorer

galleryexplorer wrote:
From looking at other skins, I think different developers use different variables to point to the res folder. Wasn't quite sure how it is done with the Tiger skin.

All skins use ${resPath} or just resPath (if it's within a scriptlet), because there's no other way to get there.
RobM

Posted: 2 Aug 22, 13:00   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker wrote:
galleryexplorer wrote:
From looking at other skins, I think different developers use different variables to point to the res folder. Wasn't quite sure how it is done with the Tiger skin.

All skins use ${resPath} or just resPath (if it's within a scriptlet), because there's no other way to get there.

Andre’s skins have an option to use a res folder in a different location (Settings/FancyBox/Web page/Fixed res path) I’m fairly sure resourcePath is the variable that points to that location.
JeffTucker

Posted: 2 Aug 22, 14:28   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
Andre’s skins have an option to use a res folder in a different location (Settings/FancyBox/Web page/Fixed res path) I’m fairly sure resourcePath is the variable that points to that location.

That would certainly explain this user's confusion. Very nonstandard behavior, and wholly unnecessary.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums