Permlink Replies: 33 - Pages: 3 [ 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: 24 Aug 22, 03:33 Last Post By: linuxrog Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Laza

Lizard skin testing
Posted: 11 Jul 22, 14:01
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment Lizard.jaskin (1.2 MB)
Lizard skin was made to be the successor for the once very popular Chameleon skin. You can test-drive Lizard skin here before the sharp release.

Version 0.1
  • This version has only one style, Black
  • No previews work in the Settings window
  • Still has many bugs, I'm aware :)

Version 0.2
  • Better thumbnail, folder thumbnail renditions
  • More settings are taken into account regarding colors, padding, corner radius, etc.
  • A few more I can't recall

Edited by: Laza on 13 Jul 2022, 15:01

Edited by: Laza on 13 Jul 2022, 18:35
AndreWolff

Re: Lizard skin testing
Posted: 11 Jul 22, 15:56   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza
Where can I download your new skin?
mrag

Posted: 11 Jul 22, 19:09   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza
"Lizard" skin? That's just for fun and never going to be the real name of this new skin, right? Lizard has a lot of bad connotations in the US. If so, maybe rethink and use, say gecko instead?
JeffTucker

Posted: 11 Jul 22, 19:23   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
mrag wrote:
Lizard has a lot of bad connotations in the US.

Do a Google search for lizard slang to discover them. Quite a collection.

The problem with gecko, however, is that to most people in the U.S., that's just the TV mascot for the GEICO insurance company. The animal has been hijacked.

Why not just release it as Chameleon, version 5.0? Make it clear that it's not really an "update" to the old skin, but a new incarnation. Or maybe Phoenix, the creature who rises from the ashes of what came before.
MarkE

Posted: 12 Jul 22, 23:27   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
Carrying on the "Chameleon" alternative .... "Octopus"? Well-known for changing the colour of their skin, but can also recreate patterns and textures.
mrag

Posted: 12 Jul 22, 23:59   in response to: MarkE in response to: MarkE
Careful Mark, Octopus is one of those words close to the edge of proper acceptability ;-)

As Andre first pointed out, let's see this skin so we can perhaps make more relevant and insightful suggestions.
MarkE

Posted: 13 Jul 22, 00:18   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
mrag wrote:
Careful Mark, Octopus is one of those words close to the edge of proper acceptability ;-)
Que?
Laza

Posted: 13 Jul 22, 08:50   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
The post was made in advance so we can include its link in the upcoming newsletter. I'll upload something later today, whatever bad shape it'll be in.
Laza

Posted: 13 Jul 22, 08:56   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
I'm not native, that's obvious. :) I only had Jim Morrison's verse in my mind connected to lizard: "I am the Lizard King, I can do anything."
JeffTucker

Posted: 13 Jul 22, 14:36   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza
The origins of that are fairly dark. One version:

Jim Morrison was known as 'The Lizard King' due to his obsession with lizards. After years of drinking and heavy drug use he had developed the belief that he was able to control lizards with the power of his mind - that he had indeed become their 'King'.
JeffTucker

Posted: 13 Jul 22, 17:18   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza
Now that I've seen it, I would definitely call this Chameleon, version 5.0. The look and feel is very familiar. So why not capitalize on the name recognition? :)
Laza

Posted: 13 Jul 22, 18:21   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
Well, I just don't want to mislead people, that they can simply use this skin for adding new folders to a Chameleon collection. Perhaps you are right, and it's better to build on the old fame.
JeffTucker

Posted: 13 Jul 22, 22:23   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza
Attachment unnecessary.png (28.8 KB)
Just did a quick fiddle, and a few things jump out at me....

The skin doesn't appear to use theme images, and that's fine - there are plenty of other skins that do. But the Theme image box in the Explore view should be shut off.

Thumbnail sizing and layout is a confused mish-mash. All the skin really needs is Max page width. Get rid of the settings for Thumbnail columns and Aspect ratio.

Let the user set the thumbnail image bounds directly, instead of having the skin change that value in the background. If I set the size to be 300x300, that's the size I want the thumbnails to be! Stop trying to do me a "favor."

If the user wants 3:2 thumbs, he can enter whatever he wants - 240x160, 300x200, 450x300, etc. If he wants more thumbnails on each row, but the same size, he can change the max page width. And that, BTW, should be a spinner, rather than presenting a collection of fixed values - maybe 500px minimum, 3000px maximum. If monitors get bigger, you can always kick the upper limit up to 5000px, or whatever, in a new skin version.

The current approach just leads to confusion and frustration. Thumbnail image bounds are user-settable - the user doesn't want the skin to be constantly changing those settings.

And you can end up with seemingly contradictory values. For example, I manually changed the thumbnail bounds and also chose a wider maximum page width, and I ended up with an album with 5 columns of thumbnails. That's fine, but the settings still said "4 columns."

It's as if you've got settings for X, Y, and Z. Changing X triggers a change in Y and Z. Changing Y triggers a change in X and Z. Changing Z triggers a change in X and Y. This is never going to work predictably and consistently.

And of course, if the thumbnails are always fixed shape, there's no need for settings for the maximum and minimum aspect ratios - those come into play only when you're not using the fixed shape filter.
JeffTucker

Posted: 13 Jul 22, 22:38   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
I would guess that users will want to have a way to keep the lightbox caption clear of the image. Right now, the caption always obscures some part of the image.

And it's hard to imagine anyone wanting to use any of the "middle" positioning options - top/bottom, left/right/center, sure, but not middle.
JeffTucker

Posted: 13 Jul 22, 22:52   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza
Laza wrote:
Well, I just don't want to mislead people, that they can simply use this skin for adding new folders to a Chameleon collection.

I wouldn't worry about that too much. It's sort of like the transition from Tiger 2 to Tiger 3 - the user needs to process all the subfolders, and the end result is going to be similar to what was there before, but not the same at all.

If you do decide to make this Chameleon v.5, you might want to build in a little routine to delete all occurrences of slides/whatever.html. Otherwise, lots of leftover files!

Which reminds me - the Pages > Make slide pages setting should be disabled.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums