This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 1 Jul 22, 11:48 Last Post By: rauleigh Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
RobMacDonald

Question on Thumbnails
Posted: 3 Jun 22, 22:10

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hello,

Not sure if it's user error but I have an issue with Thumbnails on my site. In the example I'll provide via the URL below, the thumbnails all seem to display correctly up until the seventh row, last thumbnail to the right. From there to the end of the thumbnails, they seem to be zoomed in and show a small portion of the full sized image.

You can see the example here:

https://robsphotos.blog/birds/waterbirds/index.html

Any guidance on what I may be doing to cause this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob MacDonald
JeffTucker

Re: Question on Thumbnails
Posted: 3 Jun 22, 22:14   in response to: RobMacDonald in response to: RobMacDonald

Laza, this looks like yet another example of the skin deciding that the thumbnail isn't big enough, so it's using the slide image. But in this case, it's cropping the daylights out of the image, because the CSS includes object-fit:none;
Laza

Posted: 4 Jun 22, 09:35   in response to: RobMacDonald in response to: RobMacDonald

The skin tries to display very small images in 1:1 size if the image is smaller than the available space. I made this exception in order to display icons (e.g. PDF) to display without cropping. I don't know why these images are categorized as "tiny" in your album. They should not. I'll try to find the culprit.
RobMacDonald

Posted: 4 Jun 22, 12:35   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Thank you Laza and Jeff. Also odd, and not sure if it's related but all of the thumbnails in this section are all showing as quite large and almost like they are set to 'Single' in the Image Data section (Default, Thumbnail, SIngle, Full Width). Most in this gallery are set to 'Default".

https://robsphotos.blog/Norway/index.html

ANyway, I'll wait to see if you can find anything.

Again, thanks for your efforts.

Rob MacDonald
JeffTucker

Posted: 4 Jun 22, 12:57   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Laza wrote:
I made this exception in order to display icons (e.g. PDF) to display without cropping.

I wrestled with that one for a long time, and finally cracked the problem by using things like a PDF icon as a background image on a transparent empty.png primary image, with the dimensions of the empty image forced to match the thumbnail bounds. Pick a background color to match the style.
rauleigh

Posted: 1 Jul 22, 04:55   in response to: RobMacDonald in response to: RobMacDonald

Hi,

I have a slightly different Thumbnail problem with the Story skin.

I am getting almost full size images mixed in with the "thumbnails".

See:-

http://rauleighnsam.id.au/Trips/Denmark22/Walks%20Denmark/Ocean%20Beach%20Lookout/index.html

or some of the other folders in this album.

It is not occurring all the time but mainly with panoramic images. Is there anything I can do to stop the full size images appearing as "thumnails"?

Regards
Rauleigh Webb
Laza

Posted: 1 Jul 22, 08:37   in response to: rauleigh in response to: rauleigh

You can set general rules on the thresholds of the different thumbnail/image types. If you'd prefer not to have full-width images at all use Settings / Story / Images / Single image / Wide threshold = No full-width images. You can also disallow the "wide" images on the "Thumbnail" tab with the No wide images setting.

On top of this, you can manually select how each image is treated in the Edit mode -> Image data -> Treat image as box.
rauleigh

Posted: 1 Jul 22, 11:48   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Laza,

Many thanks I used the disallow the "wide" images on the "Thumbnail" tab with the No wide images setting and that worked perfectly.

Many thanks for the assist.

Regards
Rauleigh Webb

Edited by: rauleigh on 1 Jul 2022, 11:48
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums