This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 18 Jan 22, 09:41 Last Post By: kartphoto Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
ctwist

Forum watch is cancelled
Posted: 17 Jan 22, 17:17

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I "watch" a few forums. Occasionally these watches are cancelled. This has happened at least 6 times over many years. Most recently, my subscription to the admin forum was cancelled maybe 3 weeks ago. This does not affect my access; I just don't get email notifications.

Is there a rule that cancels a forum watch automatically?
JeffTucker

Re: Forum watch is cancelled
Posted: 17 Jan 22, 17:32   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

Just did some digging in the forum admin settings, and found it. If a watch is inactive for 90 days, i.e., it doesn't generate any notifications, it's automatically purged.

It looks like I can set it to whatever number strikes my fancy. Suggestions?

ETA: Mind you, this assumes the setting is actually working. With this creaky old forum software, I don't think I'd take bets on it, either way.
ctwist

Posted: 17 Jan 22, 18:02   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

I don't think that the 90 day limit applies here; a 90 day period of no forum activity seems unlikely in this instance, but I suppose this could happen occasionally.

Could the limit actually apply to my contributions? I may have not contributed for 90 days (quite likely). Since the forum software is creaky, there is probably no way of knowing.

I would increase this limit to 365 or greater. I don't see any advantage to automatically cancelling a watch.
JeffTucker

Posted: 17 Jan 22, 18:18   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist
Correct
I was puzzling over that. The longest period of inactivity in the Admin Corner was less than 90 days, so I'm not sure what's triggering it.

In any event, I've bumped it up to 365 days. In a lightly-used forum like this, there's no reason to expire watches quickly.
ctwist

Posted: 17 Jan 22, 18:26   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Just thinking back in time:

When BPP and E+ had separate forums, my watches on both of them were cancelled, causing me to overlook requests for assistance. These forums had low activity, and it is likely that the 90 day limit caused this.
kartphoto

Posted: 18 Jan 22, 09:33   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

Attachment screenshot.JPG (30.5 KB)
I had the same as from friday till yesterday no messages from a forum watch.

I also think the watch counter seems to react strangely after new posts from Friday some posts are set daily to 0.

Edited by: kartphoto on 18 Jan 2022, 09:40
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums