This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 16 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 19 Jan 22, 02:23 Last Post By: jimberry Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
arne-T

Title and caption on top of image
Posted: 15 Jan 22, 18:21

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Is there a skin that places titles an captions inside the image? I now use PhotoShop but there must be an easier way.
Arne

Edited by: arne-T on 15 Jan 2022, 18:21
JeffTucker

Re: Title and caption on top of image
Posted: 15 Jan 22, 19:02   in response to: arne-T in response to: arne-T
Helpful
Attachment ss009649.png (355.8 KB)
I can't think of one, off-hand. Users almost never want to have their images obscured by text, so there isn't much call for this.

You could try using the Effects filter to do it. See the attached screenshot. You'll quickly encounter several problems, however.

First, the text will always be whatever color you've chosen in the filter, so on some images, it may become unreadable, depending on the image background.

Second, this won't line-wrap the text. If it's too long, some of it will simply disappear.

Third, on a small display, the image gets smaller, and in this case, the text will get smaller with it. But if you're using another app to put text on the image, you're already running into that problem.
mrag

Posted: 16 Jan 22, 00:04   in response to: arne-T in response to: arne-T

I thought I recently saw something like that. It might have been on one of Laza's skin. The title and or caption I think would show across the top of a 'full scale' image and then disappear. Sorry, I know that's not very definitive other than don't give up yet ;-)

Meanwhile, is this sort of in the ball park?
http://laza.jalbum.net/Story%20skin%20introduction/#img=balloon%201.JPG

Maybe try browsing through sample albums
https://jalbum.net/en/skins/all
JeffTucker

Posted: 16 Jan 22, 00:09   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
Helpful
Actually, Lucid does do this, as does Story, but the captions don't disappear - they stay there.
RobM

Posted: 16 Jan 22, 12:34   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker wrote:
Actually, Lucid does do this, as does Story, but the captions don't disappear - they stay there.
It is possible with skins that support area tags, like Laza’s skins and, shameless plug, Journal.

Set the tag area to the whole of the image, or the area you want the text in. Add the description to the area’s description field. The text will only show when the face/region button is clicked.
arne-T

Posted: 16 Jan 22, 17:13   in response to: arne-T in response to: arne-T

Thank you for all you useful suggestions. I wanted the feature for a presentation than probably would be better developed in PowerPoint (I actually use LibreOffice). My wish was to have a jAlbum presentation with readable comments. Using Saturn with large fonts and font shaddows, I think I have solved the problem. Check it out at http://www.thesen.org/Obits/Bob/index.html
jimberry

Posted: 17 Jan 22, 09:40   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker wrote:
You could try using the Effects filter to do it. See the attached screenshot. You'll quickly encounter several problems, however.
This seems to be an album-wide effect where ALL images get the same text.
There is another image-specific text-filter, which might suit the OP better, but there are still some problems.
First, the text will always be whatever color you've chosen in the filter, so on some images, it may become unreadable, depending on the image background.
The color selector in the image-specific text filter doesn't seem to be usable.
If you can find an outline font where the fill is not transparent that might improve readability
Second, this won't line-wrap the text. If it's too long, some of it will simply disappear.
In the image-specific filter you can line-wrap.
JeffTucker

Posted: 17 Jan 22, 13:34   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

jimberry wrote:
This seems to be an album-wide effect where ALL images get the same text.

In my example, each image automatically gets the text from its own title and comment.

It works, but it's a little counterintuitive. You have to choose the text color, then enter the text. A color change can't be applied to existing text.
jimberry

Posted: 17 Jan 22, 15:19   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker wrote:
In my example, each image automatically gets the text from its own title and comment.
Ah yes! I must have jumped in and used the text box, which of course must apply to all images, and then I tried entering the variables and that of course just showed "${title}"!!
Thanks for the hint.

It works, but it's a little counterintuitive. You have to choose the text color, then enter the text. A color change can't be applied to existing text.
Thanks, I can now make it work, but even with the image-specific text filter being able to change text color for each image, it would be nice to find an outline font without a transparent fill, for readability against a changing background :)
JeffTucker

Posted: 17 Jan 22, 15:25   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

jimberry wrote:
Ah yes! I must have jumped in and used the text box, which of course must apply to all images, and then I tried entering the variables and that of course just showed "${title}"!!

The filters are the only places in jAlbum where the old "no curly braces" form of variables is still required. Somewhere I have a memory flag set for that bit of trivia. ;)
jimberry

Posted: 17 Jan 22, 15:31   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

I think I even tried that, but in any case, thanks to your hint I don't need it.
(My Java skills are in pretty poor shape)
JeffTucker

Posted: 17 Jan 22, 15:34   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

The ${title} variable is something to be avoided. It's "slippery," changing its definition depending upon where you are. Using it is always an adventure.
Dschuwi

Posted: 17 Jan 22, 16:16   in response to: arne-T in response to: arne-T

arne-T wrote:
Is there a skin that places titles an captions inside the image?

Yes. Use jAlbum's "Watermark" or "Shadow Text" filters, which are integrated in Classic Aligned 2 skin.

See this page, quickly adapted for demonstration:
https://www.hpb.at/galleries/ca2/text_overlay/index.html

This works not only with file names, but with jAlbum variables like $title, $comment etc. as well. However, I found no way to insert line breaks. Long text is simply cut off.
Dschuwi

Posted: 17 Jan 22, 18:27   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker wrote:

Interesting. jAlbum variables like $comment did not work for me there. Good to know they should, I‘m going to try again, maybe Effects filter recognizes manual line breaks or control codes.
JeffTucker

Posted: 17 Jan 22, 19:23   in response to: Dschuwi in response to: Dschuwi

The effects filter is just calling the regular text filter. Take a look at Settings > Advanced > User Variables after you've entered something under Effects. No line feed characters are recognized, and the filter doesn't understand HTML tags or entities.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums