Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 52 - Pages: 4 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] - Last Post: 17 Dec 21, 11:30 Last Post By: JeffTucker Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
davidekholm

Re: jAlbum 26 beta for testing
Posted: 4 Dec 21, 11:14   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
JeffTucker wrote:
RobM wrote:
Still getting it on Make Album.

I'm getting it on Make Album with 24 objects (repeatedly), but not with 23 objects. Somewhere, there's a test that should be "less than or equal to." ;)

Probably a good idea to keep warning about the 24 limit, in any event.

Fixed.
davidekholm

Posted: 4 Dec 21, 11:15   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
mrag wrote:
I downloaded the beta, detached license, made a few, no new complaints. I reattached the license, things fine. I then detached the license and closed jAlbum and tried to restart in Free mode. I'm not trying that again.

I put in 28 images, got a warning about limit of 24. I "excluded" 5 and still had warning, Had to "delete" them to make album.

Fixed.

Is there an opening introduction page that will say "welcome to the FREE version, here is what to expect?"

Yes, didn't you see it?
RobM

Posted: 4 Dec 21, 11:32   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Perhaps, but why?
RobM wrote:
Should the 'Attach inbox username@jalbum.net' button be disabled?
I thought it wouldn’t work without an account/license, maybe I am wrong. But with a low limit you could have users collaborating, but unable to include the images sent to them.
Should the Skin Developer menu options be disabled?
I just thought development/editing is something that should not be enabled in a free version. No other particular reason.
JeffTucker

Posted: 4 Dec 21, 14:18   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Only on galleries > 24 images. That's the point. Users need to be aware of that limitation, otherwise they'll forget about it and think this is a bug.

I agree. If a user has created a project with more than 24 objects, he needs to either delete or exclude some of them, and he should be reminded of that fact every time he makes the album. A user who isn't paying attention could have, say, 28 photos, make the album, upload it, and not even notice that the last 4 of them are "missing" from the album.
RobM

Posted: 4 Dec 21, 15:12   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
JeffTucker wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
Only on galleries > 24 images. That's the point. Users need to be aware of that limitation, otherwise they'll forget about it and think this is a bug.

I agree. If a user has created a project with more than 24 objects, he needs to either delete or exclude some of them, and he should be reminded of that fact every time he makes the album. A user who isn't paying attention could have, say, 28 photos, make the album, upload it, and not even notice that the last 4 of them are "missing" from the album.

Perhaps it could be shown just once per session, or even per project. It risks going from helpful reminder to intrusive nag. Just my thoughts.
davidekholm

Posted: 4 Dec 21, 17:18   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
Should the Skin Developer menu options be disabled?
I just thought development/editing is something that should not be enabled in a free version. No other particular reason.

I buy that reasoning. Editing is after all a power user task, but such users may as well edit these files using an external editor so disabling that menu won't have much effect in reality.
davidekholm

Posted: 4 Dec 21, 17:20   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
JeffTucker wrote:
davidekholm wrote:

Perhaps it could be shown just once per session, or even per project. It risks going from helpful reminder to intrusive nag. Just my thoughts.

Don't you think most new users will simply restrict their galleries to max 24 images and thereby avoid seeing that warning?
RobM

Posted: 4 Dec 21, 18:30   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
RobM wrote:
JeffTucker wrote:
davidekholm wrote:

Don't you think most new users will simply restrict their galleries to max 24 images and thereby avoid seeing that warning?

If they do restrict their albums to 24 images, they won’t need the reminder, will they ;)
Naturally, it is your decision :)
mrag

Posted: 5 Dec 21, 04:18   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Attachment duh.txt (3.3 KB)
Attachment part9.jpg (137.2 KB)
Attachment part8.jpg (75.4 KB)
Using 26b4. In previous versions during installation I had to check off that "I accept the terms . . ." which I haven't seen in the Free version.

If there is some information/descriptive page welcoming me to the Free version, my eagle eyes haven't seen it yet. Excluding excess images now works as you predicted. Cropping and "Artsy" options also worked. I consider them "customization options" included with the Free version (see attached images for clarification).

Perhaps it's just me, but I had to keep resetting the size of the Settings page as it was too big.

In Neptune, I was able to add a sentence to the description in SETTINGS which showed on the preview but did NOT show in Explore view. I tried adding a short test message line in ShowLite's settings which on Make Album caused an error. In later tests, any changes that I made in Settings were ignored.

The Free version does not seem very friendly towards No Pages. In fact, it seems to hate it.

The only obvious link I saw when starting the F version was "Pricing" along the top which took me directly to the purchase page. It didn't seem very seductive IMHO ;-)
JeffTucker

Posted: 5 Dec 21, 13:41   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
mrag wrote:
The Free version does not seem very friendly towards No Pages. In fact, it seems to hate it.

Yes, choosing NoPages gives you that ever-popular null pointer error. I have a suspicion about why - I'll post back when I've had a chance to test the theory.

But NoPages has a more fundamental problem with jAlbum Free. All of its actions are controlled by its own settings panels - the general jAlbum settings are virtually irrelevant. So, if a user can't get to the skin's settings, it's not much use, especially with the current default settings, which produce slide images only.

BTW, what are we calling this new animal? I'm not going to spend the next year typing out, "the free version of jAlbum."

• jAlbum Free
  • jAlbum Lite
  • jAlbum Basic
  • jAlbum Starter
  • jAlbum Simple

The floor is open to nominations.
JeffTucker

Posted: 5 Dec 21, 14:02   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
So much for my theory. Comet won't load, either, and Comet and NoPages share almost nothing.
JeffTucker

Posted: 5 Dec 21, 16:05   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
JeffTucker wrote:
So much for my theory. Comet won't load, either, and Comet and NoPages share almost nothing.

They do share one thing! Neither Comet nor NoPages has any styles. If I plant a dummy style sheet in the skin, like Standard.css, the errors vanish.

A fix would be nice, but if that's difficult, I can easily adapt those skins to the new version. Tossing in a single zero-byte file isn't exactly a hardship. ;)
mrag

Posted: 5 Dec 21, 17:30   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
"BTW, what are we calling this new animal? I'm not going to spend the next year typing out, "the free version of jAlbum.""

One probably should consider the abbreviation also. jAlbum Free might become Jaf. And the Urban dictionary defines that as "The literal meaning of jaf is an acronym for "just a friend". The term is most often refered to males in high school. It can mean some one who is a loser, ..."

Important stuff to ponder on a Sunday morning.

Nothing to report, but since I tried it: I started jAF and tried to make an album using an old project already having 50 images. As expected, it stopped me at 24. There will probably be previous users that haven't used jAlbum in some time that might return and give jAF a try. Perhaps they have old skins or projects still on their computers.
davidekholm

Posted: 5 Dec 21, 22:29   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
mrag, you'll see the dialogue explaining about the limitations on start of an unlicensed jAlbum.

On naming, I'd vote for "jAlbum Free".

It's true that you can still do single image edits in jAlbum Free. I don't know whether we'd gain or lose in total by disallowing such edits too.

I've fixed that nullpointer issue now.

Edited by: davidekholm on 5 Dec 2021, 22:36
mrag

Posted: 5 Dec 21, 23:00   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
Attachment part-12.jpg (63.9 KB)
Somehow with using jAF, the icons are being switched around in ShowLite as per the attached. ShowLite is using the wrong style icons. I can't put my finger on it, but it sounds like Jeff's point to a Standards.css file may be the solution? Given the advanced programming and popularity of ShowLite ;-) perhaps this is a one shot, but you may want to keep an eye out.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums