This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 30 - Pages: 3 [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: 27 Jun 21, 18:42 Last Post By: AndreWolff Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
AndreWolff

Re: Open the corresponding folder output directory
Posted: 27 Jun 21, 13:44   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Click to reply to this thread Reply
RobM wrote:
If you do decide to include it, please consider posting it as an external tool instead of a fixed item.
That is useless, nobody will use it in that case, because the list of tools is too long and you do expect such a function only in the list of other directories which can be opened.
JeffTucker

Posted: 27 Jun 21, 14:28   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
...I hesitate as it encourages going into folders where users really shouldn't go.

Bingo. We shouldn't make it easy for users to wander into places where they shouldn't be tinkering around. If extra files are needed in the output by a skin, that skin should code for it - don't send the users off into the wilderness, where they don't know what they're doing. Give the user a way to specify those files within the skin UI, and let the skin take care of copying them to where they're needed. I do this with all kinds of things - logo files, info page images, custom overlay icons, background files (like for applying a texture to the body background), and so on. It's not difficult.

In fact, the entire Open Directories menu of choices are all things that are very handy for a developer (I hit them constantly when testing changes), but they all lead to places where a user shouldn't be venturing. Think about it - why would an ordinary user ever be manually messing with the contents of any of those directories? I'd leave the keyboard shortcuts alone, but maybe move the menu choices a level deeper, like under Skin developer.

You never know - some users might end up overwriting their .info files with the contents of unrelated script files like, oh, I don't know, something from JustifiedGallery.

This feature request is just making it easier for users to do something that they shouldn't be doing. I wouldn't replace the existing "open output directory" target, and I wouldn't provide it as an external tool. It's just a bad idea.
AndreWolff

Posted: 27 Jun 21, 14:41   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker wrote:
. Give the user a way to specify those files within the skin UI, and let the skin take care of copying them to where they're needed. I do this with all kinds of things - logo files, info page images, custom overlay icons, background files (like for applying a texture to the body background), and so on. It's not difficult.
You can’t handle all file types in that way, as an example show me how I can display a gps track in your skins.
JeffTucker

Posted: 27 Jun 21, 14:56   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

None of my skins has the option of using GPS tracks. But if they did, I would provide a place in the skin's UI where the user could click an Add button, navigate to the file, and retrieve the name of the file, and its location on the user's PC. The skin would then copy that file to where it's needed when the album is created. The file type is irrelevant - even without messing with filetypes.xml, my users can add a WOFF file to their projects, for example. You can do this with absolutely any file - you could include EXE files in the project if you wanted to!

To do it at the folder level, you just need a customUI option to add an external file to each folder. I'm not doing that anywhere currently, but in Neptune, for example, you can add music tracks for a folder. Adding GPS track files would just be a variation on that.
AndreWolff

Posted: 27 Jun 21, 15:15   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker wrote:
None of my skins has the option of using GPS tracks.
Well I can display gps tracks with your skins, if Imanualy load a kml and html file in the folder output directory.
To do it at the folder level, you just need a customUI option to add an external file to each folder. I'm not doing that anywhere currently, but in Neptune, for example, you can add music tracks for a folder. Adding GPS track files would just be a variation on that.

I known that, in the FancyBox skin I can define in that way both a music track and a gps track.
JeffTucker

Posted: 27 Jun 21, 15:20   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

None of this matters. You're asking David to give users a handy way to wade into places they shouldn't be in, places where they can louse things up.
davidekholm

Posted: 27 Jun 21, 15:36   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
If you do decide to include it, please consider posting it as an external tool instead of a fixed item. That way only the few people wanting to use it will see it in the menu list.

That's a good compromise. Will include it.
RobM

Posted: 27 Jun 21, 16:00   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
RobM wrote:
If you do decide to include it, please consider posting it as an external tool instead of a fixed item. That way only the few people wanting to use it will see it in the menu list.

Anyone determined enough to poke about in the output folders are likely to do it. Putting the script in the external tools & plugins forum makes it accessible to those few. I'd also suggest posting a warning of the dangers of meddling in such places. Sit user cave - I believe.
AndreWolff

Posted: 27 Jun 21, 16:10   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
That is useless, you don't have to do that for me, because it takes too long to find it there in that long list.. The only correct place is Tools / Open Directories.
And I don't need that function if you implements this request.
RobM

Posted: 27 Jun 21, 16:57   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
That is useless, you don't have to do that for me, because it takes too long to find it there in that long list.. The only correct place is Tools / Open Directories.
And I don't need that function if you implements this request.
Read all of the posts in the quoted post in your feature request above. You will see that my suggestion of custom filetypes.xml solves the problem. There really is no need for the open current output directory tool/menu option at all.

David, I revoke my compromise suggestion. Just don't do it.
JeffTucker

Posted: 27 Jun 21, 17:09   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
You will see that my suggestion of custom filetypes.xml solves the problem. There really is no need for the open current output directory tool/menu option at all.

Yes, indeed. Add GPX as an accepted file type, and the user can simply add that file to the folder in the project. Let the skin figure out what to do with it (ignore, exclude, whatever). As long as the skin doesn't exclude the file, it will land in the output, as if by magic. Excellent insight.

David, I revoke my compromise suggestion. Just don't do it.

Gets my vote, too.
AndreWolff

Posted: 27 Jun 21, 17:45   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
I might do so, but I hesitate as it encourages going into folders where users really shouldn't go. Some users for instance modify the generated html files - a recipe for trouble.
Why do you give the option to open the root output folder, is that less dangerous than opening a folder output directory?
davidekholm

Posted: 27 Jun 21, 18:01   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
I might do so, but I hesitate as it encourages going into folders where users really shouldn't go. Some users for instance modify the generated html files - a recipe for trouble.
Why do you give the option to open the root output folder, is that less dangerous than opening a folder output directory?

It's pretty handy to have access to the root output folder if you want to upload the gallery using a separate upload tool for instance.
JeffTucker

Posted: 27 Jun 21, 18:07   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
It's pretty handy to have access to the root output folder if you want to upload the gallery using a separate upload tool for instance.

Also useful if you want to preview the album without using the embedded server, and need to get to the index.html file directly. I've got that situation with a lot of my skin demo projects, which tap into resources that are further up the site tree. From 127.whatever, the album can't "see" that stuff. But for testing JSON skins, I like to leave the embedded server turned on.

In any event, with the other changes already made, or on tap, there's no reason to provide direct access to a specific folder in the output. There's no use case at all.
davidekholm

Posted: 27 Jun 21, 18:17   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Ok, what's handy for skin developers should be discouraged for ordinary users. I've now come up with another compromise (available in the core beta): Double click the address bar to open the corresponding image folder in the file system. Hold down ALT or SHIFT while double clicking to open the corresponding output folder.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums