This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 10 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 10 Jul 21, 02:08 Last Post By: JeffTucker Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
rjm

Neptune 54 Theme image
Posted: 28 May 21, 07:08

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi is there any way of reducing the width of the Neptune 54 theme image. The last time I used Neptune was version 6 and I could set the theme image width don't seem to be able to do that with the latest version. Also an option to have any extra folders appearing at the bottom of the index page not at the top would be nice.

I hope I haven't missed any thing obvious.

If you look at my Norfolk Island Photos http://robertj.epizy.com/Norfolk%20Island%20July%202018/album/index.html

That's the way I would like to set it up.

Thanks for any help
Robert Mason
JeffTucker

Re: Neptune 54 Theme image
Posted: 28 May 21, 13:42   in response to: rjm in response to: rjm

In the process of including the parallax and full page theme image options, I had to strip out a lot of spaghetti code, and the fixed-width theme image was one of the casualties. Now that I've got things behaving more rationally, I'll see if I can easily re-incorporate the non-full-width theme image option.
JeffTucker

Posted: 28 May 21, 17:40   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Attachment Neptune.jaskin (1.0 MB)
One of the benefits of cleaning up old, overly-messy code is that it makes changes easier.

Bringing back limited-width theme images turned out to be a "one cup of coffee" exercise - some UI changes (including changing the theme image crop mask if this option is chosen), some HTML layout changes (for responsiveness reasons, a limited-width theme image needs another div wrapper), and some CSS tweaking.

Attached is a beta you can play with. See Neptune > Title Bar > Theme Image > Limit width.
JeffTucker

Posted: 28 May 21, 18:49   in response to: rjm in response to: rjm

rjm wrote:
Also an option to have any extra folders appearing at the bottom of the index page not at the top would be nice.

That one is in there already. See Neptune > Thumbnails > Folders > Folders last.
rjm

Posted: 29 May 21, 02:36   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Thanks for that it works OK
I haven't done any photos for a while and it takes a while to familiarize with every thing again.
Appreciate your effects.

Robert Mason
JeffTucker

Posted: 29 May 21, 02:41   in response to: rjm in response to: rjm

rjm wrote:
...it takes a while to familiarize with every thing again.

And in the meantime, everything has changed! ;)
RJLaBella

Posted: 9 Jul 21, 21:55   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

So the treatment for the Theme Image presentation has changed (running Neptune v62)?

Where a crop of an image set up in Explore used to present the entire width of the image in the page preview (ThemeImage), the current version now seems more attuned to maintaining the same height as the browser window is made wider or narrower (PagePreview & PagePreviewWide) thus often chopping off areas of the image.

Is there a way to restore the Theme Image presentation to always display the full width of the selected image independent of the browser width?

Edited by: RJLaBella on 9 Jul 2021, 15:55
JeffTucker

Posted: 9 Jul 21, 22:03   in response to: RJLaBella in response to: RJLaBella

Attachment narrowBrowser.png (412.0 KB)
Attachment wideBrowser.png (1.1 MB)
RJLaBella wrote:
So the treatment for the Theme Image presentation has changed (running Neptune v62)?

Where a crop of an image set up in Explore used to present the entire width of the image in the page preview (ThemeImage), the current version now seems more attuned to maintaining the same height as the browser window is made wider or narrower (PagePreview & PagePreviewWide) thus often chopping off areas of the image.

Is there a way to restore the Theme Image presentation to always display the full width of the selected image independent of the browser width?

No, it hasn't changed. There are now more options for the type of theme image - fixed height (either full width of the page, or limited to the thumbnail table width), parallax, full page. But the original layout (fixed) hasn't changed in many versions.

And that theme image has always been a background image. How much of the image you see in the album is entirely dependent upon the dimensions of the browser window. This has not changed. Neptune never showed the full width of the selected image, regardless of the browser width. Not sure where you got that idea.

In fact, here are two screenshots from your own site, made with Neptune 61, with different browser window dimensions.
JeffTucker

Posted: 9 Jul 21, 22:18   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

This comes up from time to time, and I have to explain it all over again. Think this through.

If that theme image were, say, 1920x200 pixels, and you always want to see the whole thing, then on a large monitor, it will be 1920x200. But on an iPad held vertically, it will end up being 768x80 pixels. You can't make it narrower without also making it shorter, unless you crop it. It would be almost invisible, shorter than a typical thumbnail image.

And if there's a title and a logo overlayed on the theme image, they're going to spill out of the box, because there's just not enough height for them. If the title and logo are also reduced in size, they, too, will be almost invisible.

As a background image, on the iPad, the theme image will be 768x200 pixels, instead, and the sides will be cropped. The height of the theme image doesn't change - only the width.
RJLaBella

Posted: 10 Jul 21, 01:36   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Ok, got it. Looked at some that haven't updated in a while and yes, images shortened.
Could swore that the theme images on Lighthouses and Yacht Racing displayed fully in the past.
Guess I'll have to make better selections in the future.

Thanks for the quick reply
JeffTucker

Posted: 10 Jul 21, 02:08   in response to: RJLaBella in response to: RJLaBella

Attachment ss009037.png (2.1 MB)
It's a tricky thing to handle. Laza and I both use the theme image as a background image, though we do things a little differently when it comes to scaling and cropping. The only skins that use the theme image as a regular, non-background image are the ones by AndreWolff, like FancyBox. In his skins, the full theme image remains visible, though it gets shorter as well as narrower.

On my own sites, I just try to choose theme images that can survive the inevitable cropping, like:

https://jefftucker.org/travels/

and:

https://jefftucker.net/

For my family album, see the screenshot. In each case, the key is using a theme image whose focal point is at the center, or where it simply doesn't matter. ;)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums