This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 21 Mar 21, 00:17 Last Post By: MidTexPhoto Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
MidTexPhoto

Single source folder for multiple albums?
Posted: 19 Mar 21, 02:11

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I apologize if this is answered elsewhere or I've just missed the 'how-to.' I tried searching here and on google, but could not frame the question correctly or what I want to do cannot be done. Specifically:

I would like to create just one container for all my photos and if possible, tag and label them as I would in any skin, e.g., Tiger. I would then like to be able to create links in multiple other albums or iframe inserts back to the images in the source folder. This way, I need only upload all of my images once and can creat links to them from any other website, or within the same album, under different categories.

For example, I have a places folder with a subfolder 'Hungary.' Several photos in the folder are heavily edited, and I'd like to use them elsewhere to showcase my photo-editing skills--without having to copy the image and without having to redit or redo the comments if I use a link to an orginal.

Samewise for other photos that I put in places folders, for example, but also in niche-category folders, e.g., a folder about doors, or of specific flora.

I would also like to be able to use an image in another website, say an expression engine blog, for example, without having to create a separate album or page for that image. I know how to embed an album I've never 'uploaded' in jAlbum in an iframe in a website (that's another story), but I'd like to be able to refer to just one jAlbum repository for all websites I own.

Is this possible now? Again, sorry if this is already implemented.

Thanks much for any suggestions.

Nathan
MarkE

Re: Single source folder for multiple albums?
Posted: 20 Mar 21, 17:53   in response to: MidTexPhoto in response to: MidTexPhoto

This may be a starting point

https://jalbum.net/blog/entry/jalbum-161-with-content-mirroring

and

https://jalbum.net/help/en/Making_an_album_of_albums_with_web_locations

So my media is in a source location. I create many albums, often using the same source media. This creates the relevant project files etc, input (needed to build the album) and output (to upload). Source files are never touched. This met5hod does mean more work when renaming source files, for instance.

One issue may be going from one child web location directly from another sibling web location ... some skins may create breadcrumbs that would fail.

If you manage your expectation, this can be quite functional.

Remember, though, that each album (the processed output files) must be uploaded. You can't upload the source media once and create albums from there.

Once uploaded, than can be linked to, as normal

Not sure about a solution for the last paragraph.

Mark
AndreWolff

Posted: 20 Mar 21, 19:01   in response to: MidTexPhoto in response to: MidTexPhoto

MarkE

Posted: 20 Mar 21, 20:18   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

A bit overly-complicated for saving very little ....
MidTexPhoto

Posted: 20 Mar 21, 22:28   in response to: MarkE in response to: MarkE

MarkE, thank you. I considered and played with something like both of those described, but what I really want is pretty much like AndreWolff described in his feature request.

Basically, I have date-sorted/named folders on my home drive where I keep the originals. I copy this into the various album folders I want to put them in, and then upload the albums. What I really want to do is upload all my photos to one album/folder on the server and link to those via the album from other folders in the same album, from other albums, or even from other websites, via an iframe, for example.

I know I can load all my photos to a single folder on the server and link to them from anywhere (that's how I do 'generic' design elements or content), but what i want is to bring the tags and labels and other jAlbum info with them.

In sum, Ideally, I'd like to create a single folder in jAlbum that I can link to from anywhere (or at the very least from elsewhere in the same album).

Sorry if I didn't get that right the first time. Added: In the meantime I will revisit the album of albums option and see if maybe I can tweak that into something like what I want.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Cheers,
Nathan

Edited by: MidTexPhoto on 20-Mar-2021 22:31

Edited by: MidTexPhoto on 20-Mar-2021 22:39
MidTexPhoto

Posted: 20 Mar 21, 22:28   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Thank you for your post. Yes, I agree it sounds similar. Pls see my note to MarkE.

Cheers,
Nathan

Edited by: MidTexPhoto on 20-Mar-2021 22:29
RobM

Posted: 20 Mar 21, 22:55   in response to: MidTexPhoto in response to: MidTexPhoto

See if this would help.
MidTexPhoto

Posted: 21 Mar 21, 00:17   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM, thank you. That's close but I'd like to do that with individual images, not folders.

Alternately, it occurs to me a solution might be something like presenting a folder based on search criteria . . . Not sure how this would work in jAlbum, but in Expression Engine, I can assign blog posts to categories. Then I can code to display posts with those category 'tags' in different lists or layouts. I already use fairly complete tags in jAlbum and in many cases now, I use geotags too, so might it be possible to present an album display using geotags or tags?

Sorry, just thinking with my fingers so speak... I'm sure something will present itself. Again thanks!

Nathan
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums