This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 13 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 16 Feb 21, 14:42 Last Post By: JeffTucker Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
evertmulder

Problem loading pictures in preview mode
Posted: 15 Feb 21, 18:06

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I have installed the latest version of photoblogger (3.12.2) and now I am having problems loading photos in preview mode.
The loading of the photos stops and does not continue even after some time.
See the attachment.

In explorer mode everything loads quickly and all photos are visible.
I went back to version 3.8.4 and that version works without the problem.
What is going on and how to fix this.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Edited by: evertmulder on 15-Feb-2021 18:18
JeffTucker

Re: Problem loading pictures in preview mode
Posted: 15 Feb 21, 18:16   in response to: evertmulder in response to: evertmulder

Check Tools > Preferences > General > Preview and make sure you have chosen Use embedded web server.
evertmulder

Posted: 15 Feb 21, 19:28   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem since this option was already checked.
Any other solutions?
JeffTucker

Posted: 15 Feb 21, 20:11   in response to: evertmulder in response to: evertmulder

Yes, I should have noticed that the URL in your screenshot was showing the embedded web browser. Sorry for the misdirection.

Does this happen if you switch to an external browser (Externe browser) for previewing, rather than using the integrated browser (Geïntegreerd)?

I can't produce the same error, so I'm just hunting....
evertmulder

Posted: 16 Feb 21, 00:41   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

The problem exists only in the latest version of photoblogger (3.12.2) and not in version 3.8.4.
However, I have noticed that the thumbnails load slower in version 3.8.4 than before. Especially in folders with many photos (more than about 800).
I also noticed in Settings> Pictures> Thumbnails it is set to 617x617 while I originally had the settings set to 177x133. I can adjust it back to the original settings but is reset to 617x617 on startup.
  • Why can't I manually adjust the thumbnails to 177x133
  • Could the problem be caused by the 617x617 setting in combination with many photos in a folder

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Laza

Posted: 16 Feb 21, 07:42   in response to: evertmulder in response to: evertmulder

When you click "Preview" during a "Make album" the scaling of images and generating all the necessary files hasn't been finished so it might fail.

If the skin calculates the thumbnail sizes as 617x617 that means the images will be displayed in that size (max.) so using 177x133 pixel sized ones will result in 300-400% magnification, which is very pixelated.

The skin automatically calculates the necessary thumbnail size based on the settings (page width, columns count, thumbnail layout, gap, etc.) However it supposed to retain the old setting while the skin is loaded. This mechanism is broken for some reason - we are trying to find why.

A huge number of thumbnails combined with large thumb sizes can be a problem for the embedded browser, which is not the best browser. Why don't you use Chrome or Firefox for previewing. That would guarantee also you see what your visitors will see.
Laza

Posted: 16 Feb 21, 07:55   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

I tested now and the skin retains the manual thumbnail dimensions. Please note, any of the following change will trigger recalculation:
  • Style
  • Max. page width,
  • Columns
  • Thumb layout
  • Thumb aspect ratio
Laza

Posted: 16 Feb 21, 08:47   in response to: evertmulder in response to: evertmulder

I tried it now, and it seems the Javascript file - which is responsible for everything that happens on the page - hasn't been generated before the "Make album" process is finished. To be honest this button should have to be disabled with skins using Javascript to create page content.
evertmulder

Posted: 16 Feb 21, 09:12   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

I will give it a try however how can I choose Chrome in preview mode.
I can't find anywhere in JAlbum in setting to use Chrome instead of the embedded browser.
evertmulder

Posted: 16 Feb 21, 10:01   in response to: evertmulder in response to: evertmulder

I found it and set it to external browser. I let you know if that works.

Edited by: evertmulder on 16-Feb-2021 11:02
evertmulder

Posted: 16 Feb 21, 13:07   in response to: evertmulder in response to: evertmulder

Laza, special thanks for your help. The setting to an external browser was the solution. All thumbnails are now fast loading and visible in all folders.
However there was a preview button (internal browser) but it is no longer visible in the external browser. With F12 I can call up the external browser but is there any way to get the "Preview" button back with the link to the external browser.
JeffTucker

Posted: 16 Feb 21, 13:12   in response to: evertmulder in response to: evertmulder

Attachment ss008293.png (19.1 KB)
See screenshot.
evertmulder

Posted: 16 Feb 21, 14:09   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

How simple can it be. Thank you very much
JeffTucker

Posted: 16 Feb 21, 14:42   in response to: evertmulder in response to: evertmulder

I actually had to go looking for it - I usually just hit F9 to make the album, and F12 to preview it.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums