This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 36 - Pages: 3 [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] - Last Post: 18 Feb 21, 14:45 Last Post By: AndreWolff Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
davidekholm

Re: Save the preferred language in the project file.
Posted: 17 Feb 21, 14:40   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Ok
RobM

Posted: 17 Feb 21, 14:43   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

David, there are many UI elements that skin’s ignore or override, can all settings, that affect the output, be made disabled/enabled by the skin properties or an API call? For example, rows, cols, the new language setting, image ordering & with directories first, thumbnail size, Superimpose play icon onto video thumbnails etc.
AndreWolff

Posted: 17 Feb 21, 15:37   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
The default setting for this new proposed combo box is to follow the preference language. That way we won't break/affect existing projects, BUT a project that wishes to have a fixed language, that's perhaps different to the preference language could then set another language in this combo box. With this approach, all skins automatically benefit from this.
I started with a simple request, but it is becomming more complicared.
Is the realy required?
davidekholm

Posted: 18 Feb 21, 13:56   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
The default setting for this new proposed combo box is to follow the preference language. That way we won't break/affect existing projects, BUT a project that wishes to have a fixed language, that's perhaps different to the preference language could then set another language in this combo box. With this approach, all skins automatically benefit from this.
I started with a simple request, but it is becomming more complicared.
Is the realy required?

What's complicated with my suggestion?
AndreWolff

Posted: 18 Feb 21, 14:05   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Two language comboboxes, is for most users difficult to understand!
Was there ever a complaint about the current single language combobox?
davidekholm

Posted: 18 Feb 21, 14:29   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
Two language comboboxes, is for most users difficult to understand!
Was there ever a complaint about the current single language combobox?

Well, wouldn't you need another combo box to support project-specific languages? I could naturally move the language selector from the Preferences section to Settings->Pages, but then we'd complicate matters for the majority that are happy with a preference for this.
AndreWolff

Posted: 18 Feb 21, 14:45   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Well, wouldn't you need another combo box to support project-specific languages?
No. I don't think so. I use in my skins language settings at two points:

In the top of the index page
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="<%= Config.getConfig().getInterpretedLanguage() %>">

and in a window for viewer settings like this:
<%
String[] dtChoices = {"50", "42",  "35", "28", "20"};
String[] dtTexts = {text.getString("largest"), text.getString("large"), text.getString("normal"), text.getString("small"), text.getString("smallest")};
for(i = 0; i < 5; i++) {
	if("35".equals(dtChoices[i])) out.println("  <option selected value=\""  + dtChoices[i]  + "\">" + dtTexts[i] + "</option>");
	else  out.println("  <option value=\""  + dtChoices[i] + "\">" + dtTexts[i] + "</option>");
}
%>
This works fine with the current setup, so why do I need 2 language comboboxes?
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums