This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 29 Apr 21, 07:12 Last Post By: Laza Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
hubert

Thumb Picture size ?
Posted: 11 Feb 21, 17:17

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hello,
I am using Jalbum 23 and Photoblogger.
Since last upgrade of the software, I have a problem with the size of images and thumbs.
I open my main album, and if I go to the images parameters, the sizs are:
thumbs 308x128
Images 1200x1000

The thumb size is not correct. I change it to 400x400, and can generate new album.
I SAVE Parameters.

If I close Jalbum and reopen, thumb size is back to 308x128.

Weird ain'it ?
This means that if I forget to modify this size every time I want to add pictures, I'm on for 2 hours generating and 3 for uploading.
Of course I just escape, change value, and hop, 3 minutes.
JeffTucker

Re: Thumb Picture size ?
Posted: 11 Feb 21, 17:21   in response to: hubert in response to: hubert

(Thread moved - this is a skin-specific issue.)
Laza

Posted: 11 Feb 21, 17:53   in response to: hubert in response to: hubert

Whatever size you set manually the album will use whatever is optimal for the layout. That's why the skin calculates the optimum size. This calculation also happens on skin load, even though I tried to block this at that stage it still happens for some reason.

May I ask why you think 400x400 is better than 308x128?
hubert

Posted: 11 Feb 21, 18:15   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

" the album will use whatever is optimal for the layout"
Well, I don't see how the "optimum" is calculated and what an optimum can be. More over I don't see why a software should choose for me ! I prefer a 400x400 thumb, because it's an album about my garden, with a lot of flowers and having a 400 width or heigh is much better for people who want to have a quick look.
Have for example a look at http://www.galinou.fr/album/plantes/Vivaces/fleurs/Ancolies/index.html
I like that presentation.
You're not obliged to agree !

Anyway I don't understand why ALL parameters are saved but that one. If I can modify a parameter, it must be saved.
IMO...

Thanks for answering !
Laza

Posted: 12 Feb 21, 08:39   in response to: hubert in response to: hubert

Let me explain!

Initially the skin let the user choose the thumbnail size. However this has lead to awful looking albums with pixelated or huge thumbnails. Just think of this: there are 4 layouts (fixed grid, grid, masonry and vertical), you can also change the density (column number) the gap and the padding on thumbnails, and the whole layout width. No one can tell a proper thumbnail size, neither myself.

Therefore I made a function that calculates the best (optimal) thumbnail size, and asks the user for approval. Unfortunately, this made changing these settings PITA, for example when the user has started adding padding it asked the question on every click on the arrow. So I changed the code so it changes the thumbnail size automatically, but not on the skin load, so you can change the size manually, and the next time you load the project the size gets restored. However, something has changed in the way jAlbum loads the skin, and the routine that detects skin load can't tell if the skin is under initial load or not anymore.

Note, even though you set the thumbnail size to 400x400, the thumbnail in the masonry layout will never be higher than 265px, therefore all the top and bottom parts of the thumbnail is generated in vain - nobody will see it - it just slows down the page load and consumes the data on mobile networks. That's why I made this optimization.
hubert

Posted: 12 Feb 21, 11:48   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Note, even though you set the thumbnail size to 400x400, the thumbnail in the masonry layout will never be higher than 265px,

That was going to be my next question, why do some thumbs seem cut !

OK, then I should modify my parameters so to have a thumb that fits the max size, such as 300x 265 ? (128 is really too small, and there are so few garden amateurs who look at pictures thru a phone !)
Thank you for your explanations, I already looked at the generated HTML, but it is very complicated to understand, of course.

To be honest I don't remember when I decided to change the size of the thumbs, I've been using Jalbum for so loooong (or even when I switched to Photoblogger).

hubert

Posted: 28 Apr 21, 18:26   in response to: hubert in response to: hubert

240x240 seems to work perfectly.
Laza

Posted: 29 Apr 21, 07:12   in response to: hubert in response to: hubert
Helpful
You don't have to modify the thumbnail size manually. The skin calculates the optimum every time you change a related setting.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums