This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 12 Jan 21, 00:00 Last Post By: JeffTucker Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
xvs03

Error during the generation of monthly folders
Posted: 10 Jan 21, 17:18

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hello
i have a problem with the folder naming. the skin organizes the months in folders. the month march in german "März" has an umlaut "ä". this umlaut is not accepted by the server so the page is not accessible.
Locally on the hard disk the page is accessible and works wonderfully.

I send a screenshot of the directory tree.

Greetings from germany with Umlaute "ä , ö, ü".

Mario m.

JeffTucker

Re: Error during the generation of monthly folders
Posted: 10 Jan 21, 17:41   in response to: xvs03 in response to: xvs03

The first thing to do is complain to your web host. There is no reason why a directory on the server shouldn't be able to include diacriticals.

But you can also solve the problem in jAlbum. Change the name of the folder to Mar. But then enter a title for the folder of Mär. The album will display the title instead of the raw folder name.

xvs03

Posted: 10 Jan 21, 19:09   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Hello Jeff
thanks for your tip.
So my webhoster is myself and I couldn't teach my apache on the raspi to understand links with umlauts yet.
As for my project. i just dragged photos into the project without folders. The folders are generated only when creating the project and the names to it also.
So currently I don't see any subfolders in my project that I can rename.
I understand what you mean though and will see how I can use that.
Thanks for your contribution to my problem

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
JeffTucker

Posted: 10 Jan 21, 19:37   in response to: xvs03 in response to: xvs03

Ah, OK, I understand. You're using the jAlbum Structure to put images into folders. I'm not sure how I would get around that problem. There are no folders that you can put your own titles on. Hmmm....

ETA: Two things. First, under Album > Settings > Advanced > General, make sure you're using ISO-8859-1 encoding, and check Write UTF-8. Make the album again.

If it still fails, try adding this to the server's httpd.conf file:
AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
This is just a guess - I don't know anything about server configuration.
xvs03

Posted: 11 Jan 21, 23:39   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Attachment filezillaSetup.png (12.8 KB)
Hi Jeff, sorry for stealing your time. I found the error. It was in the FTP client file zilla. Namely, in the server manager the charset was set to auto detect. And i have now set it to force UTF-8.
Now I can reach the page.
I came up with this because after transferring folders with umlauts, I could see them on the server but I couldn't delete them. I had to delete them through the console via the raspian. Now I know why.
At that time I thought, the server can't handle umlauts and I accepted that. In my website programming I have always avoided folders with umlauts. Until jAlbum created them automatically and there it was again, the problem.

Thank you anyway for helping me with my problem.
Maybe we come together again with the next problem.

Greetings Mario M. (Germany/Hessen home of "Ahle Wurscht")

JeffTucker

Posted: 12 Jan 21, 00:00   in response to: xvs03 in response to: xvs03

Interesting! Automatische has always worked for me, so I never even thought about that setting. I wonder how FileZilla determines whether or not the server supports UTF-8?

Glad the problem is solved, in any case.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums