This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 16 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 12-Jan-2021 00:51 Last Post By: linuxrog Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
linuxrog

Turn-off Map for folder?
Posted: 09-Jan-2021 23:54

Click to reply to this thread Reply
My collection of photos includes one folder in which the photos have no location / GPS data. (I must have forgotten to turn on the GPS accessory.) So, the map overview image at the top of the folder view is a blank gray rectangle. Can this be turned off selectively for one folder but not the whole album? This is for Tiger.

The problem folder is here.

Thanks.

/Roger
JeffTucker

Re: Turn-off Map for folder?
Posted: 10-Jan-2021 00:03   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

Just tried a test album. One folder with GPS-tagged images, second folder without. I get the map section only in the first folder - no map section in the second folder.

Make sure you're processing all subdirectories (not just the updated ones), and that you're refreshing your browser cache.
linuxrog

Posted: 10-Jan-2021 00:09   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Process subdirectories is "on" in the Advanced tab. Cache is cleared. I edited the original message to point to the problematic album / folder.
JeffTucker

Posted: 10-Jan-2021 00:13   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

Even using your project settings, I still get no map section in my second folder. Laza will have to dig into it.
linuxrog

Posted: 10-Jan-2021 00:14   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Thanks. I'll hang out and wait for a reply.
Laza

Posted: 10-Jan-2021 12:40   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog
Helpful
It's not bacuse there are no GPS coordinates, but some of them are buggy:
"location": {
                    "altitude": "0 metres"
                },

You can check by opening https://bronord.com/pics/malta/gozo.11.11/data1.json
Also there are many with the same 90°/0° locations, which must be invalid too, athough probably not trigger the map error:
                "location": {
                    "altitude": "0 metres",
                    "latitude": "90° 0' 0\"",
                    "lat": 90.0,
                    "long": 0.0,
                    "longitude": "0° 0' 0\""
                },
linuxrog

Posted: 10-Jan-2021 19:43   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

I'm lost in Malta. I tried deleting location data for all images in the troublesome folder by deleting it in the location drop-down for each image. BUT, the location data reappears, even if I do a ctrl-s to save after each deletion.

I see no altitude data om jAlbum. I also tried deleting the album folder for the whole project to force a complete remake. No dice.

AND, the last folder in this album, postcards, had no map data and yielded the ugly, gray rectangle. By assigning location data to the first item in the folder, this problem disappeared. And, at the bottom, the MAP icon disappears for images with no location data assigned. Mixing in images with no location data seems to confuse jAlbum a bit. FWIW, I use them to add explanatory "text" and maps. On text, I've reverted to creating images with text in The GIMP and incorporating those as "slides" into albums.

The problems are in Malta - the Gozo and Postcard folders.

Suggestions? Invoke higher powers?

Thanks for taking a look.

/Roger
JeffTucker

Posted: 10-Jan-2021 19:50   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

If you were running Windows I could help - I've got a little utility program that will strip all the metadata from an image file. You could then use jAlbum's built-in tool to re-add the camera dates (you probably don't need the time, so it would be reasonably easy).

Perhaps you can find a similar utility for Linux.
linuxrog

Posted: 10-Jan-2021 20:34   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Yes, I use Linux. However, stripping metadata defeats the wish to keep valid data. I got a temp fix by assigning the same location data, by had, to each of the images with no loc data. This puts all of those images as located in the center of Gozo - not correct.

I'll look forward to a possible fix within jAlbum. Some of the images DO have valid loc data available. AND, jAlbum should honor deleting loc data in the location box. Curiously, sometimes a waste basket icon appears, other times not. In the end, blank data for loc should just not assign an arbitrary location.

So I'll wait and hope. In the meantime I have a usable album.

Thanks, Jeff, for looking.
RobM

Posted: 10-Jan-2021 22:08   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog
Helpful
linuxrog wrote:
Curiously, sometimes a waste basket icon appears, other times not. In the end, blank data for loc should just not assign an arbitrary location.
Images that only have xmp GPS data, for example those tagged only by jAlbum will display a trash can at the lower right - see top image above - clicking the icon will remove the location information. See jAlbum>Geotagging>Location data
JeffTucker

Posted: 10-Jan-2021 23:39   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Ah, yes - jAlbum won't remove EXIF GPS coordinates. Writing EXIF is a high-risk maneuver, whereas XMP is controllable.

So, if your images have some garbage GPS coordinates buried in the EXIF metadata, jAlbum can't get rid of the garbage. Entering new coordinates fixes things because jAlbum writes them to the XMP, and then, I believe, favors the XMP when extracting metadata for the album.

ETA: Removing the EXIF GPS is easy in Windows - it's built into File Explorer.
linuxrog

Posted: 11-Jan-2021 21:06   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Rob:

Pointing me to the Wiki page for Geotagging helped a lot. I understand more now.

The folder containing images with no geotags is realtively small so I was able to go to Google Maps and find the coordiantes and fill them in.

jAlbum defaults cause problems when there are mixed images with and without location info, or, possibly, garbled? I don't think that was the problem tho because I looked at original and location data was absent. ONE image was taken after returning to the US - an image of a souvenir - and it had location data that, evidently, triggered map display in jAlbum.

Like I said, in the end, I "fixed" the problem by adding location data manually to all image.

Thanks.

/Roger
linuxrog

Posted: 11-Jan-2021 21:10   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

Referring to a Windows solution was not helpful to a Linux user. Thanks to all for identifying the problem and pointing a way to a "fix." /Roger
JeffTucker

Posted: 11-Jan-2021 21:16   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

That was for the benefit of everyone else. It's a capability that's not immediately obvious in File Explorer, but a handy one to know about.

There is no problem with some images having GPS and some not having it. I've tested that, and it works fine. I think the source of your original problem was clearly identified by Laza - bad data in some images.
RobM

Posted: 11-Jan-2021 22:23   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

linuxrog wrote:
Rob:

Pointing me to the Wiki page for Geotagging helped a lot. I understand more now.

There is an awful lot to fully understand jAlbum now and finding specific information has not always been easy. A good starting point is, I think, the glossary page. From there you are only two clicks away from links to Language to Location to Look and feel.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums