Permlink Replies: 16 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 23-Sep-2020 10:44 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
mwl1943

Desk top app black screen
Posted: 20-Sep-2020 19:22
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Can't open jAlbum anymore. Re-installed various version. Removed and reinstalled Java. Always the same problem, it only opens a black screen (see attached file). I normaly use version 19.2.
Marcel
RobM

Re: Desk top app wont open
Posted: 20-Sep-2020 19:54   in response to: mwl1943 in response to: mwl1943
When removing and reinstalling jAlbum did you follow the instructions in the link I posted earlier?
JeffTucker

Re: Desk top app black screen
Posted: 20-Sep-2020 22:00   in response to: mwl1943 in response to: mwl1943
(Split from an unrelated thread - this is clearly a different error.)

Appears to be Linux, so the standard reinstall instructions are no help.
mwl1943

Posted: 21-Sep-2020 03:22   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
Yes I did.
I am operating with Windows 10 Pro.
JeffTucker

Posted: 21-Sep-2020 03:58   in response to: mwl1943 in response to: mwl1943
Very odd - in your screenshot, the logo in the top left corner is definitely not the jAlbum frog. Looks like the Linux penguin.

In any event, give it another shot. Follow the instructions in this thread. Do not skip any of the steps. Don't try to second-guess any of it ("Oh, I don't need to do that...."). You need to do a thorough uninstall, more than the usual Windows routine provides. This thread describes all of the things that need to be cleared out.

https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=35746
davidekholm

Posted: 21-Sep-2020 15:34   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
Apart from what jGromit states, also try running jAlbum via the "StartJAlbum-debug.cmd" file and tell what it reports. It may print error messages that you can copy and paste here.

(The window icon is the default Java "Duke" mascot by the way)
JeffTucker

Posted: 21-Sep-2020 15:51   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
(The window icon is the default Java "Duke" mascot by the way)

Ah - too small in the screenshot to make it out.
mwl1943

Posted: 21-Sep-2020 19:30   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
I have tried all those command and they all gave the same result. I agree it looks like the Duke Java Mascot. But to small to be sure.
mwl1943

Posted: 21-Sep-2020 19:34   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
I re-did all of this for the fifth time and still the same result. In the bottom tool bar it is a jAlbum icon. See attach file.
RobM

Posted: 21-Sep-2020 20:00   in response to: mwl1943 in response to: mwl1943
Try following the instructions from Microsoft in this Microsoft community post
mwl1943

Posted: 21-Sep-2020 21:10   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
Got it fixed.
I renammed the folder C:\Users\owner\AppData\Roaming\jAlbum so that jAlbum would not use it. I restarted jAlbum (which I had installed before) and it started normally. I simply gave it my user name and password and it logged in. I will simply re-installed the various skins I used and other adjustment .
There was something in there that was creating the problem. I dont know what.
Thank you for your help.
Marcel
JeffTucker

Posted: 21-Sep-2020 21:23   in response to: mwl1943 in response to: mwl1943
Glad you got it sorted out!

But I'd love to know which item was causing the problem. My re-installation instructions include emptying the ext and lib folders from the config directory, but none of the others. If you still have that renamed folder, please let us know what was in the other folders, like bin and plugins. The skins folder almost can't be the culprit, but it would be interesting to know if something other than skin files was in there.

In fact, if you could zip up the renamed folder and upload it here, it would be very helpful.
mwl1943

Posted: 22-Sep-2020 14:15   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
I have 3 directories.
I have a directory in there that is named "bin" and includes a file named "ffmpeg.exe". I suppose this is OK.

I dont think it is in the "skins" directory because I had tried starting with various .jap file with diferent skin and the result was the same. I had 10 skins directories.
Nothing in the "dictionaries" folder.
Five files named, albumv13.rrs to albumv19.rss.
A file defaults.jap.
The file accounts.xml.
There is something special in file "recent-projects.txt". I will check this today.
Marcel
JeffTucker

Posted: 22-Sep-2020 14:36   in response to: mwl1943 in response to: mwl1943
Well, those are all fairly normal.

Deleting recent-projects.txt wouldn't hurt. That would just result in no projects in the list on the left, until you start opening saved projects. The list would then be repopulated. And something screwy in that list could cause odd problems.

You can delete the older RSS files, albumv13.rss, etc., leaving only albumv19.rss.

You can delete the bin directory. The first time you launch jAlbum, it will go out and get the version of ffmpeg.exe that it needs.

Just grasping at straws, here....
mwl1943

Posted: 22-Sep-2020 16:51   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
I noticed that the new directory is called "JAlbum", the old one was called "jAlbum"!
But nothing to do with my old problem.

Got it. The problem is with "recent-projects.txt"
I have 35 projects in there. Just one of them points to a .jap file which is full of digital garbage, I think (see attached picture). When I removed that particular line. Everything is back to normal.
I dont know why that particular one got that way. I have other .jap files in the same directory and they are OK.

That was a Gromit skin, but I have other .jap file using Gromit skin and no problem with them.
Marcel
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums