This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 20-Sep-2020 22:22 Last Post By: RobM Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
weatherguesser

jAlbum 21.0.6 not picking up comments entered in Mac OS X 10.15.6
Posted: 10-Aug-2020 01:17

Click to reply to this thread Reply
So I have this big album of photos from my garden, each with comments painstakingly entered through the "Get Info" interface in Mac Finder. The problem is that I can't get jAlbum 21.0.6 to use these comments. Is there any way I can get it to pick them up automatically? It used to work in an old version of jAlbum. I'm using the Tiger skin, if that makes any difference. Thanks for any help you can provide.
RobM

Re: jAlbum 21.0.6 not picking up comments entered in Mac OS X 10.15.6
Posted: 10-Aug-2020 13:18   in response to: weatherguesser in response to: weatherguesser

What version of jAlbum did pickup those comments? I just tried going back to version 18 and it doesn't work there either.

Your options would appear to be to revert to the version that worked for you, at least to import the comments, or to script the exporting of those comments. AppleScript or Automator should be able to export the comments to a csv file, which jAlbum can import the comments from.

The obvious question though is why enter comments that way? Entering the comments directly into jAlbum, or Photos, would be the easiest thing to do.
davidekholm

Posted: 10-Aug-2020 14:19   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Yes, entering comments using Finder is a non-portable way. It stores the comments in so called "extended attributes" of a file, not accessible in any standard way. You can either extend Finder to store the comments as IPTC metadata or use any xmp compliant software to read/write comments such as Photos, jAlbum, Bridge, Photoshop of Lightroom.
RobM

Posted: 11-Aug-2020 17:52   in response to: weatherguesser in response to: weatherguesser

As a fix, entering comments in Finder's get info really not recommended, you could run the attached little AppleScript to create the csv file. It will create a csv file, with the image name and the comment of all images having a Finder info comment. Images without comments are ignored.

If you are not familiar with AppleScript:
Put the script in your Library folder, under 'Scripts/My Scripts'.
Open Script Editor - Applications/Utilities/Script Editor.
Open Preferences/General and check 'Show Script menu in menu bar'
Quit Script Editor (or open and run the script file if interested in what it does)
From the menu bar select Script icon (a scroll) and then select 'My Scripts/Finder info comments to csv file'.
Navigate to and select the directory containing your images then click 'Choose'.
When completed the script will alert you.

In jAlbum open the project with your images and then go to Menu/File/Import/From database file…
Select the comments.csv file in the root folder of your images directory.
In section 2 control click on the filename and map it to File name.
Control click on the comment and map it to Description
Click start.
Close the import window
Check an image or two to confirm comments have been imported.
davidekholm

Posted: 12-Aug-2020 12:17   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Thanks for providing this excellent help Rob!
RobM

Posted: 12-Aug-2020 12:19   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Thanks for providing this excellent help Rob!
The alternative was to go COVID crazy, so it made for a bit of entertainment ;)
davidekholm

Posted: 12-Aug-2020 12:20   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

:-D
RobM

Posted: 22-Aug-2020 12:21   in response to: weatherguesser in response to: weatherguesser
Helpful
Presumably the script has worked, or you have found another solution.
weatherguesser

Posted: 20-Sep-2020 22:12   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Rob, Thank You! Sorry for the delayed response -- I just haven't been checking much lately. Your solution works a treat!
RobM

Posted: 20-Sep-2020 22:22   in response to: weatherguesser in response to: weatherguesser

No problem, I just thought I’d mark it as a closed question, which I’ve just done:)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums