This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 17 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 23 Jul 20, 19:36 Last Post By: linuxrog Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
linuxrog

Bug Report: OutOfMemoryError - LInux
Posted: 22 Jul 20, 01:27

Click to reply to this thread Reply
See attached for an error that occured when I did a forced remake. It does not occur with other make options. It's repeatable. I monitored ram usage during the remake and it never goes above 4 Gb; I have 16 Gb of ram.

Using Ubuntu 20.04 with latest update to jAlbum. Never saw this before but that's not a good test because I'm running a newly built PC. I was doing a speed test to see how the new build improves with large albums. This one is 137 Mb with 695 objects.

Thanks for taking a look.

/Roger
JeffTucker

Re: Bug Report: OutOfMemoryError - LInux
Posted: 22 Jul 20, 02:20   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

The error message indicates that it's choking on one particular image, but as usual, it doesn't tell us which image. It's happening with Force Remake solely because that option causes the core to reprocess every image, whether it needs to or not.

All I can suggest is that you narrow it down to find the problem image. Using a copy of the project, start excluding half the objects, then half again, etc., until you figure out which image is the culprit.
linuxrog

Posted: 22 Jul 20, 04:16   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Ah, the ole binary search. I should have a hit in 2-to-th-nth with n <9. Curious this never happened before but maybe I did not recently force a total make

Tomorrow . . ..
Laza

Posted: 22 Jul 20, 10:38   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

If it didn't happen before the usual suspects are the newly added JPG's.
linuxrog

Posted: 22 Jul 20, 19:40   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
The error message indicates that it's choking on one particular image, but as usual, it doesn't tell us which image. It's happening with Force Remake solely because that option causes the core to reprocess every image, whether it needs to or not.

All I can suggest is that you narrow it down to find the problem image. Using a copy of the project, start excluding half the objects, then half again, etc., until you figure out which image is the culprit.

Nope: I tried something else first. This was on a totally new build of a Linux PC. The error occurred when I was testing for speed after opening a previously created album. Before trying the binary sort approach, I did the following.

I had backed up all from /home on my old PC. So, in the newly installed PC, I copied over the /home/.jalbum folder from backup. Did the force remake, twice. NO error! The byproduct / benefit of this approach is the Recent projects panel was re-populated. I did not have to re-open projects.

Problem solved? I think so on my end. Who know what happened but it does not appear to be a flaky image file.

Thanks for the try. I'll keep this in my back pocket for the future.

/Roger
JeffTucker

Posted: 22 Jul 20, 19:55   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

Just out of idle curiosity, what's in the /home/.jalbum directory? There's no direct analog on Windows or macOS. Things like recent-projects.txt and default.jap are simply stored in the jAlbum config directory. If /home/.jalbum contains files like that, that would suggest that some saved preference setting was the culprit, perhaps something like the number of processing threads.
JeffTucker

Posted: 22 Jul 20, 19:56   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

In any event, this is certainly not a Tiger issue, so I'll move this thread to Bug reports.
linuxrog

Posted: 22 Jul 20, 20:55   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

There is no jalbum entry in .config. There IS a .jAlbum folder in /home. It's contents are listed in the attached file, with an asterisk added to denote folders.

Processing threads - maybe I'll change that in the new install. The old value, carried over, is 4. The drop-down offers 16. The specs on the processor say 16 threads. Whadya think? I'm skitish and don't want to break something that's working.

P.S. I posted to Tiger 'cause that's where I was. Didn't realize what,

Bug reports
Post non-skin specific bug reports here.

implied. Didn't realize this was non-specific.

/Roger
JeffTucker

Posted: 22 Jul 20, 22:20   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog
Correct
linuxrog wrote:
There IS a .jAlbum folder in /home. It's contents are listed in the attached file, with an asterisk added to denote folders.

MIssing attachment.

Processing threads - maybe I'll change that in the new install. The old value, carried over, is 4. The drop-down offers 16. The specs on the processor say 16 threads. Whadya think? I'm skitish and don't want to break something that's working.

Start with the highest available. If you run into Java heap space errors, reducing the threads can help - it will be slower, but won't demand as much RAM. But before doing that, you'd want to increase the max RAM you're allowing jAlbum - that's the better way to avoid heap space errors. See:

https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=38632

But you might as well use as much of your horsepower as you can. I'm running with 12 threads, the max it offers me. Wicked fast.
linuxrog

Posted: 22 Jul 20, 23:29   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

After many tests, varying parameters - including excluding files from a folder where the bug jumped out, I found the only consistent show stopper was going to 16 from threads. I changed to 12 and upped ram max to 12 from 6 Gb. The "bug" has retreated. And make time went down from ~120 to 45 sec. Hopefully this will "do it."

Suggestion: why not make max ram a preference? The file containing this parameter was well hidden.

Thank, jG.

/Roger
linuxrog

Posted: 22 Jul 20, 23:30   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

Once again, you guys know ur stuff.
JeffTucker

Posted: 22 Jul 20, 23:36   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

linuxrog wrote:
Suggestion: why not make max ram a preference? The file containing this parameter was well hidden.

Maybe because the vast majority of users, like over 99%, never have to mess with it. And too many would do the wrong thing, bumping it up to the absolute maximum and leaving it there (that can actually degrade performance - it's complicated). I haven't changed the value from the installed default - Xmx4000M - in ages.
linuxrog

Posted: 23 Jul 20, 00:22   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Attachment file.txt (310 bytes)
Oops: the forgotten attachment is attached - the a list of contents of folder /home/.jalbum

Sorry . . . I was rushing to paragarph 2.

/roger
JeffTucker

Posted: 23 Jul 20, 00:48   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

Ah, OK. Those are the usual contents of the config directory on a Windows machine. So, probably something in defaults.jap that made your new install behave as it had before.

BTW, you can trash the thread-dump files. I'm not sure what the RSS files are for - I've got a couple of them, too.
linuxrog

Posted: 23 Jul 20, 19:05   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Attachment albumv19.rss (2.4 KB)
My WAG is the .rss files are related to exif data in some way, maybe related to establishing the make / model of camera used for photos.

I've attached the latest one hereto. Now I'm curious about dumping them or not.

/Roger
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums