Permlink Replies: 74 - Pages: 5 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] - Last Post: 20-Jul-2020 00:30 Last Post By: RobM Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
JeffTucker

Re: jAlbum 21 beta for testing
Posted: 17-Jul-2020 15:58   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment leftbullets.png (495,7 KB)
Attachment goodbullets.png (495,6 KB)
AndreWolff wrote:
That is not fair, you should first left align the text and next apply unordered lists,

Well, yes and no. Here's what you get - see leftbullets.png. Notice, BTW, that it isn't really left-aligned - there's some left-margin and/or left-padding over there. Anyone who has ever wrestled with lists in HTML is familiar with this problem. ;)

But what you really want is probably something like this - see goodbullets.png. Turns out to be surprisingly difficult to do.
AndreWolff

Posted: 17-Jul-2020 16:00   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
{quote:title=jGromit wrote:}{quote
You have two skin developers who rarely agree about anything both warning their users to stay away from the HTML editor. What does that tell you
No I like the html editor, because it implements also my feature request.
I only warn my users that old text may be reformatted by the htm editor, but for new text it is fine.

But I think indentations should be removed.
JeffTucker

Posted: 17-Jul-2020 16:03   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
...old text may be reformatted by the htm editor....

I hadn't even thought about that. That could be an even worse mess.
Laza

Posted: 17-Jul-2020 16:04   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
As I see the rage here I'd suggest this be an opt-in feature. I will allow this feature in my skins but will make better base.css default for comments and such. I think this is less bad than struggling with support cases like this (from today):
<div class="comment"><center><color:#ffcc00><h2>${comment}</h2></center></div>

Perhaps allowing some selection on the formatting options could make skin developers work easier. For example I'd not allow block-level formatting in comments, but it's really useful in custom pages.
AndreWolff

Posted: 17-Jul-2020 16:05   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
jGromit wrote:
But what you really want is probably something like this - see goodbullets.png. Turns out to be surprisingly difficult to do.

Yes indeed that is nice.

But I don’t think users are going to use this in image comments.

I use it sometimes in long album description and info pages where I use left aligned text, so the fist merhod is Ok there,
JeffTucker

Posted: 17-Jul-2020 16:24   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
Attachment mycomment.png (163,0 KB)
Attachment posteditor.png (68,9 KB)
jGromit wrote:
AndreWolff wrote:

Oh, wow! I just tried this. A disaster. I started with a manually entered comment with some HTML:
What if there's already some <b>bold</b> text in the comment? Or how about some <span class="something">spanned text</span> in there.
Then I invoked the HTML editor and closed it again, without doing anything. This is the resulting comment:
<p>What if there's already some </p><p><strong>bold</strong></p><p> text in the comment? Or how about some </p><p>spanned text</p><p> in there.</p>
It's made a complete hash of things, including removing the <span> entirely (which means that whatever the "something" class is trying to do will be ignored).

And compare the two screenshots.

As if that all wasn't enough, there's no way to undo the damage once it's been done. You can never get back to your original comment.
AndreWolff

Posted: 17-Jul-2020 16:34   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
jGromit wrote:
jGromit wrote:
AndreWolff wrote:

Oh, wow! I just tried this. A disaster. I started with a manually entered comment with some HTML:codeWhat if there's already some bold text in the comment?

This is a bug in the html editor!

Like I do in my own routine shown above the html editor should first check whether there is any html tag in the text and if so, it should insert initially nothing and keep all old html tags untouched.
AndreWolff

Posted: 17-Jul-2020 22:50   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
I have 2 questions about the html editor:

Is it correct that the spelling-checker in the html editor is not working?

If I press the Enter key a p-tag is generated, but how can I generate in that case a br-tag?
RobM

Posted: 17-Jul-2020 23:07   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
Just out of curiosity I tried configuring the editor. I included subscript and superscript, which operated as expected. Getting adventurous I included an image tag, which opens a file browser to get the image. Initially I was surprised that the image was added as data, but then thinking about it, how would it work out the required path - something novice users wouldn't know how to do.

So, should it be suggested, I don't think adding image tags is a good idea!

Subscript and superscript though, they seem reasonable additions, given the issues raised can be ameliorated.
JeffTucker

Posted: 17-Jul-2020 23:19   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
Subscript and superscript though, they seem reasonable additions....

... to accommodate those users who want to provide footnotes for their comments, or to trot out chemical formulas. ;)
MarkusD

Posted: 18-Jul-2020 13:44   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
  • Embedded WYSIWYG HTML editor. Right-click a comment or description and select "Open HTML Editor" and take it from there. (This editor can be configured under system/editor.html for the javascript daring developers among you).
When I read this, I was electrified. It sounded like Christmas and Easter all in one day. But, as the others here have already written, unfortunately it doesn't work very well. Because if you use a lot of "fancy" HTML code, as JGromit calls it <g>, the preview does not work at all. If you close the HTML editor dialog with <OK> the chaos is perfect. I'm afraid the idea was really very good, but in practice it doesn't work at all. That is a pity.

In an older thread I had suggested that it would help me a lot if the panel where you write your comments was simply "smarter". In other words, there would be a syntax highlighting for HTML code, just like there is already such an editor in jAlbum. It's almost all there already. You just have to allow it, optionally of course, that the user can say show me the "intelligent" HTML syntax highlighting editor in the comments panel (see screenshot). Which, of course, does not change the code. Wouldn't that be a good compromise? What do you think?
RobM

Posted: 18-Jul-2020 14:25   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
Interesting image, especially the ‘!’ At the bottom right corner ;)
mirostar

Posted: 19-Jul-2020 11:33   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
What happened to "Look and feel theme" Nimbus?
It was my favorite theme because the light gray was very pleasant and gentle on the eyes ...
RobM

Posted: 19-Jul-2020 12:21   in response to: mirostar in response to: mirostar
mirostar wrote:
What happened to "Look and feel theme" Nimbus?
It was my favorite theme because the light gray was very pleasant and gentle on the eyes ...
See Preferences>General>Look and feel

Edited by: RobM on 19-Jul-2020 11:22
JeffTucker

Posted: 19-Jul-2020 12:33   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
Yes, holding down Alt will get you to the legacy themes, but they probably won't be around forever (pretty much abandonware). Might be good to add a light gray L&F to the new crop. I know that "dark" is all the rage, but for those of us with aging eyes, those are brutal.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums