This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 21 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 09-Jul-2020 10:42 Last Post By: JeffTucker Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
jwurian1

Slide Show 4: Sub-album Integrity
Posted: 04-Jul-2020 23:04

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Slide Show 4: In an album of albums, is there a way for each sub-album to retain its integrity, particularly with regard to background and album description placement? Please tell me I missed a setting.
JeffTucker

Re: Slide Show 4: Sub-album Integrity
Posted: 04-Jul-2020 23:05   in response to: jwurian1 in response to: jwurian1

(Thread moved - this is a question about a skin, not just a post to share an album with others.)
AndreWolff

Posted: 04-Jul-2020 23:49   in response to: jwurian1 in response to: jwurian1

jwurian1 wrote:
Slide Show 4: In an album of albums, is there a way for each sub-album to retain its integrity, particularly with regard to background and album description placement?
Well I am not sure what you exactly mean with this.

The best way to give all albums the same look is to use a parent album with all albums in sub-folders and make all albums by one Make action.

If you like to work with individual albums linked by an album of albums top page, you should use in all individual album the same settings for layout and colors. Make first one album and if you are satisfied with it import the settings of that album in the other albums.

You could also use just one fixed res path for all your albums as is done in this example album: https://andrewolff.jalbum.net/Texel/
All sub albums are linked to the top album via the Parent page URL.

But the first method is the best method,
jwurian1

Posted: 05-Jul-2020 02:46   in response to: jwurian1 in response to: jwurian1

I can live with the “one for all, all for one” approach but I created the sub-alums with different background and I wish I could keep them as originally designed. To me, the background has a function.
jwurian1

Posted: 05-Jul-2020 04:16   in response to: jwurian1 in response to: jwurian1

I guess that I wanted a separate res for each sub-album. Thanks for responding so quickly.
AndreWolff

Posted: 05-Jul-2020 09:19   in response to: jwurian1 in response to: jwurian1

jwurian1 wrote:
I can live with the “one for all, all for one” approach but I created the sub-alums with different background and I wish I could keep them as originally designed. To me, the background has a function.
Well the problem is that the background can only be defined and saved for use in all albums. jAlbum has no storage area per album. Perhaps I can do something with an inc file which is stored in each album folder.

I have a similar problem with theme images: I tried already years to extend jAlbum with a theme image with dimensions which could be saved per album, see here but apparantly there are much more important extensions to be implemented!
AndreWolff

Posted: 05-Jul-2020 10:04   in response to: jwurian1 in response to: jwurian1

Attachment page-header_0.inc (246 bytes)
jwurian1 wrote:
You can do that by adding a file page-header_0.inc in the image directory of a folder.
In that file you define the background for the folder album, see the atrtached example file.
In this example I use a file Lucht_060203_46.JPG for the background which I saved in the corresponding output folder.

To see the effect, open my Terschelling test album and next open album Overtocht.

More info in the skin manual.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 09-Jul-2020 10:20
JeffTucker

Posted: 05-Jul-2020 13:01   in response to: jwurian1 in response to: jwurian1

jwurian1 wrote:
I guess that I wanted a separate res for each sub-album.

A quick example to clarify what has somehow become confused in this thread....

Say you want to make a Pets album with a section for Dogs, one for Cats, and one for Birds.

You can make a single project, Pets, which has a folder for each kind of pet. For the most part, this means that everything in the album will use the same style - same colors, same caption positions, etc. Some skins allow some variation at the folder level, but it's usually quite limited.

The other way to do it is to make four completely independent projects. First, make a project for Dogs, then one for Cats, then one for Birds. Each one can have a different style, in every respect. In fact, they don't even have to use the same skin. Make each album and upload it to your web site.

The fourth project, Pets, is a master album, a.k.a. an "album of albums," in which there are no folders. There are just three thumbnails, each of which points to one of the separate albums. Each thumbnail is added to the project as a "web location," with a link to where the individual pet album (dog, cat, or bird) is located.

Here are some instructions from one of my skins, but almost all skins work exactly the same way:

https://jgromit.com/mercury/man/mercury_master-album.html

Here
jwurian1

Posted: 06-Jul-2020 16:17   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Attachment error.txt (1,1 KB)
In theory, Mercury is just what I wanted. However I get a 406 error when I try to add a webpage like http://theurians.net/Africa07/index.html. the file is attached.
jwurian1

Posted: 06-Jul-2020 16:21   in response to: jwurian1 in response to: jwurian1

Disregard previous, It requires a webpage image.
AndreWolff

Posted: 06-Jul-2020 17:33   in response to: jwurian1 in response to: jwurian1

Did you try to make folder albums with different backgrounds with an inc-file as I explained above?
JeffTucker

Posted: 06-Jul-2020 17:57   in response to: jwurian1 in response to: jwurian1

jwurian1 wrote:
In theory, Mercury is just what I wanted.

I just grabbed that page because it was handy. You can set up a master album like this with almost any of the current skins. Mercury sticks to a fairly "lean" design for the thumbnail page, but other skins let you do things like adding borders, padding, and so on. All a matter of personal preference (of late, I've gravitated towards the more "unadorned" designs, and my newer skins tend to stick to that approach).
jwurian1

Posted: 06-Jul-2020 20:31   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

I used Mercury as suggested by jGromit. It did what I wanted. Thanks to both of you!
jwurian1

Posted: 07-Jul-2020 00:13   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

May I see the contents of your .inc file.
AndreWolff

Posted: 07-Jul-2020 09:20   in response to: jwurian1 in response to: jwurian1

jwurian1 wrote:
May I see the contents of your .inc file.
Just download that file attached in the message above and open it with a text editor.

You can also view the code in the skin manual.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 09-Jul-2020 10:22
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums