Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 22-Jun-2020 20:23 Last Post By: MarkusD
MarkusD

combo box "drop down count" of 8 :-/
Posted: 21-Jun-2020 09:30
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi,

what is really a big annoyance in many applications, that combo boxes with more than 8 items still only have a "drop down count" of 8 and so often you are forced to scroll endlessly, even though the screen still has 10 times as much space and you could easily display all elements at once. Unfortunately jAlbum (and the Tiger skin for example) also belongs to this category. See the attached file for some examples. Everywhere it would be easy to set the drop down count to 20 or 30, or even 40, every screen today would provide enough space for that. If there are more than 8 entries in a combo box, then my rule is to set the drop down count so that you don't have to scroll to see all elements. I take as a premise that a screen height of at least 768 pixels (a long time 1024x768 was a common resolution) is available. In a special dialog of my own application, I even calculate dynamically at runtime with the available screen height the maximum possible number of entries that can be displayed simultaneously, so that the user has to scroll as little as possible. But you wouldn't have to go that far in jAlbum, just change the value from 8 to 30 in the whole project and it would be so much more comfortable to work with the combo boxes. Thanks a lot. Markus
davidekholm

Re: combo box "drop down count" of 8 :-/
Posted: 21-Jun-2020 10:51   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
Thanks for your input. Votes on this? I don't know if I always prefer a large list of items instead of scrolling, but perhaps something like 20 items should be the threshold, and not just 8
JeffTucker

Posted: 21-Jun-2020 12:22   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Showing just 8 choices is rather skimpy, especially in a JComboBox that you use often, like the skin and style choices. I'd bump it up to 20 and see how it goes.

I'm assuming this change would not magically "ripple down" to the skin UI's. I had never noticed the setMaximumRowCount(int) method. In my skins it usually doesn't matter, but there are a couple of places where kicking that up to a higher value would be very helpful.
RobM

Posted: 21-Jun-2020 12:57   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
MarkusD

Posted: 21-Jun-2020 21:02   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Thanks for your input. Votes on this? I don't know if I always prefer a large list of items instead of scrolling, but perhaps something like 20 items should be the threshold, and not just 8
I would be satisfied with 20. Thanks. ;-)
MarkusD

Posted: 22-Jun-2020 20:23   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
Thank you for pointing that out. I must confess, I don't really understand the code. But what I do know is that you can also control a combo box by keyboard, for example you can navigate to a certain entry by typing letters or you can open it with <alt><down>. But in the end I navigate in a combo box strangely enough more often by mouse.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums