This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 11 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 10-Jun-2020 20:47 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
SMoriarty

All folders except lifeboat.zip and res missing
Posted: 06-Jun-2020 20:37

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I was running jAlbum 20.1 on Windows 10 (2004) the last time I created an album (5/25/20). There are 4 picture folders in the album folder. I uploaded the album and everything was fine. When I opened the album today (6/5/20) all of the picture folders were missing. Only lifeboat.zip and res showed.

I opened 2 other projects with the same results. Only lifeboat.zip and res showed in the Explore panel.

The "missing" folders, and their contents, are actually present in the correct locations.

I did an "update" in the View menu. The folders were still missing. I installed jAlbum 20.2 and the situation is the same.

My input and output folders are the same, as they have been for all the years I have used jAlbum. The date modified on the project .jap files doesn't appear to have been changed from the last time I worked on the projects.

A confusing factor is that I back the project files and the input/output folders to a backup PC also running Windows, but in this case 1909. When I open the projects on that backup machine with jAlbum20.1 the folders are not missing.

The obvious culprit would seem to be the Windows OS, but I can't roll back the 2004 machine to test.

Any suggestions?
JeffTucker

Re: All folders except lifeboat.zip and res missing
Posted: 06-Jun-2020 20:54   in response to: SMoriarty in response to: SMoriarty

The res folder and the lifeboat.zip file shouldn't be showing in the Explore view. Those are part of the output of the project, not the input. From within jAlbum, take a look at Settings > General > Image directory and Output directory, and make sure they're pointing to the right places.

I recently did the Win10/2004 update, with no ill effects, other than the usual Windows nonsense, like having Microsoft decide that I should be using a different "theme."
SMoriarty

Posted: 08-Jun-2020 19:07   in response to: SMoriarty in response to: SMoriarty

For all of the albums I have created over the years, I have moved my images from their "original" folders (Windows) to what I consider my "online" or "album" folder. I do that so that I can select the subset of folders I want to be in the album and, as I move them, resize them and after they are moved, make any sharpness/color/etc. adjustments to these copies. I often put these images into subfolders, such as location or date. Then I create an album with jAlbum and point the input AND the output to that same "online" folder.

All of the project settings are stored in their own folders in Documents\My Albums\<project name>. This has worked well.

This has worked well for me for years. And, I have been able to see the res and lifeboat folders but that has never caused a problem. I just "exclude" them if they aren't automatically excluded.

Once I "make" the album, I upload (via jAlbum's ftp) it to a 3rd party hosting site where I link to the albums via my Wordpress environment.

This morning opened the jAlbum System console. it showed that for every album in the left-side recents list that each album folder was ignored. That is, for each subfolder in the project, there was an entry saying "Ignoring album folder <folder name>. If I select a project and do an "update" I get a new set of "Ignoring album folder <folder name entries.

Am I doing something wrong? I hope not, because I have 35 albums and I would not want to have to reprocess.

Something has changed recently and, now that I see the console "ignoring" messages, I do not think it is the version of Windows I am running.

thanks for your help
RobM

Posted: 08-Jun-2020 19:49   in response to: SMoriarty in response to: SMoriarty

Maybe related to this change
Whenever you get system console messages it is always a good idea to include them in a post.
SMoriarty

Posted: 09-Jun-2020 16:36   in response to: SMoriarty in response to: SMoriarty

Yup, if I knew about console messages before, I probably would have looked at them before. Because I have never had a problem with jAlbum, I wasn't aware of its troubleshooting tools.

The messages do use the term "album folder" so it does make sense that my situation is related to the referenced change.

I looked for, but did not find, a way to instruct jAlbum to allow me to maintain my current structures.

I think what I will try next is to roll back to a version of jAlbum that precedes the change which now seems to be blocking the practice I have been using for years. That will confirm that there is nothing "wrong" with jAlbum, but only that it has changed behavior.

jAlbum has always been good about telling me that it didn't think that my using the same folder for input and output when I created a new album was a good idea, but I never thought I would be prevented from using a practice that has worked for years.

I have some 35 albums, so obviously I am going to try to find a solution that doesn't require me to revisit each of those folder structures and rebuild my albums.

RobM

Posted: 09-Jun-2020 17:01   in response to: SMoriarty in response to: SMoriarty

In a project, jAlbum now ignores any folder named ‘album’. See this post why

You might want to look at this thread as I think it is the problem. It might even be worth watching that thread.
SMoriarty

Posted: 09-Jun-2020 20:21   in response to: SMoriarty in response to: SMoriarty

That's exactly the problem.

I rolled back to 20.0.04 and the problem went away. When I re-read the release notes for 20.1 I understood what "Detects and ignores album folders as input to album projects" which I did not understand when I installed 20.1.

In the past I never even thought about why input and output folders were supposed to be in different locations. My method of creating a single folder, perhaps with sub-folders, and moving my images there, and then creating a new project with the top-level folder as the input AND output had always worked, despite the warning from jAlbum.

I'm a little surprised that the change isn't "override-able" even if it is the new default. Right now, it looks as if I will have to revisit each project and make changes if I want to stay current.

I really don't want to go touch all of my projects and move files around, so I think I will stick to 20.0.4 for a while.

Thanks for the help.
davidekholm

Posted: 09-Jun-2020 21:10   in response to: SMoriarty in response to: SMoriarty

Would it be a good solution if I simply allow index.html files to be present if the user has directed the output to the same folder as the image directory? What do you think jGromit?
SMoriarty

Posted: 09-Jun-2020 21:44   in response to: SMoriarty in response to: SMoriarty

Attachment Capture_sub.JPG (58,8 KB)
Attachment Capture_top.JPG (40,4 KB)
That is a good question.

I just looked at my most recent album to see if that would work and I am not sure. It would seem that if you found an index file and allowed that to override the album folder check, that would work in my case for all existing projects. That is, the "album folders" would not be ignored.

I attached a couple of screen captures to see if you agree. Both the top-level folder and the Granada sub-folder have index files, but I am not exactly sure if that is what you were asking. This project was begun under 20.0.04 and worked fine (I checked after I rolled back and it still works) but the project did not "see" the subfolders when opened with 20.2.

I could change my behavior in the future so that I don't use the same folder as input and output, but of course I would like to preserve what I have now.
davidekholm

Posted: 09-Jun-2020 22:12   in response to: SMoriarty in response to: SMoriarty

I'm reconsidering this whole thing. Realizing that some users, like you, generate the album files to the same folder as the image directory AND taking into account that we now offer to move the output directory when changing the output directory (i.e, no more old stale album folders reappearing in the new album), it makes more sense to revert this filtering out folders that contains index.html files.

You can get jAlbum 20.2 and then update to 20.2.3 via Tools->External tools->jAlbum core update. This version behaves like earlier versions did.
SMoriarty

Posted: 10-Jun-2020 15:31   in response to: SMoriarty in response to: SMoriarty

Thanks. 20.2.3 has reverted back to the prior behavior. My projects now show all of their album folders in addition to lifeboat.zip and res.

I appreciate the support and the work you did on this.
davidekholm

Posted: 10-Jun-2020 20:47   in response to: SMoriarty in response to: SMoriarty

Thank you, you're welcome
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums