This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 31 May 20, 00:12 Last Post By: msand42
msand42

Why do I sometimes have to refresh the screen to see latest changes?
Posted: 30 May 20, 21:43

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Sometimes when I make changes to an album and publish it, when I then view the album the change is not there. If I reload (refresh) the browser page (Firefox) the change is there. Is there a setting in jAlbum to guarantee that changes show up immediately, or this a Firefox issue?
RobM

Re: Why do I sometimes have to refresh the screen to see latest changes?
Posted: 30 May 20, 21:46   in response to: msand42 in response to: msand42

It is a common thing with browsers. Refreshing the cache is normal if changes don’t appear after an upload, and then a reload of the pages
JeffTucker

Posted: 30 May 20, 21:50   in response to: msand42 in response to: msand42

Browsers cache things in order to be more efficient. If every one of your pages uses jQuery, for example, you don't want the browser to go back to the server to get a fresh copy of jQuery.js on every page.

So, when you make a change to an album, the browser initially just shows you what it's already got in its cache. It doesn't know that anything has changed. A refresh takes care of it. The passage of time also takes care of it - the cached stuff expires, and the browser will get a fresh copy. Running something like CCleaner also clears out the browser cache.

You can control your own browser, but you can't control other people's browsers, alas. There are various schemes for pumping out web pages with coding that tells the browser that it shouldn't use its cached copies of files, but they either don't work, or they're a sledgehammer, and slow down page loading something fierce.
msand42

Posted: 31 May 20, 00:10   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

I figured so. Thanks for reply.
msand42

Posted: 31 May 20, 00:12   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Thanks for your reply.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums