This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 24-May-2020 15:23 Last Post By: RobM Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Yvon-Haddock

Tutorial for a good startup after a good installation and respect the limit
Posted: 20-May-2020 10:00

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hello users,

I am using this jAlbum since years but not regularly. So when I come back on it i am lost.

Is there a tutorial (book, pdf, ...) that explain the gloabl philosophy of how jAlbum is managing the pictures and for exemple, what's the best way to organize the 2 main folders... ?

Of course, if a search do not give a comprehensive answer, I can go on here to learn day by day... but I don't want to annoy members for things already explain and discuss.

Thanks to help

My alias is Haddock so to end these first thread

Haddockement

Yvon Durieux alias "Capitaine Haddock"

Belgium GMT +2

Edited by: jGromit on 20-May-2020 18:07 - irrelevant and inaccessible links removed.
RobM

Re: Tutorial for a good startup after a good installation and respect the limit
Posted: 20-May-2020 10:53   in response to: Yvon-Haddock in response to: Yvon-Haddock

Yvon-Haddock

Posted: 20-May-2020 11:37   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Thanks,...

I had already seen it but I am looking for a step by step learning with structural explanations.

Thanks again anyway
RobM

Posted: 20-May-2020 12:09   in response to: Yvon-Haddock in response to: Yvon-Haddock

If the Tutorials are not enough then you might be better being specific about what you want to know. jAlbum has so many features and skins, which can make a big difference to the way things work, that it is near impossible to cover all of the possibilities.
Yvon-Haddock

Posted: 24-May-2020 11:11   in response to: Yvon-Haddock in response to: Yvon-Haddock

So, to use jAlbum in the best way.... here is my main thread.... and if this is not the good place, thanks to the moderator to guide me in the right forum chapter.

I want to create a "big" album of picture... but not in one step. I will add the pictures day after day... and the album will grow.

If I understand well, creating a new album starts with the parameters of organizing the 2 essential folders wich must be separate : Images folders & Destination folders.

The "Images folder" (I have to specify) will be with sub-folder and structured the same way I want the final album on the Web. Day after day, I will add pictures in this folders and/or the sub-folders...
So that, ... when opening the jAlbum project (with it's specific name) the program will automatically look in this folder and upgrade this album... comparing, adding, deleting...and so on.

First question : Is what I have written here above is correct ?

If yes (cross fingers)... I have 2 options and this is my second question

First option : I put these 2 folders in a common folders. So I will create a global folder named "Whiskey" and have inside the 2 folders "Whiskey-pictures" & "Whiskey-destinations". So I am on the same disk (... and it's easy to make a backup of this project)

Second option : I put these 2 folders on 2 separate disk... (to backup I need to specify the disk letter of each folder).

Second question :

What do you recommand to have the most reliable solution to manage an upgrading project that can be more and more heavy ?

Third question :

I use a Synology Server in Raid5 as internal network. All computers are connected on it.
Do you recommand to use it to store the folders (option 1) or only one folder (option 2) and which one ?

Thanks to help and guide. The objective is to start with the best and organize method to be reliable whatever is the evolution in quantities of pictures (... may be several thousand) !

Haddockement
Yvon Durieux alias "Capitaine Haddock"
Belgium GMT +2

Edited by: Yvon-Haddock on 24-May-2020 11:13
RobM

Posted: 24-May-2020 12:25   in response to: Yvon-Haddock in response to: Yvon-Haddock

Yvon-Haddock wrote:
So, to use jAlbum in the best way.... here is my main thread.... and if this is not the good place, thanks to the moderator to guide me in the right forum chapter.

I want to create a "big" album of picture... but not in one step. I will add the pictures day after day... and the album will grow.

If I understand well, creating a new album starts with the parameters of organizing the 2 essential folders wich must be separate : Images folders & Destination folders.

The "Images folder" (I have to specify) will be with sub-folder and structured the same way I want the final album on the Web. Day after day, I will add pictures in this folders and/or the sub-folders...
So that, ... when opening the jAlbum project (with it's specific name) the program will automatically look in this folder and upgrade this album... comparing, adding, deleting...and so on.

First question : Is what I have written here above is correct ?

Yes, but if you use the default setting, see Preferences>Album, the destination (album folder) will be a subfolder of the images folder. That makes backing up the project very easy.
If yes (cross fingers)... I have 2 options and this is my second question

First option : I put these 2 folders in a common folders. So I will create a global folder named "Whiskey" and have inside the 2 folders "Whiskey-pictures" & "Whiskey-destinations". So I am on the same disk (... and it's easy to make a backup of this project)

Second option : I put these 2 folders on 2 separate disk... (to backup I need to specify the disk letter of each folder).

Again, you need to look at the preference link above and decide if you want the album within the images folder or separate from it. Unless you have your own web server I think having the album as a subfolder of the images is best. Then you only need to decide on the ‘Projects directory’ location and then in jAlbum create your new project (the image folder). You can then add images and sub folders within jAlbum or from your OSs explorer.

When you reopen the project in jAlbum all you need to do is click on the ‘Make album’ button and then upload the updated album.
Second question :

What do you recommand to have the most reliable solution to manage an upgrading project that can be more and more heavy ?

Many users have very large projects, tens of thousands of images and have no problem with using a single project.

You can divide your images in to smaller projects/albums and make a master album that links them together. See making an album of albums link in my earlier post. Note however, things like searching an album (a feature in Tiger skin, for example) will only work for each album, you won’t be able to search across all sub albums.
Third question :

I use a Synology Server in Raid5 as internal network. All computers are connected on it.
Do you recommand to use it to store the folders (option 1) or only one folder (option 2) and which one ?

If you want to update the project from more than one computer Or your PC does not have enough free disc space then a shared drive is best, otherwise I would use the PCs storage or a drive connected directly to it.
Thanks to help and guide. The objective is to start with the best and organize method to be reliable whatever is the evolution in quantities of pictures (... may be several thousand) !
The above is just my personal view, others might reply with their suggestions, so you might want to wait a few days before deciding what to do next.
Yvon-Haddock

Posted: 24-May-2020 14:33   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Thank you RobM, I see you are very active on these forum... and that I am on the right place.

Yes, but if you use the default setting, see Preferences>Album, the destination (album folder) will be a subfolder of the images folder. That makes backing up the project very easy.

Ok, it means that source pictures will be "duplicate" in destination folder. So, jAlbum has to copy the pictures in destination and it is a read/writte on the same disk... I suppose conceptors are "aware" of these gymnastic for the disk. I am director/editor in video and when I export, I prefer to do it from one disk to another...

Following your next answer :

...I think having the album as a subfolder of the images is best. Then you only need to decide on the ‘Projects directory’ location and then in jAlbum create your new project (the image folder). You can then add images and sub folders within jAlbum or from your OSs explorer.

When you reopen the project in jAlbum all you need to do is click on the ‘Make album’
button and then upload the updated album.

So if I understand well I have 2 ways to add pictures :

1. With jAlbum open : charging the new images from their original places (they will be copy in the main folder). ... and in this case the final album will be directly updated

2. Create from windows explorer the eventually new sub-folders in the main project directory and copy the images where I need.... Then later reopen the project and click on the ‘Make album’ wich will be automatically update and at this moment.

Just another question for option 1 (via jAlbum open) : have I a "genuine source information" of the location for each picture added in the project ?

You can divide your images in to smaller projects/albums and make a master album that links them together. See making an album of albums link in my earlier post. Note however, things like searching an album (a feature in Tiger skin, for example) will only work for each album, you won’t be able to search across all sub albums.

Thanks for suggestion... but a little bit to complicate for me at this moment

...otherwise I would use the PCs storage or a drive connected directly to it.

My optionnal choice : I think that I will dedicate an external SSD disk to globalize all Projects. I can make a backup on my server (just in case) and move from computer. So I will not risk doing a melting pot between the genuine place of the pictures and the copies I have selected and added for the project. What is your opinion or "relevant remark" about this choice ?

Thank you again for your time and clear explanations

Haddock
RobM

Posted: 24-May-2020 15:23   in response to: Yvon-Haddock in response to: Yvon-Haddock

Yvon-Haddock wrote:
Thank you RobM, I see you are very active on these forum... and that I am on the right place.

Ok, it means that source pictures will be "duplicate" in destination folder. So, jAlbum has to copy the pictures in destination and it is a read/writte on the same disk... I suppose conceptors are "aware" of these gymnastic for the disk. I am director/editor in video and when I export, I prefer to do it from one disk to another...

If you are using the original sized images in your album you can save disc space by using hard links, see [Preferences>Album>Use hard links. But jAlbum will let you keep the input and output folders separate, it is a personal choice.
Following your next answer :

...I think having the album as a subfolder of the images is best. Then you only need to decide on the ‘Projects directory’ location and then in jAlbum create your new project (the image folder). You can then add images and sub folders within jAlbum or from your OSs explorer.

When you reopen the project in jAlbum all you need to do is click on the ‘Make album’
button and then upload the updated album.

So if I understand well I have 2 ways to add pictures :

1. With jAlbum open : charging the new images from their original places (they will be copy in the main folder). ... and in this case the final album will be directly updated

You still need to click on make album after adding your new images.
2. Create from windows explorer the eventually new sub-folders in the main project directory and copy the images where I need.... Then later reopen the project and click on the ‘Make album’ wich will be automatically update and at this moment.
Yes. There is another way, leave jAlbum open and run it in server mode, with or without upload. See https://jalbum.net/help/en/JAlbum/Menus#Tools navigate to external tools and then read the server mode and server mode with upload.
Just another question for option 1 (via jAlbum open) : have I a "genuine source information" of the location for each picture added in the project ?
Not sure what you mean but see the Managing images with jAbum tutorial wherever your images are stored jAlbum will keep track of them. However, if you link to images and then move the source files jAlbum will report broken links. You will then need to repair those links.

Thanks for suggestion... but a little bit to complicate for me at this moment

...otherwise I would use the PCs storage or a drive connected directly to it.

My optionnal choice : I think that I will dedicate an external SSD disk to globalize all Projects. I can make a backup on my server (just in case) and move from computer. So I will not risk doing a melting pot between the genuine place of the pictures and the copies I have selected and added for the project. What is your opinion or "relevant remark" about this choice ?

Disc space is cheap, so I always work with copies of my images. I also have an external drive connected to automatically back up my computer, and another disc to make an archive copy every now and then.
Thank you again for your time and clear explanations
You are welcome.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums