Permlink Replies: 18 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 16 Jul 20, 00:01 Last Post By: JeffTucker Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
pgh

Incorrect Album Description
Posted: 6 May 20, 19:40
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Still now in May 2020 I seem to be having similar problems. I have a typo in the Album Description. I edit it in Settings/General and/or in Explore. Neither seems to make any difference--after multiple remakes the typo is still there. both in the preview and loading the album in a browser. I am using jAlbum 20.0.4 and Pluto 26, but the problem remains with other skins.

Edited by: pgh on 06-May-2020 19:41

(Split from an old thread that wasn't really about the same problem.)

Edited by: jGromit on 07-May-2020 02:29
JeffTucker

Re: Settings: Album-Beschreibung
Posted: 6 May 20, 21:14   in response to: pgh in response to: pgh
Very odd.... The album description is a simple text field, stored in a simple text file. Just as an experiment, launch jAlbum and open the project. Now open the image directory - Tools, Open directories, Image directory - and exit from jAlbum completely. Now, out in File Explorer/Finder, head for the .jalbum/meta.properties file in the image directory. The .jalbum directory is often hidden, so you might have to tell File Explorer/Finder to show you hidden files. Open meta.properties in a simple text editor (not in a word processing application). You should see a line like:
descript=something or other
Delete everything after the equals sign, save the file, go back into jAlbum, and see what happens.
pgh

Posted: 6 May 20, 22:55   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
Followed your very clear instructions ... and no change -- after a remake the incorrect description is still there so it must be getting it from somewhere else -- I rather suspected that would be the case -- but where? The description I deleted was the corrected one.
JeffTucker

Posted: 6 May 20, 23:04   in response to: pgh in response to: pgh
Even more mysterious. AFAIK, it isn't stored anywhere else. Please give us a link to the finished album - the lifeboat file that's included with the album may provide some illumination.
pgh

Posted: 6 May 20, 23:05   in response to: pgh in response to: pgh
Looked around a bit more and found where the incorrect description is stored: in album/index.html in a line in the <head>

<meta name='description' content=

followed by the album title, a dash and the old album description

I assume this gets written at some point by from the setting and should have been rewritten but wasn't. Wonder how that is (or isn't) triggered.
JeffTucker

Posted: 6 May 20, 23:11   in response to: pgh in response to: pgh
No, that's in the output. When you make an album, what's sitting in the output isn't relevant - the album-building process doesn't look at it.
pgh

Posted: 6 May 20, 23:13   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
Right, i see that since I tried manually correcting that line and after remake it returned to its incorrect state so it is being written from somewhere else.
JeffTucker

Posted: 6 May 20, 23:15   in response to: pgh in response to: pgh
I hate to be pushy, but I really can't help if you won't provide a link to the album. I can't just guess blindly.

ETA: Correction: I won't just guess blindly.
pgh

Posted: 6 May 20, 23:24   in response to: pgh in response to: pgh
It seems to be also in .jalbum/.info, but that also gets overwritten with the incorrect version after I change it manually.
pgh

Posted: 6 May 20, 23:27   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
Sorry, I'm not holding out -- I just hadn't uploaded it yet since it has an error. I'll do it now.

The link is

http://pgh.jalbum.net/Norway%202018/
JeffTucker

Posted: 6 May 20, 23:58   in response to: pgh in response to: pgh
That is certainly one stubborn little "s," isn't it?!

Still head-scratching over this one....
JeffTucker

Posted: 7 May 20, 00:11   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
I think I've discovered a difficult-to-trigger jAlbum core bug, but one that, once you've landed on it, is very resistant to being fixed. I think I have a workaround, something that should cure the problem, at least in this instance.

• Launch jAlbum and open the project.
  • Open the image directory.
  • Close jAlbum.
  • In the image directory, delete the .jalbum/.info file entirely.
  • Launch jAlbum and open the project.
  • Under Settings > General, enter the correct Album Title and Album Description.
  • Make Album.

(David, I think you'll be hearing from me when I sober up. I believe this is a classic case of "two different places to enter the same information, but not synchronized with each other.")
pgh

Posted: 7 May 20, 03:49   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
Yes, that worked. I'll be interested to hear what David has to say and the final analysis of this problem. Many thanks for your efforts.
JeffTucker

Posted: 7 May 20, 07:19   in response to: pgh in response to: pgh
Alas, I can't seem to reproduce the condition that was causing the error, and I didn't keep the lifeboat file from your project. Now, of course, the files have been corrected, so everything works normally. We may just have to wait for this to happen to someone else, unless I can stumble into the precise sequence to produce the "stuck" album description.
JeffTucker

Posted: 7 May 20, 08:40   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
Well, I can almost get there.

David, grab this completely zipped-up project: https://jefftucker.jalbum.net/DescriptionTest.zip

Take a look at Settings > General > Album description. In the Explore view, take a look at the Description in the right panel. Both say, "Correct Description," right? Now Make Album and take a look at the album description in the header. ;)

So, what's going on here? Open up the .info file. You'll see this node:
 <void method="put">
   <string>description</string>
   <string>The Wrong Description</string>
  </void>
How did that get in there? I confess, I manually edited the file and put it in there. And once it's there, nothing short of another manual edit (or deletion) will fix it. But user pgh certainly didn't do any manual editing of that file, and I saw exactly that kind of node in the .info file from his project.

I can't reconstruct the sequence that will cause the album description to be written out to the .info file, but once it gets there, you're in no-man's-land.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums