Permlink Replies: 18 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 21-Apr-2020 19:23 Last Post By: ksmatharu Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
ksmatharu

Jupiter 14 - working well for me
Posted: 20-Apr-2020 19:38
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Just to let you know, Jupiter 14 is working well for me. I'm aware of other problems in the other threads, but I don't use those features. I have, however, modified the folder overlay icon using Inkscape and it's looking good; t's darker, with a light stroke so pretty much visible on dark and light photos :) The other icons are acceptable so I'm not tempted to change those ;)

The only issue that confounded me was when I first published to my Internet web server; the camera icon in the metadata was HUGE! I wasn't getting this problem on the preview or on my own local NAS web server, so I suspected it may have been something to do with the CDN (Cloudflare). I tend to find that the Rocket Loader feature can cause problems so I turned it off. No change, so I purged the cache on the CDN, again no change. And then I deleted my browser's cache...success!

I've not been brave enough to re-enable Rocket Loader to confirm it was the culprit!

My album home page:
https://www.silentnomad.com/images/
AndreWolff

Re: Jupiter 14 - working well for me
Posted: 20-Apr-2020 19:51   in response to: ksmatharu in response to: ksmatharu
Why such a large camera icon ,see screenshot, in the lower left corner?
RobM

Posted: 20-Apr-2020 20:23   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
Looks ok, see attached, have you visited the site before?
AndreWolff

Posted: 20-Apr-2020 20:33   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
AndreWolff wrote:
Looks ok, see attached, have you visited the site before?
No, but I use an iPad and you use a PC I think.

On my iPad it is Ok with FF and Chrome, only Safari shows a large icon.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 20-Apr-2020 20:37
jGromit

Posted: 20-Apr-2020 20:53   in response to: ksmatharu in response to: ksmatharu
ksmatharu wrote:
And then I deleted my browser's cache...success!

While I'm testing changes, I get caught by that at least once a week.

I've not been brave enough to re-enable Rocket Loader to confirm it was the culprit!

It's not unusual to find that these "helper" utilities often cause more harm than good. I've seen page optimizer scripts, for example, make a complete hash of things.

I was about to ask your opinion about my "Jupiter hit list," but I see you're not using any of those features, anyway: https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=56139

There is one change coming that you're probably not going to like, however. In all of my skins, I'm getting rid of the folder overlay icon entirely. I realized that for my own albums, I always turn them off. And another user, in an email exchange, remarked that visitors don't decide on whether to click on a thumbnail based on whether it's an image or a folder. If faced with a page of folders, if there are no indications that they're folders, does the visitor sit there helpless, wondering what to do? I decided he was right.

In your albums, folder thumbnails are fixed shape, have captions, and are larger. Image thumbnails are not fixed shape, don't have captions, and are smaller. That's enough to differentiate them.

Besides that, I've never found an overlay that looks good everywhere - it's just too dependent upon the image content. An icon that looks okay on folders 1-3 becomes invisible on folder 4.

Finally, I note, too, that Laza hasn't used them since Chameleon, and no one seems to get too upset about it.

The "no-folder-icon" user also remarked that he'd prefer to see the "up" icon used not only to go from a subfolder to its parent, but also from a slide page to its parent index page. It's more consistent, and users understand it instinctively. He's right about that one, too. I'll use the "index" icon only to return from an info page, though even that one could probably use an "up" or a "previous."
jGromit

Posted: 20-Apr-2020 20:58   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
No, but I use an iPad and you use a PC I think.

Take another look at RobM's screenshot. Obviously Safari, and obviously an iPad.

ETA: Besides that, it's just a simple little SVG file with a specified height and width. Not even Safari could screw that up.
ksmatharu

Posted: 20-Apr-2020 21:00   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
Large camera icon? I thought I got rid of it. The fact that you're seeing it...is it a cache issue from the CDN that I mentioned before? Or it some quirk in the code on first time use? I've never seen that large camera icon on my onw local server, but it did pop up when I published to the Internet server. Hmm.
jGromit

Posted: 20-Apr-2020 21:07   in response to: ksmatharu in response to: ksmatharu
Camera icon is perfectly normal when I view it, from any device, in any browser. I can't even guess what's going on there.
AndreWolff

Posted: 20-Apr-2020 21:10   in response to: ksmatharu in response to: ksmatharu
ksmatharu wrote:
Large camera icon? I thought I got rid of it. The fact that you're seeing it...is it a cache issue from the CDN that I mentioned before?
I think so, after I removed all website data, the camera icon was again small.
ksmatharu

Posted: 20-Apr-2020 21:10   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
OK. I'm not precious about the folder overlay :) And I totally agree about the "up" icon.

I am bothered about the large camera icon that some can see. Has that been resolved?

Also, thanks to Andre, I can confirm that the Info link results in a 403 error, but on my PC (Wind10) using Firefox, Chrome, and Edge the Info button works OK.
ksmatharu

Posted: 20-Apr-2020 21:16   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
Andre, thanks, that seems to be good news on the camera icon! I'll try and do some tests on some other machines and perhaps through some VPN servers in other countries to check on edge server cache.
ksmatharu

Posted: 20-Apr-2020 21:27   in response to: ksmatharu in response to: ksmatharu
I spoke too soon about the 403 error for the Info links. It 403 is now happening on Win10 Firefox/Chrome./Edge browsers after I cleared their cache. I think something on my CDN is messing this up.
jGromit

Posted: 20-Apr-2020 21:34   in response to: ksmatharu in response to: ksmatharu
ksmatharu wrote:
Also, thanks to Andre, I can confirm that the Info link results in a 403 error, but on my PC (Wind10) using Firefox, Chrome, and Edge the Info button works OK.

I'm also getting the 403 - Win10, FF. There's something about the query string on the call to the info page URL that it doesn't like. But there's nothing the least bit strange about it, and it's absolutely required. Without that return path, the info page wouldn't know how to send you back to where you came from.

So, this fails: https://www.silentnomad.com/images/infopage.php?https://www.silentnomad.com/images/

But this is OK: https://www.silentnomad.com/images/infopage.php

But with the latter version, there's no "going back."

There's also an HTML error in your info page text (I can get to the page by entering the URL directly in the browser) - an extra closing </div>. But that couldn't be the cause of the 403.

And why PHP?
jGromit

Posted: 20-Apr-2020 21:36   in response to: ksmatharu in response to: ksmatharu
ksmatharu wrote:
I think something on my CDN is messing this up.

This is why I don't use one. It seems to be a technology that promises more than it can deliver.
ksmatharu

Posted: 20-Apr-2020 21:57   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
OK. I remember this has happened before but I forgot from where. I remember it was due to hotlink protection and I was fixated with the CDN's hot-link protection, but all along it was the hot-link protection at my website's cPanel. I don't recall turning it on, but I just had a look and saw it was enabled. I turned it off. All is now working again. I hope!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums