This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 09-Apr-2020 21:01 Last Post By: dgrd1701 Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
dgrd1701

Widgets broken in 19.3.6
Posted: 02-Apr-2020 22:30

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Whenever I click on the Widgets tab in 19.3.6, I get the following error:

An unexpected error occurred. Please see detailed description below:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at se.datadosen.jalbum.Notifier.urlEncode(Notifier.java:258)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.JWidgetSettingsPanel$RefreshWorker.doInBackground(JWidgetSettingsPanel.java:72)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.JWidgetSettingsPanel$RefreshWorker.doInBackground(JWidgetSettingsPanel.java:47)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

This happens with any skin that I've tried. I want to add the comments widget but can't get past this error.
jGromit

Re: Widgets broken in 19.3.6
Posted: 02-Apr-2020 23:30   in response to: dgrd1701 in response to: dgrd1701

I don't think anything has changed in that part of jAlbum in a long time, and I don't get that error, so you might want to do a full uninstall/reinstall of jAlbum, following these instructions:

https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=35746

You could also just come at the problem from the other direction. Ignore the Widgets panel in the application. Make your album and upload it, making sure that you have widget support turned on under Settings > Advanced > Metadata > Include jAlbum widget support. Then go to your profile page, hover on the thumbnail for that album, click the little down arrow, and choose Edit album. On the page that appears, choose your widgets.
dgrd1701

Posted: 03-Apr-2020 05:11   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I followed the instructions to uninstall/reinstall but the error is still there. I don't know how to get to my profile page because I don't host at album. I upload a ton of galleries to my own website. Furthermore, jalbum.net doesn't recognize my login, but when I click on user forum it logs me in automatically to the main site. I don't even make new albums viewable at jalbum.net anymore.

Any other ideas? I really need to get the comments widget working.
jGromit

Posted: 03-Apr-2020 14:13   in response to: dgrd1701 in response to: dgrd1701

First things first. If you're posting here, you are logged in to jalbum.net. Your browser apparently remembers your password, even if you don't.

Your profile page: https://dgrd1701.jalbum.net/

While you're there, this might be the time to change your password, and write it down.

Now, widgets. I'm suspicious about the error you're getting. When you reinstalled, did you really clear out everything? You didn't just skip a few steps, or try to second-guess any of them, did you? With a truly fresh install, this just shouldn't be happening.

In any event, the next thing to remember is that, no matter where your album is hosted, it must be listed on your profile page in order for widgets to work.

The instructions: https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=40855
dgrd1701

Posted: 04-Apr-2020 05:04   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I didn't skip any steps. The key may be in your last statement. I use it for a camera club so there have been over 300 galleries created. Many other them have similar names... March2018Digital or April2018Digital or March2019Digital, etc. How can I make sure they are all posted one the profile page?
jGromit

Posted: 04-Apr-2020 14:00   in response to: dgrd1701 in response to: dgrd1701

dgrd1701 wrote:
The key may be in your last statement. I use it for a camera club so there have been over 300 galleries created. Many other them have similar names... March2018Digital or April2018Digital or March2019Digital, etc.

That shouldn't be a problem. This error is still unexplained. In the thread just below this one, another user encountered it, but he then vanished without helping with debugging, so it never got resolved (why do users do that?). I've asked David to take a look at this, but he's been tied up with other things.

How can I make sure they are all posted one the profile page?

The linked thread explains that. The key is to be logged in to your account, from within the application, when you do the upload (upper right corner). That causes a thumbnail to be created on your profile page.

To add a missing thumbnail, either do the routine for adding an external album (described in detail in the linked thread), or open the project again in jAlbum, make sure you're logged in, and upload it again.
davidekholm

Posted: 06-Apr-2020 09:28   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

This problem's root cause seems to be that you have a misconfigured "web root URL". Open the upload window and connect to your server. Now right click the folder that represents the root of your web site and select "Mark as web root". Now ensure that you have a valid address to your web site in the dialog that opens. Finally upload the album again. This will reset the "albumURL" property of your current album project correctly (stored within .jalbum/.info of your current project). Now the problem should go away.

We didn't have this side-effect error previously as jAlbum previously never allowed you to upload albums without a correctly set "web root URL".
dgrd1701

Posted: 09-Apr-2020 16:59   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Wow, that was a subtle error. The Widgets tab is now working though. I'm still not all the way there yet. In this forum I read that Chameleon no longer works for comments because it's based on Flash, but it another place someone said that as long as comments are enabled in Widgets they will show up. I have them enabled in Widgets but no comment box is showing up. Do I need to use a different skin that has better comment support? Most of the skins don't seem to support viewer comments anymore.
jGromit

Posted: 09-Apr-2020 17:19   in response to: dgrd1701 in response to: dgrd1701

I think you're confusing two similar, but unrelated things.

Chameleon had its own method for allowing visitor comments. This was before jAlbum widgets even existed. I don't know if the Chameleon built-in commenting tool still works - Chameleon is considered obsolete (for a number of reasons), and most of us don't even have it installed any longer.

Today, I don't think any skins try to do their own routine for allowing visitor comments. They just rely on jAlbum widgets to provide that option (though many skins don't support widgets at all, so with those, there's no way to collect visitor comments).

So, even in a Chameleon album, if you have enabled widget support, and if the album is listed on your profile page, you should be seeing the widget bar at the bottom, and visitors can enter comments there. It's present on your 2020Apr album - if you're not seeing it, refresh your browser cache.

But yes, it's time to leave Chameleon behind.
dgrd1701

Posted: 09-Apr-2020 21:01   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Yes, I suspected that, but it helped to get clarification, especially since the Widget tab wasn't working until I followed the instructions for setting web root.

Thanks
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums