This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 17-Apr-2020 18:14 Last Post By: MarkusD Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
MarkusD

meta name="description" three times in index.html
Posted: 30-Mar-2020 20:43

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi,

I really don't look into the generated html or other files very often. But I don't under stand why are there three description sections, see screenshot.

First:
<meta name="description" content="So 26.01.2020 Vågsli – Bergen – ‚MS Polarlys‘ 4 Std. 02 Min. ... rächen.">

Second:
<meta property="og:description" content="So 26.01.2020 Vågsli – Bergen – ‚MS Polarlys‘ 4 Std.  ... rächen.">

Third:
<meta name="twitter:description" content="So 26.01.2020 Vågsli – Bergen – ‚MS Polarlys‘ 4 Std.  ... rächen.">

1) What does the "og:description" mean, what is "og"?
2) Why is there a twitter section anyway? I haven't included Twitter in my Tiger options.

The thing is, if you use really long comments (like me <g>) then you'll end up with very large index.html files which to contain two unnecessary large text blocks.

Thanks in advance, Markus
jGromit

Re: meta name="description" three times in index.html
Posted: 30-Mar-2020 21:03   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
Helpful
The og:description meta tag is for Facebook - Google for open graph protocol.

The skin (and this is a skin-specific thing) could probably not generate those if they're not needed. For 99.9999% of all users, it doesn't matter, since they're not including vast amounts of material in the description. It's usually just a few words.

So, this gets moved to the Tiger section.
MarkusD

Posted: 30-Mar-2020 21:25   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
The og:description meta tag is for Facebook - Google for open graph protocol.
Thanks for the info.

The skin (and this is a skin-specific thing) could probably not generate those if they're not needed. For 99.9999% of all users, it doesn't matter, since they're not including vast amounts of material in the description. It's usually just a few words.

So, I'm "feeding" Facebook, Google and Twitter - the top most evil companies of the planet - with information, even if I don't want that. Not that funny if you ask me. ;-) I like to be on that side of the 0.0001% of users. :-)
jGromit

Posted: 30-Mar-2020 21:39   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
Helpful
MarkusD wrote:
So, I'm "feeding" Facebook, Google and Twitter - the top most evil companies of the planet - with information, even if I don't want that.

No, you're not. Facebook and Twitter aren't reading those meta tags - they don't roam the internet, looking for pages.

You're feeding Google every time you upload an album. It's a search engine. But it's a well-behaved search engine, so if you use the proper robots.txt file and meta tag on your pages, it will leave your site completely alone. Not so, some of the "rogue" search engines.

At the root of your domain, robots.txt:
User-agent: *
Disallow: / 
In the head section of any page you want ignored:
<meta name='robots' content='noindex, nofollow'>
ETA: The complete guide to keeping the search bots away: https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=55741
MarkusD

Posted: 01-Apr-2020 18:42   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
You're feeding Google every time you upload an album. It's a search engine. But it's a well-behaved search engine, so if you use the proper robots.txt file and meta tag on your pages, it will leave your site completely alone. Not so, some of the "rogue" search engines.

At the root of your domain, robots.txt:

User-agent: *
Disallow: / 
Yes, I know, I have that already in the robots.txt. Thanks.

In the head section of any page you want ignored:
<meta name='robots' content='noindex, nofollow'>
ETA: The complete guide to keeping the search bots away: https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=55741
Thanks for the info, I'll have a look into that.
MarkusD

Posted: 16-Apr-2020 20:06   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
MarkusD wrote:
So, I'm "feeding" Facebook, Google and Twitter - the top most evil companies of the planet - with information, even if I don't want that.

No, you're not. Facebook and Twitter aren't reading those meta tags - they don't roam the internet, looking for pages.

What I don't understand is, when I choose to not check the option Facebook and Twitter on Tiger | Site | Social | Share on why does Tiger generate code in the resulting html files? That makes no sense to me.
jGromit

Posted: 16-Apr-2020 21:54   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

It's because those tag aren't used only when you're displaying "share" icons on the page. They're used any time someone posts a link to one of your albums on his or her Facebook page, for example. You can't prevent people from doing that, and if they do, the way it shows up on their pages is greatly improved by the presence of those tags.

But if you want to obsess over it, just edit the skin's page-header.inc file and remove those lines. Fifteen seconds of work, less time than this discussion has consumed. ;)
MarkusD

Posted: 17-Apr-2020 18:14   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
It's because those tag aren't used only when you're displaying "share" icons on the page. They're used any time someone posts a link to one of your albums on his or her Facebook page, for example. You can't prevent people from doing that, and if they do, the way it shows up on their pages is greatly improved by the presence of those tags.

But if you want to obsess over it, just edit the skin's page-header.inc file and remove those lines. Fifteen seconds of work, less time than this discussion has consumed. ;)

Thanks for the info. I delete the lines in page-header.inc and this case is closed. :-)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums