This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 29-Feb-2020 15:39 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
rfm2

Mars skin with theme image
Posted: 28-Feb-2020 23:31

Click to reply to this thread Reply
In experimenting with the Mars skin (and similar characteristics with Venus), when using a theme image the minimum height with a fixed theme image is 200px, and 15% with a parallax theme image. The manual indicates that the parallax height is 15% of the viewport width. In my test album on a 1600px x 900px monitor the parallax theme image at 15% is 300px, but it seems like it should be 240px. Am I misunderstanding the application of the 15%?

Also, when scrolling with no theme image or a fixed (200 px) theme image, the Top of Page icon appears well before the top of the thumbnail body reaches the top of the screen. With a parallax theme image, scrolling dips well into the thumbnail body before the Top of Page icon appears. Is that just a natural characteristic of the parallax theme image?

I want to use the Mars (or Venus) parallax theme image on a "for real" album sometime and I want to be sure I understand the application, particularly in trying to make the parallax theme image with no greater height than that of the fixed theme image. I know, I know - if I want it to be no more than the 200px fixed theme height why not just go with the fixed, but the parallax approach has an interesting aesthetic that I would like to use.
jGromit

Re: Mars skin with theme image
Posted: 29-Feb-2020 00:08   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

rfm2 wrote:
The manual indicates that the parallax height is 15% of the viewport width. In my test album on a 1600px x 900px monitor the parallax theme image at 15% is 300px, but it seems like it should be 240px. Am I misunderstanding the application of the 15%?

The manual isn't quite correct - the minimum parallax theme image height is 15% of the viewport width. Because of the weird CSS that's going on, including CSS perspective and 3-d transforms, there's really no way to say exactly how high the image will be. It will be different on different monitors. On top of that, it's a background image that's set to cover the space. Very messy - it's a bit of a miracle that it works at all. ;)

Also, when scrolling with no theme image or a fixed (200 px) theme image, the Top of Page icon appears well before the top of the thumbnail body reaches the top of the screen. With a parallax theme image, scrolling dips well into the thumbnail body before the Top of Page icon appears. Is that just a natural characteristic of the parallax theme image?

I think it's just that I'm using a fixed value in the script that handles the TofP icon, but the page layout is highly variable. I'll need to tinker a bit, though without getting overly complicated, it won't be able to handle a mix, i.e., a big parallax theme image on some pages, but no theme (i.e., just a colored banner) on other pages. I'd rather not start passing variables into the script on every page. But the intent is not to have it show up at a precise moment - it's more of an "it's there roughly when it's convenient to get back to the title bar navigation links" thing.

I know, I know - if I want it to be no more than the 200px fixed theme height why not just go with the fixed, but the parallax approach has an interesting aesthetic that I would like to use.

I wondered about the proper "low end" value for the parallax theme image when I created Pluto (the parallax routine in Mars and Venus is pretty much just copied from Pluto). I settled on letting it go as far down as it still worked (below 15%, bad things start happening), but as a practical matter, it should probably bottom out at something like 30%. Less than that, and it may not be worth the effort - the effect tends to get lost.
rfm2

Posted: 29-Feb-2020 00:24   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks for the very quick, very detailed answer. I wasn't (and am not) fishing for a change to let the parallax theme image be less than the typical 300 that I happen to see on my older monitor with my older Win 7 box. I haven't even tried it yet on my Win 10 notebook. I did understand that the 15% is just the minimum height, and I have experimented with it all the way up to the max.The setup now is quite good without any tinkering, so don't spend any time on that. I was just trying to be sure I understood whether it was behaving as it should and/or as designed rather than missing something in the potential controls. The difference between the 300px height and the 240 that it seemed to me it should be is totally insignificant. I have already changed one of my posted Venus albums to the parallax theme image, and it works just great.

Thanks.
jGromit

Posted: 29-Feb-2020 15:39   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

The next releases of most of my skins will include a revised threshold for the appearance of the "top of page" icon when using either a fixed-height theme image, or no theme image (the threshold was OK for a parallax theme image). It was showing up a little too early.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums