Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 17 Jun 20, 20:03 Last Post By: ctwist Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
ctwist

End of ExhibitPlus Support
Posted: 26 Feb 20, 05:02
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Many years ago, ExhibitPlus (E+) was one of the two most popular jAlbum skins. As a result of the untimely death of E+'s creator Mark Fyvie and the introduction of advanced skin programming techniques, E+'s use has waned. I didn't want Mark's work to be abandoned, so four year ago I took on the task of fixing bugs, but this was always intended as a temporary measure. E+ works very well with jAlbum 19.3, and I am unaware of any outstanding problems. I have fixed 44 bugs (wow, I had no idea until I counted them!) and added 6 enhancements, but I will not spend any effort on future development. If you are happy with E+, keep using it; it is stable and it will not suddenly stop working.

I have decided to stop supporting E+ on 1 May 2020. If you know of any bugs, report them now; attach them to this thread.

However, there is one final task. E+ saved titles and comments in proprietary files. These are ignored by other skins. If you want to migrate your E+ albums to another skin, you would have to re-enter all of these. To fix this:
  • I have changed ExhibitPlus 1.10 to use standard jAlbum titles and comments. It also fixes 5 bugs.
  • I have upgraded the SettingsConverter tool to support E+. This converts titles and comments to jAlbum standards, so that you can make your albums in any current skin without loss of important data. You must run this for each of your E+ albums after installing E+ 1.10.
ctwist

Re: End of ExhibitPlus Support
Posted: 20 Apr 20, 01:16   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist
ExhibitPlus 1.11 is published https://jalbum.net/en/skins/skin/ExhibitPlus. This contains 6 minor enhancements.

This is the final version of E+. No more changes will be made.
ctwist

ExhibitPlus Epilogue
Posted: 4 May 20, 18:06   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist
Support for ExhibitPlus has ended.

During the 4+ years that I supported it, I achieved these objectives:
  • Fix all the outstanding bugs that had been reported in the E+ forum.
  • Fix all newly reported bugs.
  • Drop support for obsolete web browser versions.
  • Replace deprecated jAlbum and Java features.
  • Maintain compatibility with new jAlbum releases.
  • Make minor enhancements to fix features that I considered to be annoying.
  • Make it easier to migrate E+ albums to other skins.
  • Keep the documentation up-to-date.
I did not convert to HTML5 and CSS3; I ran out of enthusiasm.

The releases since version 1.5.2 include:
  • 42 bug fixes (not including bugs that I caused)
  • 14 enhancements (most of them minor)
  • A tool to assist migration to other skins
E+ still works well; you will probably be able to continue using it for a few years.
razzle

Re: ExhibitPlus Epilogue
Posted: 6 May 20, 00:33   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist
Hi Chris,

While I don't use the ExhibitPlus skin I certainly want to acknowledge and thank you and others for the work you put in to provide these skins for we users. When I first started using jAlbum some 15 years or so ago the first skin I used was your BluPlusPlus. While I no longer use your skin I would very much like to thank you for your efforts over the years.

Kind Regards,

Bob
ctwist

Re: End of ExhibitPlus Support
Posted: 17 Jun 20, 15:59   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist
Yes, I know I said that I had finished with E+, but I introduced a bug in version 1.7.3 which causes an exception in jAlbum 10.1 and earlier. Since I claimed that such versions were supported, I decided to fix it.

If you are using a more recent version of jAlbum, ignore this message. The latest version of E+ for you is 1.11.

I have uploaded a fixed version 1.9.3, download it at https://jalbum.net/en/skins/skin/ExhibitPlus; click "Show all".

A consequence of this bug and its fix is that multi-page indexes are not allowed in this version for jAlbum 10.1 and earlier; the "rows" setting is automatically set to 0. It would have been too difficult to fix this.

Now I really have finished with E+.

Edited by: ctwist on 17-Jun-2020 14:00
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums