This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 16-Feb-2020 10:48 Last Post By: Ranitomeya Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Ranitomeya

Build album dialog
Posted: 20-Jan-2020 21:31

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment jAlbum.tiff (30.0 KB)
Hi, maybe someone around here can open my eyes. I have been having this problem for years now, throughout different jAlbum versions, so I don't think it's a bug. It's a small thing, and I love jAlbum no matter what, but there must be a simple explanation.

When building an album, the dialog that pops up shows three buttons: Preview, Open folder, Upload (or whatever these are called in English; I use Swedish). Preview is preselected, and accordingly the preview is opened as soon as the album has been built. My problem is that I cannot change this behavior. The other two buttons seem to be disabled, and I cannot find anything related to this in the preferences. How can the other buttons be enabled, or the default be changed? If anyone knows, I'd be happy to hear.

Thanks in advance,
Frank
jGromit

Re: Build album dialog
Posted: 20-Jan-2020 22:06   in response to: Ranitomeya in response to: Ranitomeya
Helpful
The other two buttons are not disabled. When the album build is finished, you can click on either one of them.

ETA: BTW, if you tell jAlbum to close dialog boxes when they're finished, you'll never be able to get to those other two buttons. They're available only when the build is done, but if the dialog box closes when the build is done.... Take a look at Tools, Preferences, General, Close progress dialogs when done.
RobM

Posted: 20-Jan-2020 22:46   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Helpful
jGromit wrote:
The other two buttons are not disabled. When the album build is finished, you can click on either one of them.

ETA: BTW, if you tell jAlbum to close dialog boxes when they're finished, you'll never be able to get to those other two buttons. They're available only when the build is done, but if the dialog box closes when the build is done.... Take a look at Tools, Preferences, General, Close progress dialogs when done.

Which can only be set with preview type set to 'External browser'
jGromit

Posted: 20-Jan-2020 23:23   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
Correct
RobM wrote:
Which can only be set with preview type set to 'External browser'

Ah, I hadn't noticed that! I always use an external browser for preview.

In that case, the original poster is correct - those two buttons are completely useless if you're using the integrated or windowed browser. You can't get to them until the album build is finished, but the dialog closes as soon as the build is finished, so you can't get to those choices.

So, revised advice: choose the external browser (it's a more reliable preview anyway), and don't let jAlbum close progress dialogs when they're finished. I think you'll be happier with that arrangement.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 21-Jan-2020 16:30   in response to: Ranitomeya in response to: Ranitomeya

Ranitomeya wrote:
When building an album, the dialog that pops up shows three buttons: Preview, Open folder, Upload (or whatever these are called in English; I use Swedish). Preview is preselected, and accordingly the preview is opened as soon as the album has been built. My problem is that I cannot change this behavior. The other two buttons seem to be disabled, and I cannot find anything related to this in the preferences. How can the other buttons be enabled, or the default be changed? If anyone knows, I'd be happy to hear.

jAlbum works best for opportunists. :-) When starting to use jAlbum in 2013 I decided to enable "Preferences > General > Preview > Type > Integrated". This feature is really great. Since making that decision I never wanted to preview any album in an external browser or in a separate window.
jGromit

Posted: 21-Jan-2020 16:40   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

karlmistelberger wrote:
When starting to use jAlbum in 2013 I decided to enable "Preferences > General > Preview > Type > Integrated". This feature is really great. Since making that decision I never wanted to preview any album in an external browser or in a separate window.

Fine, as long as the skin you're using doesn't stumble onto one of the things that the integrated browser doesn't support. Most notable, CSS perspective, needed by Mars, Pluto, and Venus skins for the parallax theme image. The other failures are less noticeable, or are almost never encountered in the wild.

Try this page in the integrated browser, then try it in a real browser: https://jgromit.jalbum.net/intBrowserBugs/
Ranitomeya

Posted: 16-Feb-2020 00:25   in response to: Ranitomeya in response to: Ranitomeya

Oh, I'm sorry for the late reaction to the helpful answers. I thought I was watching the thread, but obviously I forgot to turn it on.

So, in conclusion it is not possible to turn off the automatic preview after building the album and instead automatically launch the upload dialog? That was the purpose of the buttons and the major reason for asking, because I often just add a few photos and then upload, so in 95% of cases there is no need for a preview and in the remaining 5% I could just as well launch it manually.

Well, it's not a big deal, I can easily live with having to close the preview window.

Thanks again!
Frank
jGromit

Posted: 16-Feb-2020 00:31   in response to: Ranitomeya in response to: Ranitomeya

There's no way to launch the upload automatically. But if you switch to the external browser, and don't tell jAlbum to close progress dialogs when done, then when the album build is complete, you can click Upload.
RobM

Posted: 16-Feb-2020 00:48   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
There's no way to launch the upload automatically. But if you switch to the external browser, and don't tell jAlbum to close progress dialogs when done, then when the album build is complete, you can click Upload.
Not something I use but there is Menu/Tools/Server mode with upload, which when adding to a project triggers a make an upload.
Ranitomeya

Posted: 16-Feb-2020 10:48   in response to: Ranitomeya in response to: Ranitomeya

Thanks, this was altogether very helpful!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums