This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 83 - Pages: 6 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] - Last Post: 03-Feb-2020 01:44 Last Post By: jimberry Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
jimberry

Re: Wikipedia article on "jAlbum"
Posted: 20-Jan-2020 02:41   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Click to reply to this thread Reply
By the way, just in case you are interested in possible problems that might arise from moving "Jalbum" to "JAlbum"--
These are links to other Wikipedia pages that link to Jalbum page
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/Jalbum
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=JAlbum&redirect=no
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jalbum.net&redirect=no
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/Jalbum
jimberry

Posted: 20-Jan-2020 09:03   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Changes completed -
  • Replace occurrences of "Jalbum" with "jAlbum" in page (Title not yet replaced)
  • Intro - replace with
jAlbum consists of cross-platform photo website software for creating and uploading galleries from images and videos. jAlbum has built-in support for organizing and editing images, but with focus on flexible presentation. The resulting albums can be published on jalbum.net or on the user's own website. jAlbum software has been used to create over 32 million photo galleries, with over one million users. Majestic.com counts over 118 million backlinks to jalbum.net
  • Software - Remove references to "Flash" - Remove comparison with Picasa and iPhotos and insert
"There are dozens of album skins (themes) made for jAlbum. Some are free, but others require a third party license."
Replaced reference to a lifewire.com review which described jAlbum as "freeware" with a reference to TrustPilot reviews.
  • License -
New license model from version 13:
You can purchase
(1) A Standard license to use on any computer to produce non-commercial albums for display on your own website, with one year of free support and updates.
(2) A Pro license to use on any computer to produce commercial or non-commercial albums for display on your own website, with one year of free support and updates.
(3) An annual license with unlimited free upgrades for as long as you have an active paid account for 10GB (Premium account non-commercial) or 100GB (Power account - commercial) of storage space on jalbum.net.
  • Remove historic license models
  • Hosting service - revised webspace sizes

===============================================

Here is a list of proposed changes. If you have editing privileges, feel free to edit this post, or if you don't, make suggestions in a reply and someone else will edit this post

• Title - Replace "Jalbum" with "jAlbum"

• Software - Add "Some skins allow inclusion of a shopping cart"

===================================
Current Jalbum page on Wikipedia

Edited by: jimberry on 20-Jan-2020 16:24 (added current license model to Changes completed and removed from Proposed changes; added suggested new text for intro)

Edited by: jimberry on 20-Jan-2020 16:42 Moved "Software - Remove references to Flash" to "Changes completed"

Edited by: jimberry on 21-Jan-2020 04:09

Edited by: jimberry on 22-Jan-2020 13:12

Edited by: jimberry on 23-Jan-2020 05:18

jimberry

Posted: 20-Jan-2020 09:36   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Should the "Hosting Service" paragraph be deleted or rewritten?
RobM

Posted: 20-Jan-2020 10:47   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Maybe it could just be simplified to a description of the main features, bundled skins and hosting services. Reference links for those
https://jalbum.net/en/this-is-jalbum
https://jalbum.net/en/software/features
https://jalbum.net/en/skins/new

As I’m not a fan/user of Wikipedia, I’ll leave any decisions to those willing to make any edits.
jimberry

Posted: 20-Jan-2020 12:03   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

I thought that maybe what is now covered under licenses would be sufficient?
RobM

Posted: 20-Jan-2020 15:44   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

jimberry wrote:
I thought that maybe what is now covered under licenses would be sufficient?
That’s fine, I was only suggesting trimming the whole page to a description with a few links.
jimberry

Posted: 20-Jan-2020 21:25   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
Maybe it could just be simplified to a description of the main features, bundled skins and hosting services.
I have used your suggestion in todays post in Admin regarding skins and also removed comparison with Picasa and iPhotos.
I have also revised the hosting service webspace sizes.
davidekholm

Posted: 21-Jan-2020 17:25   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

We've been using the current license model since v13, see https://jalbum.net/blog/entry/fair-licenses
jimberry

Posted: 21-Jan-2020 22:20   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Thanks for that clarification David ;)
I have now updated that License section. Do you think the lines about versions 10 and 12 can now be deleted?

Are the stats in the introduction out of date (32m galleries and 700k users). Can you suggest a source for up-to-date stats? (the source for reference 2 no longer exists)
davidekholm

Posted: 21-Jan-2020 22:53   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

jimberry wrote:
Thanks for that clarification David ;)
I have now updated that License section. Do you think the lines about versions 10 and 12 can now be deleted?

Sure

Are the stats in the introduction out of date (32m galleries and 700k users). Can you suggest a source for up-to-date stats? (the source for reference 2 no longer exists)

We’re at about one million registered users, but most of them are old and free accounts. What’s more interesting is that around 2000 new galleries are being uploaded daily. Also, Majestic.com count nearly 120 million back links to jAlbum.net, most of them which coming from albums of course (not counting albums where the credit links have been switched off). I think that’s one of the coolest metrics :-)

Source: https://majestic.com/reports/site-explorer?q=jalbum.net&oq=jalbum.net&IndexDataSource=F
jGromit

Posted: 22-Jan-2020 00:04   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Also, Majestic.com count nearly 120 million back links to jAlbum.net, most of them which coming from albums of course....

That would explain why you've become famous, and have acquired riches beyond the dreams of avarice.
jimberry

Posted: 22-Jan-2020 05:52   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Thanks for the extra info, David. I have now updated that introduction. Can I reference a source for "32M galleries and 1m users"?

Also , the INFOBOX at the top right needs correcting.\
I think the Alexa rank is wrong and should be deleted.The "Revenue" line might need updating to current status.

And some of the references in the reference list may no longer be relevant or true :(
"jAlbum.net Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
"jAlbum forums". Majestic Site Explorer. Retrieved 2020-01-22.
"jAlbum - Free download and software reviews - CNET". Download.com. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
"jAlbum - The Free Java Web Photo Album Generator - Software Review". Graphicssoft.about.com. 2013-12-20. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
"Find Skins & Templates for Photo Albums". jAlbum. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
"Fair Licenses". jAlbum.net. Retrieved 2020-01-22.
davidekholm

Posted: 22-Jan-2020 16:59   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
Also, Majestic.com count nearly 120 million back links to jAlbum.net, most of them which coming from albums of course....

That would explain why you've become famous, and have acquired riches beyond the dreams of avarice.

Oh, I wouldn't mind if richness was in parity with those numbers. That's not the case, but we at least have a product that's a hell of a web page maker :-)
davidekholm

Posted: 22-Jan-2020 17:03   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry
Helpful
jimberry wrote:
Thanks for the extra info, David. I have now updated that introduction. Can I reference a source for "32M galleries and 1m users"?

Yes. Those are numbers from our database.

Also , the INFOBOX at the top right needs correcting.\
I think the Alexa rank is wrong and should be deleted.The "Revenue" line might need updating to current status.

Our turnaround last year was around €300.000. Yes, dump the Alexa ranking. Not very relevant to compare a (mostly) product/download site like jalbum.net with one-site image sharing services. They naturally have higher ranking as they collect all traffic under one name.

And some of the references in the reference list may no longer be relevant or true :(
"jAlbum.net Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
"jAlbum forums". Majestic Site Explorer. Retrieved 2020-01-22.
"jAlbum - Free download and software reviews - CNET". Download.com. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
"jAlbum - The Free Java Web Photo Album Generator - Software Review". Graphicssoft.about.com. 2013-12-20. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
"Find Skins & Templates for Photo Albums". jAlbum. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
"Fair Licenses". jAlbum.net. Retrieved 2020-01-22.

Yes, dump the old links.
jimberry

Posted: 22-Jan-2020 20:33   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Thanks again, David.

I have now removed the Alexa ranking in the "Infobox". Are you OK with the "Revenue - Donations / Advertising / Hosting subscriptions" line? Is there any further info you would like to see in that box?

I am not sure how to reference your database for referencing a source for 32m galleries and 1M users, but maybe that is not necessary.

In the Software section, there are two review references for the statement "jAlbum is credited as being extremely easy to use, flexible and versatile". The second one describes Jalbum as freeware, so I should remove that one. Is there another review that I can add to replace it?

Edited by: jimberry on 23-Jan-2020 17:51
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums