This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 15 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 28-Nov-2019 13:35 Last Post By: rfm2 Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
rfm2

Neptune - slide arrows off-image
Posted: 23-Nov-2019 19:32

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I try to check out all the updates for Neptune just to see how they look/work, and see if I would want to include some new feature in my albums. When I try the slide arrows off-image I see no change. I have checked the layout/slide option, cleared cache, and refreshed the test album loading, but the arrows are still on-image. What am I missing?
jGromit

Re: Neptune - slide arrows off-image
Posted: 23-Nov-2019 20:11   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

Attachment offImage.png (127.4 KB)
Attachment onImage.png (177.1 KB)
Hard to imagine what you're doing wrong. I just did a quick sanity test - see screenshots. Force a refresh with CTRL-F5.
jGromit

Posted: 23-Nov-2019 20:14   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

But I just checked this in Chrome, and I might withdraw these skin updates. The off-image arrows work, but the slide transition is very jerky. Smooth as silk in Firefox. Can't imagine why.
jGromit

Posted: 23-Nov-2019 20:37   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Yeah, unacceptable in Chrome. Please reinstall Neptune 24. I'll come back to this one, but since it was a CSS kludge, rather than a true modification to the Floatbox script, I don't have much hope of getting it to behave.
rfm2

Posted: 23-Nov-2019 21:08   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Attachment off-image2.jpg (362.8 KB)
Attachment off-image1.jpg (155.6 KB)
Thanks for looking into it, knowing that 99% of the time the problem is me. To add more info, Firefox is my default browser, so I was/am using Firefox. I have attached a screen shot on the settings page, and a shot of the results page. I did a "remake all" just to be sure the album was regenerated, and I did the F5 refresh after displaying. I tried it with both Neptune and Saturn and got the same problem. I haven't tried it in other browsers.
jGromit

Posted: 23-Nov-2019 21:23   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

Mystery solved. It's because of some of the custom CSS in your albums, the stuff you always include. There's one line of that in particular that would undo this change. It was colliding with the CSS changes for the off-image nav arrows.

Specifically, this:
.fbx a.fbPrev2,.fbx a.fbNext2{position:absolute;background-color:#000;opacity:.70;padding:10px}
Most of that is unnecessary. the position, background-color, and padding are the default values, so there's no need to specify them again. But two of those are precisely the things that this modification needed to change (to a fixed position, and no background). The opacity change is OK.

Doesn't matter now, in any event.
jGromit

Posted: 23-Nov-2019 21:29   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

So, you see, you were the problem.

But it did send me off to do some checking, which led me to the other, more serious issue.
rfm2

Posted: 23-Nov-2019 21:37   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Now wait a minute - I'll take partial blame, but surely I can push some of the blame off onto the developer for allowing a user's legitimate UI CSS mod to conflict with his desire to kludge the program just to satisfy his desire for some weird feature that almost no one will use :-)
jGromit

Posted: 23-Nov-2019 22:20   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

Touché. Bad developer!

I kind of liked the option. It's more common to see prev/next arrows on the edges of the viewport, rather than appearing on the image itself. Here's a little demo so you can see what it's supposed to look like.

https://jgromit.com/neptune/folders/greatsanddunes/

The Chrome problem is very intermittent, so I'm still head-scratching over it. And it doesn't work in Edge at all (but I know how to work around that one).

Edited by: jGromit on 28-Nov-2019 07:35 - temp demo replaced
rfm2

Posted: 23-Nov-2019 23:30   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Attachment off-image3.jpg (742.3 KB)
I deleted all of the entries in the string except the opacity, and the album behaved as you expected. If the majority of the photos in an album are landscape (and particularly 16:9), as are the first few in your sample album, the slide arrows on the view port edge make sense. But when the photos are portrait (as in the attached) the slide arrows are almost unnoticeable. I'll spot you that if viewing an album that starts with a wide landscape photo the viewer would tend to keep the cursor on the view port edge, so even the portrait photos would probably not be a distraction. Just a matter of preference and getting used to seeing the arrows on- or off-image.
jGromit

Posted: 23-Nov-2019 23:42   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

rfm2 wrote:
I'll spot you that if viewing an album that starts with a wide landscape photo the viewer would tend to keep the cursor on the view port edge....

That's the plus side of stashing the arrow over there. A visitor can just mouse on it and keep clicking in the same place. Of course, one can do the same thing by planting the mouse to the right of the center line of the image and keep clicking. I had just noticed that on a lot of lightbox pages, the nav arrows were positioned like that, and thought I might offer that option.

The Chrome misbehavior might be limited to local preview when using the jAlbum built-in web server, but I'll have to do more experimenting to see....

I'm always trying to keep things from interfering with the display of the images. In other skins, I'm often bothered by things like a control bar that ends up being superimposed on the image.

(On a related note, I absolutely hate the popup status bars in virtually all browsers when you hover on a link - it's like an annoying jack-in-the-box.)
rfm2

Posted: 24-Nov-2019 00:12   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I was in the process of writing another note when I saw your latest. When I looked again at my album with the arrows on the edges it dawned on me that clicking the right/left image sides still did the advance/return that I preferred, so the arrows on the edges was not a distraction for me. In fact, having the arrows on the sides so they don't block any of the image has its advantages. Maybe the developer knew what he was doing all along.
jGromit

Posted: 24-Nov-2019 00:16   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

rfm2 wrote:
Maybe the developer knew what he was doing all along.

Nah. He's a hack.

ETA: Or so I've heard.
rfm2

Posted: 24-Nov-2019 18:34   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Is this version 25 of Neptune that you posted today the same as the one previously posted and retracted, or has some change been made that impacts the UI CSS conflict that I have been using?
jGromit

Posted: 24-Nov-2019 19:01   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

Slightly modified, to cure the MS Edge problem. And I think David has cured the Chrome preview issue.

Your custom CSS should be fine, as long as you restrict it to the opacity setting change. Stay away from position, background-color, and padding - those will clash with the off-image nav arrows. And they're not needed for your albums, anyway, regardless of where you put the nav arrows.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums