This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 13 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 15-Oct-2019 14:41 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
GerardvanHerk

Album Freezes on macOS Catalina
Posted: 12-Oct-2019 15:39

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I updated my iMac to Catalina and Jalbum to version 19.0
I use Photoblogger 2.6.0 for my site.

Every time I make a change in the photoblogger settings and click on make album the program freezes. All I can do then is to force quit the program in macOS.

What may cause this behaviour?

Edited by: GerardvanHerk on 12-Oct-2019 15:40
jGromit

Re: Album Freezes on macOS Catalina
Posted: 12-Oct-2019 16:32   in response to: GerardvanHerk in response to: GerardvanHerk

My Macbook just updated itself to Catalina, and I've got jAlbum 19.0.3 and Photoblogger 2.6.0, and it works OK, so at least we know that there's no fundamental problem with the OS vs. jAlbum vs. Photoblogger.

First, try a little test album using another skin - something simple, like Minimal. If that works, try the same little test album with Photoblogger. We need to narrow down the possible causes.
davidekholm

Posted: 12-Oct-2019 20:59   in response to: GerardvanHerk in response to: GerardvanHerk

Ensure that Preferences->Advanced has "Use watchdog" checked. That should generate a file that tells what jAlbum is up to if the UI has been frozen for more than 20s (unless we're talking about a really deep crash)

Also try running jAlbum from the Terminal app. Here's the command line. Execute it and see if any error message is printed when it hangs:
/Applications/jAlbum.app/Contents/PlugIns/jdk11.0.2.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/bin/java -Xmx800M -jar /Applications/jAlbum.app/Contents/Java/JAlbum.jar 

FYI: I'm developing jAlbum on OS X Catalina and I haven't encountered any errors. I naturally trust what you experience, but just wanted to let you know that we've tested jAlbum ok on OS X Catalina
RobM

Posted: 13-Oct-2019 01:00   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Attachment jAlbum OSX 15.png (77.3 KB)
davidekholm wrote:
Also try running jAlbum from the Terminal app. Here's the command line. Execute it and see if any error message is printed when it hangs:
/Applications/jAlbum.app/Contents/PlugIns/jdk11.0.2.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/bin/java -Xmx800M -jar /Applications/jAlbum.app/Contents/Java/JAlbum.jar 
I've just updated my Mac to 10.15 and I can't even get jAlbum to start, see attached message. I can however run the beta of jAlbum 19.B1.
RobM

Posted: 13-Oct-2019 01:08   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
I've just updated my Mac to 10.15 and I can't even get jAlbum to start, see attached message. I can however run the beta of jAlbum 19.B1.
Well, that was new to me! Now have jAlbum running, after a trip to System settings/Security/General and 'Open jAlbum' from there. Using the Sample portfolio with Photoblogger 2.6 and no problems building the album.
ronvanrossum

Posted: 13-Oct-2019 10:33   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Attachment thread-dump.txt (42.8 KB)
I'm running Mojave (10.14.6) / jAlbum 19.0.3 and often I also have a frozen jAlbum (beachball). It happens during Make or Upload. Attached is a thread-dump of a frozen Make of an album with te new Lucid skin.
GerardvanHerk

Posted: 13-Oct-2019 10:57   in response to: ronvanrossum in response to: ronvanrossum

Attachment thread-dump.txt (38.2 KB)
Well none of the above helped.
I attached the dump file
davidekholm

Posted: 14-Oct-2019 13:18   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
davidekholm wrote:

We've noticed that Apple has tightened their security measures. We will work to address this, but for now you can right click jAlbum's icon and select "Run". This will allow you to open jAlbum anyway.
davidekholm

Posted: 14-Oct-2019 13:27   in response to: ronvanrossum in response to: ronvanrossum

@Ron and @Gerard, thank you for passing these thread dumps! It seems like it's the current spell checking implementation that causes jAlbum's UI to hang for you. I'll look into a fix for this ASAP, but please try disabling the spell checker under Preferences in the meantime and report if jAlbum is behaving fine now.

(This problem naturally didn't occur during testing, :-( )
GerardvanHerk

Posted: 14-Oct-2019 18:45   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Disabling the spelling check works for me. Thanks!
ronvanrossum

Posted: 15-Oct-2019 10:56   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Spellchecker disabled. No freezing application after several album updates.
davidekholm

Posted: 15-Oct-2019 14:27   in response to: ronvanrossum in response to: ronvanrossum

Great. Now please select Tools->External tools->"jAlbum core update" and get the latest update to jAlbum 19. This should fix the issue with the spell checker, but I can't verify it as I haven't been able to trigger this problem here. Please confirm if this update fixes the issue. If not, I appreciate yet another "thread-dump" file so I can nail the, hopefully, last code point that needs adjustment.
GerardvanHerk

Posted: 15-Oct-2019 14:40   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Did the core update and enabled spell check.

Everything works just fine.
I can do changes and make the album over and over again with no problems.
davidekholm

Posted: 15-Oct-2019 14:41   in response to: GerardvanHerk in response to: GerardvanHerk

Great! Thanks for confirming this. Should you get any more UI hangings, please pass an updated "thread-dump.txt" file. I've hopefully addressed the error fully, but it's hard to promise when I can't reproduce it.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums