This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 10 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 05-Oct-2019 13:54 Last Post By: MarkusD Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
AndreWolff

Proposals to make jAlbum installation more user friendly
Posted: 01-Oct-2019 10:12

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment No_UTF-8.PNG (36.5 KB)
If you update jAlbum, I assume the installation procedure searches first the program directory of the old installation.

In my case that is directory D:\Program Files\jAlbum

Nevertheless jAlbum tries to install each new version in C:\Program Files\jAlbum so each time I have to change that.

Please change that so that for jAlbum updates the old directory is proposed as installation directory.

On my task tool-bar I have always a link to the jAlbum program, but after each installation this link is no longer working, so I have manually to remove the link and make a new link. Is it possible to prevent that?

After each new installation I have to add add -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 to the Virtual Machine parameters in the ini-file to get my name correctly spelled, see screen-shot and this thread

I am using this modified ini-file already two years without problems, sop I think you can add this to the default ini-file.
davidekholm

Re: Proposals to make jAlbum installation more user friendly
Posted: 01-Oct-2019 11:04   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Can you tell me why you don't want to use the standard location? Like with many of your requests, this request is unheard of before.

On the encoding issue: You know my comment on this, right? Try to convince the Metadata-extractor developer Drew Noakes to add some kind of context parameter so stuff like this can be specified and not assumed to be platform's encoding. I'm fully with you on such a request. I have filed such a request many years ago. Changing the default file encoding may work for you, with your setup, but is likely to cause problems for others. I've explained that earlier too.
AndreWolff

Posted: 01-Oct-2019 13:14   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Can you tell me why you don't want to use the standard location?
The C drive is a ssd with not sufficient capacity for all programs.
Like with many of your requests, this request is unheard of before.
May be others don’t take the time to report it to you and indeed I have sometimes the idea that I can use my time in a better way!

Changing the default file encoding may work for you, with your setup, but is likely to cause problems for others. I've explained that earlier too.
Tell me what those problems are so that I can check that.
RobM

Posted: 01-Oct-2019 14:26   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
They are documented in the forums, just search using the appropriate term
AndreWolff

Posted: 01-Oct-2019 17:22   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
AndreWolff wrote:
Apparently you nor me know the 'appropriate term'!
jGromit

Posted: 01-Oct-2019 17:26   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
On my task tool-bar I have always a link to the jAlbum program, but after each installation this link is no longer working, so I have manually to remove the link and make a new link. Is it possible to prevent that?

That's normal Windows behavior when an application does a complete uninstall before installing the new version, rather trying to update the program files selectively. LibreOffice does exactly the same thing. Just drag the new desktop icon to the task bar - hardly a burden.
RobM

Posted: 01-Oct-2019 20:18   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
RobM wrote:
AndreWolff wrote:
Apparently you nor me know the 'appropriate term'!
Of course I know the term to search with - it is in your posts above -, the forum post at the top of the results list is the one you want, the post about jAlbum mutilating Lightroom comments. That thread is one of your posts too.
AndreWolff

Posted: 01-Oct-2019 20:31   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
Of course I know the term to search with - it is in your posts above -, the forum post at the top of the results list is the one you want, the post about jAlbum mutilating Lightroom comments. That thread is one of your posts too.
Of coarse I did read that thread again, but nowhere is indicated what the real problem is if you add -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 to the Virtual Machine parameters.
RobM

Posted: 01-Oct-2019 20:35   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
RobM wrote:
Of coarse I did read that thread again, but nowhere is indicated what the real problem is if you add -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 to the Virtual Machine parameters.
Read it again.
AndreWolff

Posted: 02-Oct-2019 08:35   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
That's normal Windows behavior when an application does a complete uninstall before installing the new version, rather trying to update the program files selectively. LibreOffice does exactly the same thing. Just drag the new desktop icon to the task bar - hardly a burden.
I agree, the first two points are more important.
MarkusD

Posted: 05-Oct-2019 13:54   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
If you update jAlbum, I assume the installation procedure searches first the program directory of the old installation.

In my case that is directory D:\Program Files\jAlbum

Nevertheless jAlbum tries to install each new version in C:\Program Files\jAlbum so each time I have to change that.

Please change that so that for jAlbum updates the old directory is proposed as installation directory.

I can confirm that the icon on the Windows taskbar does not start jAlbum after I installed a new version. So I delete the old icon and pin the new one after the new version started. Annoying, yes, but not really a big problem. And by the way, this occurs although I use the default install folder.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums