This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 16-Jul-2020 00:02 Last Post By: jGromit
jGromit

Wrong path to video
Posted: 29-Jul-2019 16:07

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Coming from this thread: https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=55362

Try this simple test. Use Minimal, and add just a single video, like mydog.wmv.

• Choose Link to scaled-down images only and Copy originals if needed. Path to video is mydog.mp4. Correct.
  • Choose Link to originals via scaled-down images and Copy originals if needed. Path to video is mydog.mp4. Correct.
  • Choose Link to scaled-down images only but not Copy originals if needed. Path to video is mydog.mp4. Correct.
  • Choose Link to originals via scaled-down images but not Copy originals if needed. Path to video is ../../../../Documents/Temp%20Albums/projectName/mydog.wmv. Not even close.

The link to the video should be exactly the same in each of the above cases. The page should always be using the slides/mydog.mp4 video.

ETA: It handles JPG's properly - it's only videos that trigger this misbehavior.
davidekholm

Re: Wrong path to video
Posted: 06-Sep-2019 14:40   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Oh, this touches the messiest part of jAlbum's code :-(. Shouldn't the correct behavior be that videoPath always points to the processed video while originalPath points to the unprocessed video using whatever path that may have? That would allow a skin developer to include both a processed and unprocessed version of a video.
jGromit

Posted: 06-Sep-2019 14:45   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

I've been saying this, in one form or another, for years. The latest summary:

https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=55379

Short version: video "linking" options should mirror those for images.
davidekholm

Posted: 06-Sep-2019 18:52   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
I've been saying this, in one form or another, for years. The latest summary:

https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=55379

Short version: video "linking" options should mirror those for images.

Isn't that shooting over the target? I mean, you can already make flexible special treatment of videos by using the "Use original" and "Do not re-encode" context menu options, wouldn't you say?

I could probably adjust so all those 4 options you gave points to the processed video, but shouldn't "originalPath" actually always point to the original?
jGromit

Posted: 06-Sep-2019 19:51   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Mull it over for a while. I think that until you finally make video handling completely parallel to image handling, but separately controllable, we're going to keep running into these kinds of problems.

Say I want jAlbum to process the video, but also to include the full-sized original for download. How can I do that?

Say I want jAlbum to use my 400 carefully-prepared, properly sized JPG's without any scaling, but I still want it to process the 6 humongous videos in the album. How can I do that?

Say I want jAlbum to regenerate all my scaled JPG's, but I don't want it to drive my PC into overheating by reprocessing the dozens of videos in the album. How can I do that?

What I've proposed isn't radical, and doesn't break anything that can't be easily addressed. But it would finally, once and for all, result in images and videos being handled the same way, with linking options that are the same for each, and with files landing in the same locations for each.
davidekholm

Posted: 06-Sep-2019 21:25   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:

What I've proposed isn't radical, and doesn't break anything that can't be easily addressed. But it would finally, once and for all, result in images and videos being handled the same way, with linking options that are the same for each, and with files landing in the same locations for each.

Hmm. I think today's linking options are already confusing for many users. It's the focus on "linking" I think confuses people. What if we instead simply provide checkboxes for the various kinds of images and videos the album shoud include? Older skins will have those checkboxes somewhat limited/grayed-out
jGromit

Posted: 06-Sep-2019 21:29   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
What if we instead simply provide checkboxes for the various kinds of images and videos the album shoud include? Older skins will have those checkboxes somewhat limited/grayed-out

Take a look at the screenshot in my other post. That's exactly what I'm proposing. It gets rid of the "linking" terminology completely, replacing it with much more understandable "what to use in the album" choices.
jGromit

Posted: 16-Jul-2020 00:02   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

This bug is clearly never going to be fixed. I will delete this thread on Aug. 15, 2020.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums