This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 38 - Pages: 3 [ 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: 09-May-2019 08:52 Last Post By: Laza Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
webmom24

Why is this happening - my formatting is all messed up?
Posted: 05-May-2019 00:25

Click to reply to this thread Reply
See my album at https://2ndchanceanimalcenter.org/cats/ and then compare it to the one at https://2ndchanceanimalcenter.org/dogs/. The "dogs" page is formatted correctly (at least last I checked) but the "cats" page is all screwed up - the captions are cutting off, it's the wrong font, the photos are being forced into a rectangle shape, regardless of the original proportions... I don't get why this keeps happening and frankly do not even know which settings need to be changed to fix this. Even importing the settings from the "dog" album does not correct the problem and in fact when making no changes at all to the dog album, it now will format the same exact way as the funky cat album... so frustrated right now... please help.
RobM

Re: Why is this happening - my formatting is all messed up?
Posted: 05-May-2019 12:03   in response to: webmom24 in response to: webmom24

Try opening the ‘Dogs’ project then going to Menu/File and then select ‘Save as default’ and ‘Save as skin default’. Now create a small test project using the same skin and it should look like the Dogs album.

Edited by: RobM on 05-May-2019 11:04
Sorry , open the Dogs project, not the Cats
jGromit

Posted: 05-May-2019 15:00   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

The problem goes deeper than that. The "good" album was made with Photoblogger 1.9.7. But when updating to Photoblogger 2.x, many of the settings change. Just one quick example: under Photoblogger > Main Content > Images, the Thumbnail content needs to be changed to Cards (Vertical), and for the Caption template, you need to choose Title + Comment. The list goes on, I'm afraid.

It won't be fun, but you'll need to start with a test album and work out the settings you want in the new version of Photoblogger, then follow RobM's suggestion about saving it as the skin default.

ETA: In fact, while the page indicates that it was created with 1.9.7, the only available project file, included in the lifeboat.zip file, is from 1.2.1.

Version 2.x has so many changes, it's virtually a new skin, so it's "start over" time when it comes to the settings. And going forward, make sure you always generate the lifeboat file - see Tools > Preferences > Album > Include lifeboat file - and always upload it along with the album.
jGromit

Posted: 05-May-2019 15:02   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

One more hunch.... This user has, in the past, had problems with default skin settings reappearing, and overriding the saved project settings. So, the advice is to load the project, then count to ten before doing anything. Don't try to change any settings. Don't try to make the album. Just give it a few seconds to load the project fully.
webmom24

Posted: 05-May-2019 19:55   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks for your replies... And... this is exactly what I was afraid of. I don't know if I have the ability to deal with this and really have no idea where to even begin (besides what you mentioned). I shouldn't have updated the skin I guess... At one point I had written down all the settings I changed but this is with the skin I used previously so even if I found that it wouldn't be helpful.

I appreciate the help... I am just beyond depressed :( and it's just one more reason that as soon as humanly possible I will be moving this client to the WordPress platform with an appropriate plugin.

M
RobM

Posted: 05-May-2019 20:16   in response to: webmom24 in response to: webmom24

The easiest way forward might be to revert to version 1.9.7 of Photoblogger and then rebuild the album, importing the settings again if needed.
RobM

Posted: 05-May-2019 20:17   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
The easiest way forward might be to revert to version 1.9.7 of Photoblogger and then rebuild the album, importing the settings again if needed.
Or Photoblogger 1.2.1, if that was the last version you used for the album.
webmom24

Posted: 06-May-2019 02:02   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

I've tried both older versions and end up with essentially the same result. I am at a loss.
Laza

Posted: 06-May-2019 08:40   in response to: webmom24 in response to: webmom24

I don't see why don't you use the same vertical layout as in Dogs? That would fix all your issues, I think. Settings / Photoblogger / Main content / Images / Thumbnail layout = Cards.
webmom24

Posted: 06-May-2019 11:41   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

I have tried to do that but my captions are all messed up - I'm getting the title and the captions repeating - it's hard to explain and I don't really want to upload the "mess" I'm seeing now. Also my title is all in caps now when it wasn't before and I can't figure out how to put it back to sentence case.
jGromit

Posted: 06-May-2019 12:55   in response to: webmom24 in response to: webmom24

Please upload the "broken" album to a temporary directory somewhere - no reason to override the existing website. These really don't sound like huge problems, and can probably be fixed with just a few settings. But we need to see what's happening.

And be sure to include the lifeboat.zip file, as I mentioned earlier - that makes debugging infinitely easier, since we don't have to keep asking, "How did you set up this or that?"
jGromit

Posted: 06-May-2019 16:20   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Over coffee, I created a test project with the latest version of Photoblogger, and tried to make it look like your "dogs" page. Just using some dummy titles and comments, and some stock images, of course. I did have to do a little custom CSS to overcome a few Photoblogger defaults, but not a big deal.

The result:

http://jgromit.jalbum.net/pettest/

ETA: To copy the settings into a new test project on your own PC, choose File > Import > Settings from Published Album, and copy and paste the URL above.
webmom24

Posted: 07-May-2019 12:13   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I will see if I can do this in a few minutes to our staging area and provide a URL.

M
webmom24

Posted: 07-May-2019 12:14   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thank you so much... I'll grab this as well but I am very curious to know what is happening with the other "broken" album so will still upload it.

M
webmom24

Posted: 07-May-2019 12:28   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Here is a link to the broken album... which unfortunately I just overwrote the "real" homepage for this testing site but that is easy enough to fix later (ugh still asleep I guess). https://2ndchanceanimalcenter.org/Staging/. The one thing though is I know in previous versions of Jalbum, there was a checkbox to include the "lifeboat.zip" file but I don't see that in this version. It is supposed to be included per the preferences - in other words isn't checked to not create one so I'm not sure what I need to do to upload it.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums