This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 13 May 19, 09:23 Last Post By: ufalbum Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
ufalbum

Organization of the project list
Posted: 23 Apr 19, 15:51

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi,
I didn't found a way to organize the project list. Is there a way to do that?
If you have a lot of projects and you have only the possibilty to sort them alphabetically this gets confusing.. If there was a way to organize the projects into self-defined groups, e.g. family, hobbies, holidays etc, that would be very helpful. Have I overlooked something? The new project gallery doesn't solve the problem.

Regards
Ulli
jAlbum fan!
JeffTucker

Re: Organization of the project list
Posted: 23 Apr 19, 15:59   in response to: ufalbum in response to: ufalbum

Alphabetical, or by "most recent." Those are the only two choices.

You could organize the projects into folders on your PC (family, hobbies, etc.), then use File, Open, and navigate to the folder you're looking for.

If you have that many projects, the list on the left is probably never going to be a good way to find them.
RobM

Posted: 23 Apr 19, 16:42   in response to: ufalbum in response to: ufalbum

There are some alternative working methods that might help get round the problem.

One way is to save (or make links to) the settings files in folders named by theme, e.g a folder named home for your home projects. Then instead of using the recent projects list double click on the settings file/link to open the project.

Another way, but not for the faint hearted, is to keep multiple sets of recent projects, e.g a set named ‘Home’ that has only your ‘Home’ projects listed. This is something I do using my Config manager tool.
ufalbum

Posted: 26 Apr 19, 14:36   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Thank you. I understand that it is not so easy to implement my proposal.

Regards
Ulli
karlmistelberger

Posted: 8 May 19, 13:54   in response to: ufalbum in response to: ufalbum

ufalbum wrote:
I didn't found a way to organize the project list. Is there a way to do that?
If you have a lot of projects and you have only the possibilty to sort them alphabetically this gets confusing.. If there was a way to organize the projects into self-defined groups, e.g. family, hobbies, holidays etc, that would be very helpful.

Use the file system to organize your projects:

• Create a hierarchy of folders "family", "hobbies", ...
  • Create links to your project files in the above directories, e.g.:
karl@erlangen:~> ll /home/karl/Schreibtisch/Albums/ 
insgesamt 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 karl users 39  5. Aug 2017  Bilder.jap -> /home/Albums/Bilder/jalbum-settings.jap
lrwxrwxrwx 1 karl users 47 21. Sep 2017  DemHimmelSoNah.jap -> /home/Albums/DemHimmelSoNah/jalbum-settings.jap
lrwxrwxrwx 1 karl users 43  4. Aug 2017  NeueBilder.jap -> /home/Albums/NeueBilder/jalbum-settings.jap
lrwxrwxrwx 1 karl users 51 28. Sep 2017  Österreichistbunt.jap -> /home/Albums/Österreichistbunt/jalbum-settings.jap
lrwxrwxrwx 1 karl users 49 16. Apr 2018  Sample Portfolio.jap -> /home/Albums/Sample Portfolio/jalbum-settings.jap
lrwxrwxrwx 1 karl users 43  4. Aug 2017  testjAlbum.jap -> /home/Albums/testjAlbum/jalbum-settings.jap
lrwxrwxrwx 1 karl users 38  5. Aug 2017  Tiger.jap -> /home/Albums/Tiger/jalbum-settings.jap
karl@erlangen:~> 

• Associate jAlbum with .jap files.
  • open a project by clicking its link
The above works reliably since several years.
ufalbum

Posted: 10 May 19, 21:11   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

Hi Karl,
thank you. As far I understand you, you mean to organize that outside jAlbum, i.e. in the file system of the OS. Inside jAlbum this is not possible. Right?

Regards
Ulli
karlmistelberger

Posted: 11 May 19, 09:01   in response to: ufalbum in response to: ufalbum

Attachment jalbum33.png (954.5 KB)
Attachment jalbum32.png (929.0 KB)
ufalbum wrote:
Hi Karl,
thank you. As far I understand you, you mean to organize that outside jAlbum, i.e. in the file system of the OS. Inside jAlbum this is not possible. Right?

Yes. jAlbum's project pane works nice for managing a single project.

http://jalbum.net/help/de/JAlbum/Explore#Projektliste

But its multi-project capabilities are pretty limited. Therefore I use it only on rare occasions.

I prefer the system's file manager for managing projects. Folder "Albums" sits in upper left corner of my desktop. Opening this folder and clicking one of its entries opens the pertaining project.

Most users I know prefer this method as they are familiar with it when opening a document. They just click the file and it will open in LibreOffice Writer, Kate or whatever is associated with the file type.

See screenshot jalbum32.png

With the file manager you can have subfolders, while the project pane has only a linear list. Links are created readily. Enter the name of the project, say Ulli.jap and the path to its storage, say /home/Albums/Ulli/jalbum-settings.jap and you're done.

See screenshot jalbum33.png
ufalbum

Posted: 13 May 19, 09:23   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

Thank you Karl,
that is it and so simple!
Regards
Ulli
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums