This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 20 - Pages: 2 [ Previous | 1 2 ] - Last Post: 23 Apr 19, 16:03 Last Post By: JeffTucker Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
ufalbum

Re: Folder Image for external links
Posted: 22 Apr 19, 18:38   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I run still Windows7,
I can drag the target URL from the adress field of the browser, but not the image path from file manager. May be the problem is caused because Windows uses backslashes as separator in the full path, As far as I know, MAC OS uses slashes like in Linux or the Web. Furthermore a file:// has to preceed the filename. If I copy such a full qualified path into the image URL field and hit Upadate, it works.
I will make further investigations.
RobM

Posted: 22 Apr 19, 19:03   in response to: ufalbum in response to: ufalbum

ufalbum wrote:
I run still Windows7,
I can drag the target URL from the adress field of the browser, but not the image path from file manager. May be the problem is caused because Windows uses backslashes as separator in the full path, As far as I know, MAC OS uses slashes like in Linux or the Web. Furthermore a file:// has to preceed the filename. If I copy such a full qualified path into the image URL field and hit Upadate, it works.
I will make further investigations.
You can’t drag an image to the address field on Mac OS, only to the window that opens after clicking on the folder icon in edit mode
ufalbum

Posted: 22 Apr 19, 19:35   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Now I found out that if I drag a local image file from the file manager into the browser's address field the web (and MAC OS) compatible address including file:// is displayed. If I copy this URL into the clipboard and insert it in jAlbum's Image URL definition form and hit Update it works. Until now I didn't find a possibilty to use jAlbum's file selector without having to search the desired image in the directory structure. Drag and drop doesn't work.
ufalbum

Posted: 23 Apr 19, 07:57   in response to: ufalbum in response to: ufalbum

Now I know more. jAlbum's file selector browser which is invoked when searching the desired image URL starts with the local folder of the selected album where its jalbum-settings.jap resides. This may be awkward as jAlbum's file browser doesn't allow to search for a known folder within the local files, i.e. it doesn't offer a search like the windows file explorer does.

In the meanwhile I found a simple freeware tool CopyPathMenu which adds an additional entry COPY PATH in the file context menu of the windows file explorer which may be configured to copy the URI of the file instead of the windows like representation into the clipboard. If I paste that into the URI field of the IMAGE URL and hit UPDATE it works.

Of course it would be even better if jalbum could handle both representations - depending on the operating system used.

Regards
Ulli
ufalbum

Posted: 23 Apr 19, 15:26   in response to: ufalbum in response to: ufalbum

Album's file selector browser which is invoked when searching the desired image URL starts with the local folder of the selected album where its jalbum-settings.jap resides.

This is not true. if the TARGET URL is selected and updated, jAlbum selects automatically the folderimage.jpg of the selected online album. As soon as you hit the file selector, to change this online image to a local image, the search begins from the very beginnng of the structure on your local PC, each time. This is annoying. Furthermode the folderimage.jpg which is normally a wide image with low height, e.g. 5:1 ratio is displayed as an almost sqaure image, i.e. you see only the middle of this image.

As a workaround I recommend to use the tool CopyPathMenu I found. Result see https://webalben.rezkonv.de/albums/s21-recent/album/
which consist only of web location pages and locally selected images.
Regards
Ulli
JeffTucker

Posted: 23 Apr 19, 16:03   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
In Windows, it doesn't, for reasons unknown. It's been on my "small but annoying bugs" list for a long time.

In spite of all the long, overly-complicated analysis of this problem, I suspect the solution is simply a question of changing the jAlbum core so that it uses the correct Java file chooser, one that can be told where to start the search (maybe just Pictures, for example), and that remembers the location of the most recent choice.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums