This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 23 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 02-Apr-2019 18:35 Last Post By: JohnnyBalubas Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
JohnnyBalubas

Pdf’s not working on iPad/iPhone
Posted: 31-Mar-2019 20:04

Click to reply to this thread Reply
The latest update with built-in pdf viewer doesn’t seem to be supported by ios. Nore iPad or iPhone is working. Also tried chrome instead of safari with the same result - a static pic of first page of the pdf.
On pc it works as it should.
Am I missing something?

Now I have tried on a samsung android device and i’ts the same problem with that too.

Edited by: JohnnyBalubas on 31-Mar-2019 22:07
jGromit

Re: Pdf’s not working on iPad/iPhone
Posted: 31-Mar-2019 22:11   in response to: JohnnyBalubas in response to: JohnnyBalubas

JohnnyBalubas wrote:
Now I have tried on a samsung android device and i’ts the same problem with that too.

I don't have an iOS device to test with, but it's no surprise that it doesn't work on my Galaxy S7. There is no PDF viewer in any browser on an Android phone. All the phone can do is download the PDF, then try to open it in some other viewer - there isn't a "standard" app with which to view PDF's. On my phone, PDF's open in the Kindle app!

Try some other sites that cough up PDF's, like maybe statements from your bank or a utility, and I think you'll find the same problem.

Not much a skin can do about that.
RobM

Posted: 31-Mar-2019 22:45   in response to: JohnnyBalubas in response to: JohnnyBalubas

If you can give a link I can try it on my iPad
Laza

Posted: 01-Apr-2019 07:16   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

In theory it should fall back to Google's online PDF viewer service (embedded through an IFRAME), so it might work on iOS devices too.
JohnnyBalubas

Posted: 01-Apr-2019 12:28   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Thats what I thought to.....but no.

Edited by: JohnnyBalubas on 01-Apr-2019 12:28
JohnnyBalubas

Posted: 01-Apr-2019 12:31   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I know that, jGromit, but since it was built in I thought it Would work with any browser.
Laza

Posted: 01-Apr-2019 14:11   in response to: JohnnyBalubas in response to: JohnnyBalubas

It seems the iPhone (and probably the other iOS devices) has a very simple PDF viewer built-in the browser. It's not a pic of the first page, it's the first page itself - but you can't change pages. I might add a direct link in the bottom panel for PDF's so users be able to open them with the native PDF viewer.
jGromit

Posted: 01-Apr-2019 14:25   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

It seems to be OK in Chrome on Android.

In Firefox on the desktop, it's a bit "hit or miss." If you go through the slideshow and land on a PDF, it displays OK. But if you start by clicking the thumbnail for the PDF, you often get an empty frame. Same "sometimes" behavior in Firefox on Android, so it's a browser thing.
RobM

Posted: 01-Apr-2019 14:32   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Anyone with an iOS device can see Safari supports PDFs by looking at https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1766/en_US/macbook_pro_late2016_essentials.pdf
Laza

Posted: 01-Apr-2019 16:13   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Seems to work on iPhone 5...
Laza

Posted: 01-Apr-2019 16:49   in response to: JohnnyBalubas in response to: JohnnyBalubas

JohnnyBalubas

Posted: 01-Apr-2019 17:48   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Yes, RobM, safari in my iPad/iPhone can read pdf’s generally. The problem is pdf’s that i got in my photoblogger produced website.
And I’m sorry i have’nt replied your request for a link to my website - it’s because it’s a confidential site with password protection. But if you got a iPad/iPhone phone you can try Laza’s link above. Try to look at the pdf without using the ”download” button - it won’t work.
JohnnyBalubas

Posted: 01-Apr-2019 17:51   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Laza - I assume you are talking about the ”download” button?
Laza

Posted: 02-Apr-2019 08:15   in response to: JohnnyBalubas in response to: JohnnyBalubas

Yes. The skin is using the browser's default PDF viewer plugin. If that won't work, I have no idea how this can be fixed - it's beyond a web page's competence.
JohnnyBalubas

Posted: 02-Apr-2019 09:13   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

It works fine now - with the the download button. And thats ok. But it’s strange that it isn’t working as supposed to on mobile devices.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums