This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 19 May 20, 12:51 Last Post By: JeffTucker
WillemGrooters

unable to start newly nstalled JAlbum
Posted: 2 Feb 19, 13:59

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Just downloaded the latest Jalbum version (17.1.5), Windows 10 64-bit, full version (so includes JRE). But when starting the application, I get the message:

.INI exception: failed to create the Java VM. reason: unknown

Checked installation: JRE seems to be present.

Edited by: WillemGrooters on 02-Feb-2019 14:13
davidekholm

Re: unable to start newly nstalled JAlbum
Posted: 2 Feb 19, 14:37   in response to: WillemGrooters in response to: WillemGrooters

WillemGrooters wrote:
Just downloaded the latest Jalbum version (17.1.5), Windows 10 64-bit, full version (so includes JRE). But when starting the application, I get the message:

.INI exception: failed to create the Java VM. reason: unknown

Checked installation: JRE seems to be present.

Edited by: WillemGrooters on 02-Feb-2019 14:13

We get this error reported on occasion but have never been able to reproduce it ourselves. It seems to be caused by something specific to some computers + Java 11. If we run jAlbum on Java 8 the problem is gone so please get this special version of jAlbum that runs on top of Java 8: http://jalbum.net/download/17.1/Windows/jAlbum-install-java8.exe
WillemGrooters

Posted: 2 Feb 19, 16:29   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Ok, that starts.
WillemGrooters

Posted: 18 May 20, 22:15   in response to: WillemGrooters in response to: WillemGrooters

Got the latest version today (20.1 bundled with Java) - same problem......I'm there is no Java on the machine.

Edited by: WillemGrooters on 18-May-2020 22:16
davidekholm

Posted: 19 May 20, 07:55   in response to: WillemGrooters in response to: WillemGrooters

This problem is still unresolved, but we make a workaround available every time by providing a special installer that's under the same path as the ordinary installer, but with the "-java8" addition to the file name, so the current special installer is available at http://jalbum.net/download/20.1/Windows/jAlbum-install-java8.exe
JeffTucker

Posted: 19 May 20, 12:51   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
This problem is still unresolved....

Coming late to this party, and I don't really have a good theory about why this might be happening, but I wonder if removing all Java installations - JRE's, JDK's - and scrubbing the OS of all references to them, might help.

Unless the user is using some other application that uses Java, there's no reason to have them on the machine. Other apps would be NetBeans, or some of the functions of LibreOffice Base, for example. There aren't a lot of desktop Java applications out there.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums