This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 15-Jan-2019 01:08 Last Post By: kilobravo Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
kilobravo

OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Posted: 14-Jan-2019 19:25

Click to reply to this thread Reply
JA: Added a photo to one of my galleries within my main album today and after doing a Make Album, about ten seconds later I got this unexpected error:

An unexpected error occurred. Please see detailed description below:

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
at java.desktop/java.awt.image.DataBufferByte.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.image.Raster.createInterleavedRaster(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/com.sun.imageio.plugins.jpeg.JPEGImageReader.readInternal(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/com.sun.imageio.plugins.jpeg.JPEGImageReader.readRaster(Unknown Source)
at com.twelvemonkeys.imageio.plugins.jpeg.JPEGImageReader.readImageAsRasterAndReplaceColorProfile(JPEGImageReader.java:498)
at com.twelvemonkeys.imageio.plugins.jpeg.JPEGImageReader.read(JPEGImageReader.java:388)
at se.datadosen.util.FileFilters.doLoadImage(FileFilters.java:699)
at se.datadosen.util.FileFilters.loadImage(FileFilters.java:596)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean$StandardImageProcessor.processImage(AlbumBean.java:5889)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean$StandardImageProcessor.processImages(AlbumBean.java:5753)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean$ImageProcessingTask.call(AlbumBean.java:5675)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Searched here and on the Web, couldn't find much (that I could understand,) :-) but since JA contains its own copy of Java, I figured you folks would know the answer. :-)

I don't THINK I've done anything differently with JA, still using Tiger/Linen and Make Album worked just fine a couple days ago. Haven't added any other software or done anything to Windoze.

BTW, there are 857 images in this particular gallery. ("RECENT") and the error triggers when processing #419. I expect that is when Java runs out of memory. At first, I thought I had the problem figured out when I took a closer look at the files in that RECENT folder. There were about a dozen .PSD files that were quite large. I made JPG's of them and then deleted. Finally, closed/restarted JA, did a Make Album, and got the same out of memory heap space error.

I also have some video clips in that folder but they seem to work as advertised and I THINK I remember reading that JA supports video.

So, I'm at a loss for possible answers and will greatly appreciate any and all help.

TIA,

KB

Edited by: kilobravo on 14-Jan-2019 19:28
jGromit

Re: OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Posted: 14-Jan-2019 20:07   in response to: kilobravo in response to: kilobravo

Try adding that one photo (the one you just added, which triggered the error) to a new, otherwise empty album project, and try to make an album. Do you still get the error? If so, please upload that image somewhere and give us a link to it (assuming it's too large for an attachment here).
kilobravo

Posted: 14-Jan-2019 20:27   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Good thought but the test album worked flawlessly so it wasn't the image.
jGromit

Posted: 14-Jan-2019 20:36   in response to: kilobravo in response to: kilobravo

If it always fails at object #419, that points very clearly to a problem with that one, particular image. Because the process is multithreaded, if it were just "running out of room," it wouldn't always happen at precisely the same spot. Instead, that error suggests that there's something wonky about the internal formating of one image. You're going to need to track down which one it is.

ETA: I'm assuming you've already taken the standard "cure" for a heap space error: https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=38632
kilobravo

Posted: 15-Jan-2019 00:04   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

JG: I'm ashamed to admit it but I couldn't find that reference but I must say, the forum is daunting sometimes. Anyway, the "usual fix" fixed my problem and thank you so much.
jGromit

Posted: 15-Jan-2019 00:09   in response to: kilobravo in response to: kilobravo

Glad that cured it. But the default setting is already pretty high - you must be feeding it some truly humongous image files!
kilobravo

Posted: 15-Jan-2019 00:55   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Well, I guess I am but I never considered full-size originals from a modern DSLR, 4k drone, or mobile phone would be that large in today's context. I guess with all the FB attention (and lousy images,) perhaps it is.

Anyway, if you're curious (not likely,) :-) I currently have:

7221 JPG's in that Album that total 17gb. So that's an average of 2.4mb per image...not all that big is it? But, I do have over a 100 of them are are 10mb or larger with the largest one being 67mb.

Only two videos, 20mb/50mb respectively.

And that's it.

P.S. The rendered JA online album has 13,763 files using 8.9gb.

Thanks again for the help but for some reason, JA decided to re-make all the images so I'm waiting on a long upload. :-) (NOT complaining.)

KB

Edited by: kilobravo on 15-Jan-2019 01:05
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums